First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
Seems to be lots of possibilities!
I was told by my dealer that the key fob flashes red when it is close to the vehicle.
This is true, but I can think of no reason why anyone would want this. Surely if I am that close to the vehicle and can’t see it, I do not have good enough eye sight to drive.
There must be something else.
Sponsored

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Seems to be lots of possibilities!
I was told by my dealer that the key fob flashes red when it is close to the vehicle.
This is true, but I can think of no reason why anyone would want this. Surely if I am that close to the vehicle and can’t see it, I do not have good enough eye sight to drive.
There must be something else.
Significantly, with all the key fob flashing that happens I do wonder if that’s why my car is now reporting a low battery in key fob message. That’s showing after only 2 months of ownership. Has anyone else had this?

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
8 months here on original key fob batteries.

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Why does the key flash red (around the Porsche crest) occasionally?

what am I doing or not doing to cause this?
A quick search of the US manual using the key word Hazard warning. It explains all the times and number of flashes on the key fob and what events activate this.
Additionally, the search for hazard warning is for the actual warning hazard or emergency lights.
Some interesting notes about when the hazards will activate automatically anticipating a collision. Pages 112, 113, 140,141 and 151.

4SJB

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT Mini Cooper S Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Country flag
Significantly, with all the key fob flashing that happens I do wonder if that’s why my car is now reporting a low battery in key fob message. That’s showing after only 2 months of ownership. Has anyone else had this?
Try storing the key fob in the rear cup holder whilst you are driving. According to my Sales Exec this will lengthen the life of the battery.
Of course you could have had a dodgy battery at delivery.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Try storing the key fob in the rear cup holder whilst you are driving. According to my Sales Exec this will lengthen the life of the battery.
Thought the manual suggests the front cupholder - but that may be for better RFID recognition, Now in the habit or tossing the key (attached to a Porsche red-cloth door-handle key ring) in the front cupholder. Hard for me to forget when leaving.

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
thanks.

Porsche-Guru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, BMW 535, Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes that's what Porsche are thinking with this approach. Consider a not-too-distant-future platform where you subscribe to a car service, your one key unlocks whatever car you have selected that day and retrieves your preferences from the cloud (at least those relevant to the selected vehicle). Or a multi-Porsche household where you and your significant other routinely swap cars.
This has been available on BMW’s (Connected Drive) for at least 6 years, probably longer !
Get into any BMW, login with your profile username/password, and the basic settings like radio stations, temp A/C settings, etc… are loaded automatically. If the same car or similar model, even mirror positions, seat settings and other bits are restored automatically.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Why does the key flash red (around the Porsche crest) occasionally?

what am I doing or not doing to cause this?
It is activated when in close proximity to the car (within 2 m) on the basis that you want to open the car.

Your fob battery will drain quickly if you leave your key close the the car which won't be fun when the battery runs out

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Cheers Pal
There is no relationship between a flashing fob and preheat / precool. What you are referring to is the preheat / precool on door unlock option if enabled in the PCM. An annoying and somewhat pointless feature IMHO.

Flashing is simply due to the key being within 2m of the car as it gets activated by the car"s proximity sensor.
Sponsored