i need to activate sport chrono

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Audi
Country flag
You don’t think SC requires a software controller to operate or you don’t think additional software upload is required to use it? It absolutely requires software to operate, and you would either have to purchase additional code from Porsche or obtain a code from Porsche to unlock software already on the car, similar to PSP
Of course this is a software-based feature. However, that software exists in every Taycan produced, regardless of configuration. No “new software” is required. The feature just needs to be surfaced by the appropriate configuration; the challenge is identifying the process to do so. I agree that an unlock code will likely be required to do this through PIWIS. Not specifically to unlock an individual feature, but rather to enable reconfiguration when control modules are replaced.

It’s not a simple dial install and PWISIS change. Do you really think Porsche would make it that easy to work around one of their most profitable options?
I activated PIWIS in my other Porsche and it was just installation of the knob and activation through PIWIS. Do you really think enough people will go through the effort of retrofitting this option for it to have an impact on Porsche’s financials? Especially given their parts margins on the retrofit hardware exceeds their margins on factory-fit?
Sponsored

androst

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T 4S '22
Country flag
Did you manage to crack this and retrofit the sports chrono dial and get it working?
Yes. Pain in the ass. Archimedes easy steps to become an alcoholic is not incorrect.

My strong advice is to either be happy without the SC or sell the car and buy one without retrofiting it. Sorry about the lack of updates.

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
Configure a new 4S on the porsche configurator and click the i(=information) next to sport chrono package. You'll get a popup showing that it's more than just the knob.
What a knob ! ;-)

JP_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I actually only want it for the dial. No interest in the clock on the dashboard.
I’m surprised Porsche doesn’t offer this as an aftermarket retro upgrade, like they do for example on other models.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I actually only want it for the dial. No interest in the clock on the dashboard.
I’m surprised Porsche doesn’t offer this as an aftermarket retro upgrade, like they do for example on other models.
Because they know you want the knob and will pay for the steering wheel and clock that you don’t want just to have the knob and make more money. I would also have taken the knob only if possible !

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Maybe check a few breaker/scrap yards. Taycans seem to get written-off due to a bit of body work judging by a few threads on here. Probably a few nearly new steering wheels and clock thingies kicking around.

Software stuff - well above my pay grade.

JP_21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thread bump. Has anyone successfully retrofitted the sports chrono knob to the steering wheel? Androst - how did you do it? Any pics?

androst

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T 4S '22
Country flag
I think retrofitting the knob is possible but new steering wheel trim needed. Better to buy complete wheel.

Sport+ is not enabled just beacuse the knob is installed, but the knob will work. New/used parts need coding to match VIN.

Retrofitting the clock is possible but a mess as the MIB (computer) is lying on top of the chassis, underneath the dash. Cheap clocks can be bought off of Aliexpress/Alibaba, but will only show the time, not do any timing as OEM functionality. Some of them have LED lights installed, those needs to be popped with a needle as OEM doesn't have those LED lights. Also the LEDs reflect in the windshield.

Today, coders are not yet able to software-retrofit/install (I think its actually coding, changing bytes) to enable real Sport Chrono functionality. Several months ago I checked, but I doubt that it is possible. For Panamera, the functionality is possible to retrofit from Porsche. Hence it can be done with a PIWIS (V3 I think, not sure).

My strong advice:
If you are a person that keeps a car for 3-4 years and you want to spend $1-2k USD to get Sport Chrono in your Taycan, without any extra functionality but at least removing the empty look - Do the retrofit if you can source the parts and find the competence to code the parts to your Taycan's VIN.

Good luck guys.
Sponsored