Michelin Pilot Sport EV tires: Good or hot garbage?

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
I'm coming to the end of year 2 and 17K miles on my 2021 Cross Turismo 4S, currently equipped with 20" Pirelli Cinturato P7 All seasons. I plan to replace them with 20" OEM size appropriate summer performance EV rated tires early next year.
245/45ZR20
285/40ZR20

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tires/michelin-pilot-sport-ev

I was originally planning to shop for a set of Michelin Pilot EV tires since my prior experience with their 4S tires on my previous sports cars have been excellent. But doing some more reading on the PS4 EV tires have been trouble, with many complaining of somewhat poor grip, noise and worse, the noise dampening foam coming loose in the tires of many customers cars and causing awful vibration issues.

"Do not buy unless you like to have a shudder at hwy speeds. The foam came loose inside. Causes the tire to be unbalanced. Had them rebalanced several times before discovering the problem WITH THE PRODUCT!"

Just wanted to get the opinion and experience of owners here equipped with those same PS4 EV tires. I originally wanted to get a size appropriate set of PS4s, but unfortunately it looks like I cannot find matching sizes for all 4 corners:

As an attractive alternative, I did read about the Hankook Ion EV performance tires and may look into those as well:
https://www.hankooktire.com/us/en/tire/ion/evo-as.html
Sponsored

Last edited:

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
I've got a set of these that I've been using this season and have had no issues.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I've got a set of these that I've been using this season and have had no issues.
Curious as to what you had before and how these compare re road noise and general handling (better still if you have used Mich. PS4S tires before and how they compare to those - a proper benchmark for me!)?

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
Curious as to what you had before and how these compare re road noise and general handling (better still if you have used Mich. PS4S tires before and how they compare to those - a proper benchmark for me!)?
I've had P4Ss on a different car, so it's quite hard to compare. The previous tires on this car were the semi-hot-garbage all-seasons it came with (which I only used as summer tires, since all-season means "no season").

They're quite quiet and I've been pleased with the way they handle, but I haven't tracked them...

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I has Michelin PS4 on my 4S and really liked them. Good grip and even wear. I only had the car for 10 months, but no issues.

I now have a Turbo with the Pirelli Cinturato. They are quieter but I feel they have less grip. Quite a lot less - but with a more powerful car I suppose some of it could be that. However I recently checked the tread on them and they have worn disproportionately in the centre. No, they have never been over inflated before anyone asks. If anything maybe a bit under inflated.

So I may be needing some new tyres before too much longer and was planning going back to Michelin. I will accept a bit more road noise for better grip and more even wear. I hope not to have any problems with foam coming loose inside. Unless of course anyone comes up with anything better!

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag
I was wondering which tyres give the best range actually? I had to get a pair of Hankooks fitted at the back when I got a massive puncture on a French motorway one Friday afternoon in July. It was that or wait all weekend for Porsche Lyon to open. Anyway I sense the consumption isn't great since with a mix of Pirelli Cinturato and Hankooks. Even before this enforced change I had been considering a change when I put the Summers back on next April as I have this nagging sense the Pirellis aren't that efficient.

I don't do enough spirited driving for grip to matter enormously, It's mainly full family and dog in the boot on the motorway so the tyre that is quietest and maximises range will be top of my list. I was eyeing up these Michelins already as they sounded ideal but would love to know people's experiences on various tyres and if there really is any discernible bump in range or so negligible it's not worth it.

I would consider 5% or above worth it, the car is already so ridiculously quiet a decibel here or there will hardly matter and won't be worse than the Pirelli Winters I'd imagine.

All information appreciated.

cityhpper

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4. 20" summers, 20" winters.
Country flag
Replacing my PS4's in May/June next year. They have performed well, but noise has increased a fair bit as they reach EOL.

Hankook iON evo are a prime candidate for me. Seems they do well in several key disiplines.

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ended up getting a set of Pilot Sport 4 tires fitted and mounted today. Will share impressions as I drive more:

Porsche Taycan Michelin Pilot Sport EV tires: Good or hot garbage? PSX_20231018_140900
Porsche Taycan Michelin Pilot Sport EV tires: Good or hot garbage? IMG_20231018_105444

Last edited:

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I personally find the "EV Tire" thing to be a money grab. They are just a worse version of the normal tire.

Get normal Pilot Sport 4s, don't overthink it. The regular Sport 4s are money, don't mess with it.

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I personally find the "EV Tire" thing to be a money grab. They are just a worse version of the normal tire.

Get normal Pilot Sport 4s, don't overthink it. The regular Sport 4s are money, don't mess with it.
Yeah they were an intriguing tire option when Michelin first announced them, but the user reviews so far have not been encouraging.

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update after a few hundred miles on the Pilot Sport 4 tires:

Very happy with the new rubber, they are in fact more quiet than my Pirelli A/S tires and there is zero change in range efficiency. Still need to drive them hard to appreciate the improved grip and dry traction. 👍🏻
Sponsored