Ll312

First Name
LL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, S7, Q8
Country flag
I’m sitting here at a EA 150 kW station and going at 53kW. I preconditioned and got the battery to 89F and ambient temperature is 37F. Battery at 15% when I started.
I’ve charged at this location in the past and have gotten up to 130kW and I’ve been able to charge as fast as 200kW in the past at a 350kW station. I’ve switched stalls and got similar charge rates.

The polestar next to me is going at 67kW and beating me :(

After preconditioning and arriving at a low soc I expected at least 100kW or more, am I wrong?
Sponsored

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I find that it’s somewhat random based on the local infrastructure power availability and the presence of others charging at the location. Don’t think it has anything to do with your car.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
89 is not very warm for being preconditioned. Should be closer to 110 IIRC.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
89 is not very warm for being preconditioned. Should be closer to 110 IIRC.
I was told 70-90. I’ve repeatedly charged in the low 90sF and still didn’t get super high speeds, even at low SOC. The kWH stated on the charger is meaningless if the site isn’t getting the power to begin with. Twice I’ve gotten a message saying ‘charging reduced due to load balancing of infrastructure’.

Uknown

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY20
Country flag
Any chance the chargers were shared? I have been to a couple that are shared power between 2 chargers. I would start off near 150, then some one would pull in and I would see it drop as they used a chunk of the shared power.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I was told 70-90. I’ve repeatedly charged in the low 90sF and still didn’t get super high speeds, even at low SOC. The kWH stated on the charger is meaningless if the site isn’t getting the power to begin with. Twice I’ve gotten a message saying ‘charging reduced due to load balancing of infrastructure’.
When I charge at high speed my battery temp starts in triple digits.

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
If you're not starting in triple digits unplug and try a different pedestal.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’m sitting here at a EA 150 kW station and going at 53kW. I preconditioned and got the battery to 89F and ambient temperature is 37F. Battery at 15% when I started.
I’ve charged at this location in the past and have gotten up to 130kW and I’ve been able to charge as fast as 200kW in the past at a 350kW station. I’ve switched stalls and got similar charge rates.

The polestar next to me is going at 67kW and beating me :(

After preconditioning and arriving at a low soc I expected at least 100kW or more, am I wrong?
32C is about right but remember that regardless of whatever temperature your battery is at when you start the charging session the early stage of charging will raise the temperature to what it determines as optimum. This typically only takes a few short minutes.

Likely explanation is local infrastructure limitations, loading, throttling by the operator and so on.
Sponsored