"It's better in every single way"

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
1712349297340-do.png

Hm, I wonder what that alternative colour scheme is about, where the front inlet blades are black. I haven't seen that in the configurator. Feels a bit Audi E-tron GT esque to me.
The two exterior package options on the US Turbo+ configurator do this:
  • Sport Design Package in Carbon Fiber
  • Sport Design Package in High Gloss
The picture is too blurry to figure. It looks too flat to be gloss black, but doesn’t really look like CF either.

I’m ok with the new front Turbo bumper, but not like this.

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
The two exterior package options on the US Turbo+ configurator do this:
  • Sport Design Package in Carbon Fiber
  • Sport Design Package in High Gloss
The picture is too blurry to figure. It looks too flat to be gloss black, but doesn’t really look like CF either.

I’m ok with the new front Turbo bumper, but not like this.
Ah, I see now. It appears to be a bug in the configurator where these options don't appear for the Turbo S model, only the Turbo model.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
I really hadn't considered this until seeing a few Panameras on the road today. Anyone else thinking the Taycan front end update was to purposely try and make it more closely resemble an ICE and draw more potential buyers?

A fail for me, as I like that the .1 looks different from everything else Porsche builds.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I really hadn't considered this until seeing a few Panameras on the road today. Anyone else thinking the Taycan front end update was to purposely try and make it more closely resemble an ICE and draw more potential buyers?

A fail for me, as I like that the .1 looks different from everything else Porsche builds.
One if the things I love most about the Taycan is it looks like an ICE both inside and out. I get so many comments like “that’s an EV?” while I’m charging, so I don’t believe the feedbacks they get are that it looks too much like an EV. I think it’s mostly for aerodynamics.

DoctorLife

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Sure, the headline is Gen .2 is better in every way. For me though, not nearly enough to be remotely concerned about a few miles extra range (and worse looks) to trade in my Gen .1 in an era of rapidly developing battery technology.

With the Mercedes Vision EQXX in favourable conditions capable of 8.4 miles/kWh with nearly 800 miles range on a single charge, and that’s right now, this Gen .2 is already out of date…..I’ve read Porsche aren’t even especially concerned about focussing on solid state batteries either as they feel the Li-ion format has a lot of development potential ahead.

I’ll be keeping my rather fetching Gen .1 for a few years yet….

Last edited:

D00

First Name
Doo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne, Much Missed 911 C4S
Country flag
Nope.

Lease deals are poor and reflect the turmoil in the EV market. Expensive upgrade for 50 or so extra real world miles and a bump in power which isn't really what it needed.. Same car otherwise - its a face-lift however you cut it.
Lease deals reflect the residual price and borrowing rate.
Will the new one depreciate any less?
Unless someone else is paying, or you have it to burn, stick with what you’ve got.

Longy_UK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Is certainly better in every way - especially price!

I spec'd a new 4s to the same level as my GTS and its £136,087 with some options missing. Oh and that doesn't include the new battery - that brings it to £139,693.

Even with a 10% discount I cant see many of these getting sold...

Reactions: D00

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Is certainly better in every way - especially price!

I spec'd a new 4s to the same level as my GTS and its £136,087 with some options missing. Oh and that doesn't include the new battery - that brings it to £139,693.

Even with a 10% discount I cant see many of these getting sold...
I did a similar thing.
The performance difference is academic for me on our local roads, it is chassis not power which counts.
My range has never been a problem so far.

I did rather like the Blackberry and crayon interior option but hated that you have to have the electric charge doors on it though I didn't check whether the mechanism continues to block the air curtain.

There was nothing else in the options list which was enough to tip the balance and it looks too much like a Panamera to me and I don't much like that.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
It's better in every single way

umm no..
it’s still CCS1 with no supercharger access yet
and OTA updates are still a fantasy
and it’s PCM software is still slow and takes forever to boot and launch apps
innodrive still sucks
and the backup camera aspect ratio is still horrible

mechanically i’m sure the statement is 100% true

Reactions: D00

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I did a similar thing.
The performance difference is academic for me on our local roads, it is chassis not power which counts.
My range has never been a problem so far.

