WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Let us know how much you pay for GAP. I was going to research that myself soon. PRG quote £465 for £50k for 3 year cover. It is usually massively cheaper from insurance market.
Will do. Thanks for the info. I've only looked at ALA so far as they seem highly recommended- £542 for the same cover as PRG...but they exclude vehicles priced over £125k which mine just exceeds.
Sponsored

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Will do. Thanks for the info. I've only looked at ALA so far as they seem highly recommended- £542 for the same cover as PRG...but they exclude vehicles priced over £125k which mine just exceeds.
Mine is just over £100k so much smaller gap to cover

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
To get 3yr RTI cover for vehicle priced > £125k, I'm looking at £649 with Fortegra...so £107 more than ALA (whose policy excludes vehicles >£125k).

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
To get 3yr RTI cover for vehicle priced > £125k, I'm looking at £649 with Fortegra...so £107 more than ALA (whose policy excludes vehicles >£125k).
What a pain the £125k cap is! Does your main policy provide replacement with new or back to invoice for the first year?

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
What a pain the £125k cap is! Does your main policy provide replacement with new or back to invoice for the first year?
It (Admiral) would provide a new vehicle replacement of "same model and specification" BUT (as posted upthread) there's a get-out clause that looks 100% likely to trigger with a Taycan- if one of the same model and specification is not available from UK stock, the most they'll pay is the market value. (Perhaps not an issue when market value is higher than invoice price, but I'm not banking on that or insurance companies accepting it).

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
It (Admiral) would provide a new vehicle replacement of "same model and specification" BUT (as posted upthread) there's a get-out clause that looks 100% likely to trigger with a Taycan- if one of the same model and specification is not available from UK stock, the most they'll pay is the market value. (Perhaps not an issue when market value is higher than invoice price, but I'm not banking on that or insurance companies accepting it).
Yep Aviva has the same wording

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thats why they invented GAP insurance covering the car for 3 years.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Thats why they invented GAP insurance covering the car for 3 years.
I've learned that, although for the 1st 12 months, a fully comp policy's New Replacement cover could be adequate, it's not for a highly optionable relatively low production volume vehicle with overwhelming demand.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SST, 718 Boxster S, Nissan Juke
Country flag
Paul

Enjoy your new car, I'm due to collect my Taycan 4SST next Thursday.

Re gap insurance - I used to work for an actuarial consultancy in London which had an insurance division. I asked them about gap insurance once and they said it is highly profitable for the insurers (think high premiums), the probability of you making a claim is very low, and you should consider if this peace of mind is worth it for you.

And yes, there will be the odd case of someone having to make a claim and saying how fantastic it was (for them).

I'm out.

ATB
David

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Paul

Re gap insurance - I used to work for an actuarial consultancy in London which had an insurance division. I asked them about gap insurance once and they said it is highly profitable for the insurers (think high premiums), the probability of you making a claim is very low, and you should consider if this peace of mind is worth it for you.

And yes, there will be the odd case of someone having to make a claim and saying how fantastic it was (for them).

I'm out.

ATB
David
No-one buys insurance for the ‘expected value’, they buy insurance to protect against extreme events (low probability, high impact) which could cause losses if many multiples of the premium.

Same with the extended warranty.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Paul

I'm out.

ATB
David
Thanks David- the first 3 days have exceeded the high hopes I had for it- I hope you enjoy a similar experience next week.
I took a GAP policy because, as per Sidicks point, it covers a hopefully highly unlikely event that would have major financial (and morale!) impact- it cost just under 0.5% of the price of the car for 3 years, which I judged reasonable for my peace of mind.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SST, 718 Boxster S, Nissan Juke
Country flag
No-one buys insurance for the ‘expected value’, they buy insurance to protect against extreme events (low probability, high impact) which could cause losses if many multiples of the premium.

Same with the extended warranty.
Each to their own.

D

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Each to their own.

D
Are you saying that when you buy insurance you expect to receive back more than your premium?

Like with any insurance product, you should shop around!
Sponsored

Last edited: