Manual (unpowered) charge port questions

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I have a couple of questions regarding the regular, unpowered charge port on a Tayan CT.
  1. Can either port be opened at any time, or only if the car is unlocked?
  2. If you forget to close it, does the car give you a warning that the port is open?
Sponsored

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
I have a couple of questions regarding the regular, unpowered charge port on a Tayan CT.
  2. If you forget to close it, does the car give you a warning that the port is open?
on q. 2 the question is yes as I have experienced several times driving off with it open

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
I seems to be...
1) either one or the other but only when unlocked
2) yes

HerrCooles

First Name
Herr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ice grey
Country flag
2) no, if it is electric then it closes automatically.

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
The clue is in the OP

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
How fast do you need to drive for the port to close from the wind or acceleration g-forces?

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
Flap closes automatically but gets stuck on the fast charging flap very easily. It’s a really crappy design.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Flap closes automatically but gets stuck on the fast charging flap very easily. It’s a really crappy design.
I think you're talking about the powered charge port. I've experienced this too. The OP was asking about the non-powered port though.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
on q. 2 the question is yes as I have experienced several times driving off with it open
And just to confirm, you have the manual, not the powered/motorized power port, correct?

I'm asking this because I'm trying to decide whether or not I want the powered port for my build. Having been driving EV's for 8+ years now, I very much appreciate the value of automatic closing port, but the OCD in me is triggered by the fact that this options messes with the intended aerodynamics of the car. It seems to be the designers put the vent in there for a reason (to re-integrate turbulent air from the wheel well), shaped the door in a specific way to allow for that, and the powered port seems like a compromise of that. I realize the range hit is only 1%, but still on the fence about this feature.

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
Hmm... Does this differ by country, or model year perhaps?
That I don't know ... all I can say is only my US 2021 Taycan RWD with manual port I get a 'red' message on the screen that a port door is left open

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
And just to confirm, you have the manual, not the powered/motorized power port, correct?

I'm asking this because I'm trying to decide whether or not I want the powered port for my build. Having been driving EV's for 8+ years now, I very much appreciate the value of automatic closing port, but the OCD in me is triggered by the fact that this options messes with the intended aerodynamics of the car. It seems to be the designers put the vent in there for a reason (to re-integrate turbulent air from the wheel well), shaped the door in a specific way to allow for that, and the powered port seems like a compromise of that. I realize the range hit is only 1%, but still on the fence about this feature.
FWIW, those open channels to depressurize the air in the wheel well give you a by product of all of the road debris and junk being launched down the side of your car. Driving in even moderately wet conditions make the car look like its gone on a 200 mile road trip. Plus if you are from the Tesla world where they automatically closed the port when you finished, you will undoubtedly forget to close them regularly.

Its enough of an issue that Suncoast sells the kit to close it off as a retrofit option.

I have the non-powered kind and wish that the car was optioned with the power door. The grass is always greener I suppose.

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
FWIW, those open channels to depressurize the air in the wheel well give you a by product of all of the road debris and junk being launched down the side of your car. Driving in even moderately wet conditions make the car look like its gone on a 200 mile road trip. Plus if you are from the Tesla world where they automatically closed the port when you finished, you will undoubtedly forget to close them regularly.

Its enough of an issue that Suncoast sells the kit to close it off as a retrofit option.

I have the non-powered kind and wish that the car was optioned with the power door. The grass is always greener I suppose.
Thanks. That is useful information. Yes I am from the Tesla world, but have been in that world long enough to remember non-powered charge ports (my first Model S), so I know I will forget, hence my ask whether or not the car will at least warn me. Given I live in the NorthWest, which is moderately wet most of the year, I think I will keep the powered charge port and stop thinking about the missing vent. If I still lived in your neck of the woods (many years ago I lived Pleasanton and then Dublin, so not far from you), I might still consider unpowered port.
Sponsored