I did rather like the Blackberry and crayon interior option but hated that you have to have the electric charge doors on it though I didn't check whether the mechanism continues to block the air curtain.

There was nothing else in the options list which was enough to tip the balance and it looks too much like a Panamera to me and I don't much like that.
First time I noticed your new avatar photo. Quite retro and fun to look at - thanks for the update. Where was this taken and what which one is of these folks is you? 😀

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
First time I noticed your new avatar photo. Quite retro and fun to look at - thanks for the update. Where was this taken and what which one is of these folks is you? 😀
This one was taken at the Argentinian GP 1978.
I am the one in the middle, it was my second full season in F1, the driver is Divina Galica who didn't qualify, unfortunately.

If you are into F1 the guy on the right is Charlie Whiting having his first ever F1 race as a mechanic.
Charlie went to Brabham as a mechanic when Hesketh stopped rose to chief mechanic and eventually became Race Director and chaired the technical working group and is much missed now RIP.

Edit
Porsche Taycan "It's better in every single way" me davina and charlie

Argentina was a military dictatorship at the time and there were armed soldiers all tound the circuit and a tank parked on the central reservation of the road to the circuit just in case there was some sort of insurrection at what was a rare international sporting event there. It was the first event of the 1978 World Championship.

Last edited:

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This one was taken at the Argentinian GP 1978.
I am the one in the middle, it was my second full season in F1, the driver is Divina Galica who didn't qualify, unfortunately.

If you are into F1 the guy on the right is Charlie Whiting having his first ever F1 race as a mechanic.
Charlie went to Brabham as a mechanic when Hesketh stopped rose to chief mechanic and eventually became Race Director and chaired the technical working group and is much missed now RIP.

Edit
me davina and charlie.jpg

Argentina was a military dictatorship at the time and there were armed soldiers all tound the circuit and a tank parked on the central reservation of the road to the circuit just in case there was some sort of insurrection at what was a rare international sporting event there. It was the first event of the 1978 World Championship.
What a great memory! Thanks so much for sharing!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Sure, the headline is Gen .2 is better in every way. For me though, not nearly enough to be remotely concerned about a few miles extra range (and worse looks) to trade in my Gen .1 in an era of rapidly developing battery technology.

With the Mercedes Vision EQXX in favourable conditions capable of 8.4 miles/kWh with nearly 800 miles range on a single charge, and that’s right now, this Gen .2 is already out of date…..I’ve read Porsche aren’t even especially concerned about focussing on solid state batteries either as they feel the Li-ion format has a lot of development potential ahead.

I’ll be keeping my rather fetching Gen .1 for a few years yet….
I couldn't agree more. In fact, the battery tech is still evolving fast and prices dropping like a stone. I guess in a few years, we can get great battery upgrades for these excellent cars and drive them for many many years without a hitch...

Would it be consivable, that with new lighter batteries, new models will be build accordingly, which would make the old quality EVs quite a desirable commodity?

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Would it be consivable, that with new lighter batteries, new models will be build accordingly, which would make the old quality EVs quite a desirable commodity?
That's my hope, that updated batteries will be modular enough to use in older cars and keep them going strong. We'll have to wait and see to what level the industry decides to support older EVs on the road.

OP
OP

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I couldn't agree more. In fact, the battery tech is still evolving fast and prices dropping like a stone. I guess in a few years, we can get great battery upgrades for these excellent cars and drive them for many many years without a hitch...

Nice to think about but unlikely. Porsche now wants you to trade your car every few years for a new one with more features at a higher price, like an iphone. Upgrading just the batteries makes it look more like a razor, so they would have to make their money on the batteries.
Sponsored