Is it ethical to purchase a lithium battery powered EV? - Article

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I just about lost it at this point

"Since you’ve probably read about EV fires, here’s a site that keeps tabs just on TESLA EV fires https://www.tesla-fire.com/, now at 85 and growing almost daily. "

Now I hate Tesla as much as anyone, but when you call 85 fires in 9 years (or even 5 fires in the month of May) as "growing almost daily", you've just lost all credibility. Seriously, if that counts as almost daily, I'm almost a billionaire.

Beyond that though, there isn't really much of an attempt at actually quantifying the impact of BEVs vs ICE cars other than talking about how much mining needs to happen to make a battery and the energy used to do so, which of course ignores that those materials can and almost certainly will be recycled to make more batteries in the future as well.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
EPA EV Facts and Myths can be useful. Anyone that wants to minimally impact the environment should walk or ride a bicycle ;) Anything else is a matter of the best choice, or least evil choice if you prefer. If this were an EV evangelist-type forum there would likely be a lot of discussions around these topics.

Now maybe I'm alone, but the only reason I bought an EV was that Porsche made one. It would probably have been years more before I bought an EV otherwise, although I'm sure I would have eventually warmed up to the idea.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
EPA EV Facts and Myths can be useful. Anyone that wants to minimally impact the environment should walk or ride a bicycle ;) Anything else is a matter of the best choice, or least evil choice if you prefer. If this were an EV evangelist-type forum there would likely be a lot of discussions around these topics.

Now maybe I'm alone, but the only reason I bought an EV was that Porsche made one. It would probably have been years more before I bought an EV otherwise, although I'm sure I would have eventually warmed up to the idea.
I bought an EV because I wanted to play a small role in promoting their adoption and because it’s a better mode of transportation for my daily needs than ICE cars. I bought a Taycan because it’s the best driving EV. After driving an EV for 3 years, the idea of going back to a machine that must be filled with explosive, messy, smelly liquid in order to cause 5000+ small explosions per minute seems antiquated to me, and so I’m confident that my future vehicles will not be so oriented.

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
Is it ethical to purchase anything? You will eat the bugs, you will live in the pods, you will own nothing. /s

Anything from Heartland Institute is like anything from Project Lincoln. Different side, same bullshit.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
You are not alone.
i was waiting to Porsche as well.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Follow the money. Whenever anyone promotes something, ask who provides their funding and who won't they take money from. There's always an agenda and some are better than others.
Sponsored