Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I thought these cars updated over the air like Tesla?
You must be new to this forum. This has been a key complaint from Taycan owners.
That said, with Tesla (I own a model Y) its sometimes "one step forwards, two steps back" with their over the air updates. When Tesla came out with V11 back in December 2021, it was a BIG step back. But with the latest over the air updates, they have corrected most of the problems with V11 and its working much better (at least for me).
But I still see comments like these on the Tesla forum:
"Screen freezing after 2022.20.6 update
Has anyone had issue with their screen freezing for about 30 seconds after the update? Mine will freeze randomly, work for a while then freeze up again. It’s annoying because I have the pin setup to drive and I have to wait hoping it unfreezes. I did do a reboot of the screen and it still randomly freezes."

OP
OP
Basebull7

Basebull7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You must be new to this forum. This has been a key complaint from Taycan owners.
That said, with Tesla (I own a model Y) its sometimes "one step forwards, two steps back" with their over the air updates. When Tesla came out with V11 back in December 2021, it was a BIG step back. But with the latest over the air updates, they have corrected most of the problems with V11 and its working much better (at least for me).
But I still see comments like these on the Tesla forum:
"Screen freezing after 2022.20.6 update
Has anyone had issue with their screen freezing for about 30 seconds after the update? Mine will freeze randomly, work for a while then freeze up again. It’s annoying because I have the pin setup to drive and I have to wait hoping it unfreezes. I did do a reboot of the screen and it still randomly freezes."
Thank you.

Deleted member 7736

My understanding is that Porsche is trying to move toward OTA updates for at least some items, and these dealer-installed updates are a step in that direction by enabling certain systems of the car to be updated OTA down the road. However, the major updates that everyone is discussing at the moment have to be installed by the dealer. I have an appt to take mine in next week, and they told me to plan on it taking a couple of days.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If you wanted to know why this can't be done, I can explain, this is an immaturity in how Porsche is managing the fleet, over the air updates is not just vehicle connectivity, that's one item, but all the work in the background to stay organized to send out sprint updates is another matter (not developed yet). It will happen, it will just take a while to get there. Porsche does not have the software developed yet. For those of us early Tesla adopters the updates didn't happen that fast, it was a slow start as well.

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Audi
Country flag
The problem is that the Taycan has a mix of newer software-defined/consolidated ECU architecture and the legacy distributed ECU architecture. Some things can be updated OTA; others required a trip to the dealer. CARIAD, the software division of VW/Audi/Porsche, is working on a next-gen, fully software-defined architecture. It's behind schedule and the CEO was just replaced because of it. But I have no doubt that when the next-gen architecture is released, it will have full OTA capabilities, just like Tesla.
Sponsored