Powered Charge Port Cover - YES or No?

DavidInEngland

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Green Taycan, Miami Blue Boxster 718, Mercedes-Benz A Class, Mini Cooper S
Country flag
Didn't want them, didn't like the look of them(prefer the flush fit ones), didn't order them - have used a loan Taycan which had them, don't regret not ordering them on mine at all. I don't think the car needs anything more to make it look cool and it wasn't the money.
Sponsored

Last edited:

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
I have the power doors and have had zero problems with them in 7 months and over 7000 miles of driving. I really like the look with the little fins and the cool factor of opening them and closing them with a swipe. Highly recommend them.

tuptaycan4S

First Name
Lowell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would definitely option it. Nobody seems to point this out, but having the electric charge port means that the wheel arch venting is blocked out. Some will argue that from an aerodynamic point of view this is not desirable....but what’s LESS desirable is that those vents mean the sides of your car get dirtier faster. I have the manual doors with arch vents and I would trade in a heartbeat.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
the only problem that I can foresee with freezes and the doors is if the car was to be caked in ice, then the doors could possibly malfunction. I had the door handles on a model S get frozen and the handle wouldn't present itself.
The electric charge port doors have an ice breaking feature that was heavily reported during the 2019 press launch campaign in severe winter conditions.
"The connections are protected from the weather by electric charge port doors. A small ice-breaker ensures that they still work in heavy frost. This breaks up ice crusts, clearing the way for the port door."
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/taycan/charging-18558.html

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Total lack of real world thinking (again) is my point.
The "total lack of real world thinking" has been by the charging station manufacturers and operators installing them.

Porsche Taycan Powered Charge Port Cover - YES or No? 1621903228647

These cable are super thick and heavy. How on earth can a petite lady...

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
The electric charge port doors have an ice breaking feature that was heavily reported during the 2019 press launch campaign in severe winter conditions.
"The connections are protected from the weather by electric charge port doors. A small ice-breaker ensures that they still work in heavy frost. This breaks up ice crusts, clearing the way for the port door."
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/taycan/charging-18558.html
thanks, I was unaware of that report, good to see that they foresaw that issue

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I would definitely option it. Nobody seems to point this out, but having the electric charge port means that the wheel arch venting is blocked out. Some will argue that from an aerodynamic point of view this is not desirable....but what’s LESS desirable is that those vents mean the sides of your car get dirtier faster. I have the manual doors with arch vents and I would trade in a heartbeat.
Yes, I pointed out the 'cleaner doors' feature of the automatic ports in an earlier post. Definitely worth a few miles range, which you will never use anyways.

From a different perspective, I just can't understand the attitude of people who don't order something because they are afraid it will 'break'. I mean seriously, given the thousands of items on this car that can 'break', does anyone really believe the car is less reliable with an electric port?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I mean seriously, given the thousands of items on this car that can 'break', does anyone really believe the car is less reliable with an electric port?
Yes. I do. Can’t break what I don’t have.

I also removed my front windshield to avoid getting cracks from rocks on the highway. ?‍♂

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
No for me. The car was designed to have functional air extraction vents behind the front wheel openings and the power charging flaps cause them to be blocked which offends me greatly. ;) That, and the $640 for a feature that should have been designed not to interfere with another feature and been no cost standard in the first place. They are kind of cool (though not as well executed, IMHO, as the power flaps on our e-Tron) but the manual flaps work just fine. No regrets.
This is the reason I did not ordered it.
Make no sensé to stop the air flow.

Olicanian

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, SL.
Country flag
It’s a cool feature when they work. Mine have frozen open/shut at least half a dozen times In 18 months.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I really like my electric doors. I also like it that it is completely out of the way while charging. I know it is not the end of the world, but it seems that the doors could have used suicide orientation so that they are not in the way of the cables coming from the front of the car (which I imagine is the most common), although I assume they are this way so that wind will close them rather than break them.

In any event, they look cool, they move out of the way, and I cannot imagine how they would have any problem with ice given their design.

wallace

First Name
Wallace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Country flag
I have it, no issues and my kids think it's cool. Of course, it's not necessary and supposedly there is a range impact, but I have no way of noticing that one way or the other.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I have it, no issues and my kids think it's cool. Of course, it's not necessary and supposedly there is a range impact, but I have no way of noticing that one way or the other.
cd goes from .20 w/o power door - to .22 w/power door.

Rob28

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Lexus NX350 (Wife's)
Country flag
100% get these - i love them and never any issues.
Sponsored