Just ordered....

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just paid my $2500 for a slot at my local dealer in Minnesota, USA. The slot is for a 2021 that will go into production in December and arrive here in February (most likely). It sounds like the dealer wants 10 to 15% down when it goes into production. Though there was some confusing talk over the phone about getting the down payment sooner. What did others do?
In my case I would like to be able to change to a Sport Turismo if it is announced before December and I like the way it looks.
The amount of down payment and amount when it goes into production depends on the dealer and how good of relationship you have with them. If a bunch of people cancelled their orders due to covid/economy, I wouldn't be surprised if they were asking for larger payments now. I have seen small amounts of $4k to 10% when the order status is "locked" (usually right before production") It makes no sense for them to get that down payment any sooner than that since they are not on the hook for the car.

Also, IIRC, once the order is locked, the dealer is on the hook for it, so for them to switch you to a Turismo at that point, still means they need to find someone to buy that car from them.

Of course, the dealer can always argue with corporate and so on, but they will do that based on whether they want to have that fight or save that for another customer 's issue.
Sponsored

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I just paid my $2500 for a slot at my local dealer in Minnesota, USA. The slot is for a 2021 that will go into production in December and arrive here in February (most likely). It sounds like the dealer wants 10 to 15% down when it goes into production. Though there was some confusing talk over the phone about getting the down payment sooner. What did others do?
In my case I would like to be able to change to a Sport Turismo if it is announced before December and I like the way it looks.
Although each dealer is free to do whatever it wants, the request for such a large additional down payment is out of line from what I think most reputable Porsche dealers in the US are requiring. For my Taycan, I put down a very small deposit when I configured my car. Nothing else was paid until the car was delivered. The demand for the Taycan will continue to be strong through 2021 especially with the delays in 2020. If they are a decent dealer they should be able to sell any of the cancelled orders. Both of the Porsche dealers I do business with told me that June was their best month ever for sales.

I think your dealer already has his hands in your pocket.

Jaydoc

First Name
Judith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Targa, Taycan on order
Country flag
Congratulations, It's a little worrisome that the dealer wants more $ at production. Mine didn't. They don't have much confidence in the car being a success.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Hello, fellow Minnesotan. The two dealership in the Twin Cities have same owner, so similar policies. When I ordered they asked for a 10% of the MSRP deposit (your initial $2500 rolls into that). I see other dealers have different policies, but it may also depend on how long you were a customer (this was my first Porsche).

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Also all dealers claim there is no discount on MSRP at this time. Probably if you order this is true. But like with any other car, if the item is on the lot and does not sell instantly, there is a little room to wiggle.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If they are a decent dealer they should be able to sell any of the cancelled orders.
I believe the cars will sell of course, but depending on how it is configured, they may have trouble finding someone willing to pay MSRP for features they don’t really value - for instance, if the car has the Burmeister and the ceramic brakes.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe the cars will sell of course, but depending on how it is configured, they may have trouble finding someone willing to pay MSRP for features they don’t really value - for instance, if the car has the Burmeister and the ceramic brakes.
@Reg I agree with you, but keep in mind the dealer doesn’t need to find a replacement buyer at MSRP to make a profit. I bought a Panamera Turbo that had some features “I didn’t need.“ $30k off the sticker made those features magically tolerable. I’m sure they didn’t lose any money, and they have since sold me 5 more Porsche’s including my Taycan which they did do something on too without me asking.

I guess some dealers are more invested in developing long term relationships versus short sighted practices that start off the relationship on the wrong foot. Since I took delivery of my Taycan in April, I have given my sales associate two more leads that have both resulted in sales.

@Jimmy congratulations on the purchase. It will be an awesome car.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
...the dealer wants 10 to 15% down when it goes into production. Though there was some confusing talk over the phone about getting the down payment sooner. What did others do?
Congrats!

15% down with signing order contract.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Although each dealer is free to do whatever it wants, the request for such a large additional down payment is out of line from what I think most reputable Porsche dealers in the US are requiring. For my Taycan, I put down a very small deposit when I configured my car. Nothing else was paid until the car was delivered. The demand for the Taycan will continue to be strong through 2021 especially with the delays in 2020. If they are a decent dealer they should be able to sell any of the cancelled orders. Both of the Porsche dealers I do business with told me that June was their best month ever for sales.

I think your dealer already has his hands in your pocket.
But then you have a good long term relationship with your dealer. Different for first time buyer?

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But then you have a good long term relationship with your dealer. Different for first time buyer?
When I bought my first Porsche I was never asked for a large deposit. I think it was a $500 deposit. I have never had to pay a large deposit for any of the different brands of cars I have purchased over the years. The most surprising event was when I bought my first Aston Martin. The dealer told me that I would not need a certified or bank check for the purchase price at delivery. They told me that my personal check was fine.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
When I bought my first Porsche I was never asked for a large deposit. I think it was a $500 deposit. I have never had to pay a large deposit for any of the different brands of cars I have purchased over the years. The most surprising event was when I bought my first Aston Martin. The dealer told me that I would not need a certified or bank check for the purchase price at delivery. They told me that my personal check was fine.
I put $3K down with my dealer, but nothing after that. I paid with a personal check as well and was surprised they’d take one that large.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Are you sure you can keep your place in the queue if you change models? I took an allocation for a 4S (now in production) because the salesman said the allocations for the Turbo and Turbo S were all taken for any that would be delivered this calendar year. (I understand I could have probably found a Turbo or Turbo S allocation at a dealership outside my area, but I'm making the point here that, according to my salesman, the allocations are specific to the model.)

Jon Steinmetz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Are you sure you can keep your place in the queue if you change models? I took an allocation for a 4S (now in production) because the salesman said the allocations for the Turbo and Turbo S were all taken for any that would be delivered this calendar year. (I understand I could have probably found a Turbo or Turbo S allocation at a dealership outside my area, but I'm making the point here that, according to my salesman, the allocations are specific to the model.)
I have not hashed out all the details yet, I will probably do that next week. In my case my goal is to secure a spot in line for a regular 4S now. If the Turismo is announced and I decide I really want that model I would not mind losing my place. What I am trying to avoid is either the Turismo announcement getting delayed or my deciding I don't want it and then getting in line for a 4S at that time, thus delaying my fun by many more months. :)

Cilviloze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, MB E class, MB S class, Alphard
Country flag
In my country, it's 10% of based price + 100% of all the options.

You could pay 10% to get the allocation spot first, and pay the 100% later, before the locked date.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
In my country, it's 10% of based price + 100% of all the options.

You could pay 10% to get the allocation spot first, and pay the 100% later, before the locked date.
Wow. That is a lot of money.... I suspect you also pay much more for the vehicle knowing the high import taxes
Sponsored