Major Fire at Port of Benicia (Northern California)

shelt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S; '18 Tesla Model 3
Country flag
FYI, there is currently a 4-alarm fire at Amports Benicia. It's still burning vigorously. It's unclear what the extent of it is, or how it will affect VW vehicle offloading operations there. So far, no docked ships are involved.

Video of Early Part of Fire
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
Unlikely to affect things much if the fire is contained. It's on one of the two roads to the docks so far, it's not near the Amports location VW uses.

If the second land connection from the dock stays fine, it'll be OK. If there are structural issues and the docks become unusable, that's a different story. It does seem like the fire is spreading a little.

Porsche Taycan Major Fire at Port of Benicia (Northern California) Screenshot 2022-04-09 at 15.44.13

Last edited:
OP
OP
shelt

shelt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S; '18 Tesla Model 3
Country flag
The fire burned up to the second access road off the wharf as well (where the ship is in your photo). You can see it in the video link in my first post. I suspect there will be some integrity issues (or structural analysis required at a minimum) on the main wharf. If so, I wonder if VW could shift their offloading ops to, say, Richmond?

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
The problem is likely the PDI facilities Amports has, if Benicia has no available docks for a while. I think it's more likely they'll just offload everything in San Diego instead.

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
The fire burned up to the second access road off the wharf as well (where the ship is in your photo). You can see it in the video link in my first post. I suspect there will be some integrity issues (or structural analysis required at a minimum) on the main wharf. If so, I wonder if VW could shift their offloading ops to, say, Richmond?
I was tempted to take a quick trip out there this morning to see if I could glimpse a row of Taycans covered in protective wrap through the cyclone fence. Been a while since I've been out there and didn't know if Bayshore and Oak were still accessible. Used to see it everyday either on 680 or Amtrak. North wind today, so hopefully blowing the smoke away from my CT parked in the lot ?? Thanks for the post..

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update from local 5 pm news. Some structures appear to have burned and smoke is easily visible in Fairfield. Evacuations still possible, depending on the wind..

rcsting

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Here is another view of the fire. The vehicles aren’t near the fire although the access road from the ships looks completely burned. It looks like no ships will be docking in Benicia for a while.
Porsche Taycan Major Fire at Port of Benicia (Northern California) 1EEF657F-E187-4A3E-9F0F-236B97828700
Porsche Taycan Major Fire at Port of Benicia (Northern California) 0773917F-A841-407B-877A-42A3BFF178D7

Westbyz80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Oh jeez…my Taycan is due at Benicia in a couple of weeks. Wonder if delivery will be delayed as a result. Hope everyone over there is ok!

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, my CT is at Benicia and I'm hoping the inside doesn't smell like smoke. From NBC Bay Area:

“What’s burning is the timber that’s been soaked in creosote and that also is hazardous. When it burns, it’s not good smoke,” said Benicia fire chief Josh Chadwick.

Local residents are reporting the air is filled with the smelly smoke and according to the Mayor of Benicia “It may be a day or even more before it’s actually put out,”.

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, Taycan CT4, 992 Carrera,
Country flag
Wow Pcar deliveries just can't catch a break it seems this year. First Felicity Ace now this. SMDH

Westbyz80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan
Country flag
The Glovis Comet is the next ship with our cars set to arrive at Benicia, I believe. It’s currently in San Diego. I wonder if they just offload everything for California in SD…
Sponsored