Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
My understanding is the NF# tyres for Taycan have a re-enforced sidewall to handle the additional weight of the EV.
As much as I'd like to buy a fitting set of Pilot Sport 4S tires for my Taycan, I am concerned how those tire sidewalls, especially lower profile versions, will hold up to the cornering loads on vehicles much heavier than the cars those tires were originally designed for.

If I'm going to buy high performance summer tires, I want them to be able to hold up safely in repeated hard cornering driving otherwise I don't see the point in upgrading personally.

For me I'll probably stick to Porsche OEM selections for summer performance tires until more 3rd party EV tire options are available, and they will be for sure.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
As much as I'd like to buy a fitting set of Pilot Sport 4S tires for my Taycan, I am concerned how those tire sidewalls, especially lower profile versions, will hold up to the cornering loads on vehicles much heavier than the cars those tires were originally designed for.
I get the concern, and it's one I had also.

Checking TireRack...

The load range on the PS4S is XL (1819 lbs per front tire, 1984 per rear tire).
The load range on the Contis that were stock for me is the same.

Now, that's load range - you might have a point about sidewall rigidity.

Maybe someone who knows tires better than me can chime in if I've made a huge mistake or not.

I will say, the Contis are downright unsafe in the wet while the PS4S handled rain like a champ.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I think – conservative me – would just stick with the PS4 (NF0) than reach for the PS4S in this case. Is there a massive difference/improvement in the "S" version of the PS4?

As I'll be in the 21" version (Turbo S) soon – I just wish the plain normal PS4 (NF0) was available in those sizes. I'll miss Michelin.

bihus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think – conservative me – would just stick with the PS4 (NF0) than reach for the PS4S in this case. Is there a massive difference/improvement in the "S" version of the PS4?

As I'll be in the 21" version (Turbo S) soon – I just wish the plain normal PS4 (NF0) was available in those sizes. I'll miss Michelin.
The available PS4S are not for the Taycan. You can see the rear ones are NA0 (911) and the front ones T0 (Tesla). They might have different belts and rubber, for different requisites (rolling resistance, weight distribution, ...), so they might work well or not.
On the Macan, the PS4 SUV work well enough for me. The PS4 worked very well on a BMW 330, where the Eagle F1s made the car unstable.
The OP seems to like them, so you already have a starting point.
I have PS4 on the T4S, E39 M5 and PS4S on an Audi A7 and they all work very well. The difference between them isn't something that should bother you.

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
@DerekS - How have the Pilot Sport 4S tires been working for you ?

I'm ordering a set of 21" wheels from Terrance at Signature Wheels and I'm not the biggest fan of the NFO tire choices. Spoke to a parts person at the local Porsche dealership and was told "off the record" the PS4S would be fine. Of course, this info was from a Michelin rep during Monterey car week, so all bets are off...

Anyway - would you be willing to give any updates ?

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
@DerekS - How have the Pilot Sport 4S tires been working for you ?

I'm ordering a set of 21" wheels from Terrance at Signature Wheels and I'm not the biggest fan of the NFO tire choices. Spoke to a parts person at the local Porsche dealership and was told "off the record" the PS4S would be fine. Of course, this info was from a Michelin rep during Monterey car week, so all bets are off...

Anyway - would you be willing to give any updates ?
Of course!

I've got over 10K on them right now. I was looking at replacing them before Palooza but it looks like I still have 8/32 of tread depth (I bought a gauge to be sure.)

I continue to be very happy with them and will replace with the same when the time comes.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Also: the traction in the wet and hydroplaning resistance is much MUCH better than the Continentals they replaced.

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
Taycan weighs as much as a cayenne. So if tires on that can handle SUV weight what is the diff with EV? Weight distribution is better. We have the tech to handle the weight on other products., but the weight is not that extreme as people think.

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
I continue to be very happy with them and will replace with the same when the time comes.
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us an updated review !! My new wheels should arrive in 6 weeks-ish and I'm leaning toward the PS4S.

bergs

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan RWD, '20 Cayenne, '18 Model 3
Country flag
i just put on the PS4S on the 21" wheels, replacing the Pirelli P Zeros. The life on the pirelli's was not great, i only got 8k miles on them, wore out both front and rear about even despite being a RWD taycan.

question for those who have switched to the michelin PS4S on 21" rims (Tesla T0 or T2 spec front, Mercedes M01 spec rear). what pressures have you been running? 32F/36R just like the manual says? I'm getting a fair amount of high frequency droning on smooth asphalt at highway speeds. i pumped them up to 40F/42R tonight and will see if it makes a difference tomorrow.

I did a fair amount of research on the available tires, T0 is a previous gen model S tire when they had square fitment. the T2 is the spec for model S plaid, so same front tires. Havent figured out where the mercedes 305 section is from yet...

OP, i found it amusing you found a big difference between the conti's and PS4S. the conti's are an all-season tire, so of course there is a huge difference. My sales guy thinks im crazy for insisting on summer tires on my builds.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
OP, i found it amusing you found a big difference between the conti's and PS4S. the conti's are an all-season tire, so of course there is a huge difference. My sales guy thinks im crazy for insisting on summer tires on my builds.
I live in a warm climate. The Contis were straight up dangerous when wet. Hydroplaned on the highway my first heavy rain.

YMMV in ice/snow, that's not a use case for me.

bergs

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan RWD, '20 Cayenne, '18 Model 3
Country flag
i dont doubt it. its a common misconception is that all-season tires are better in the rain. i cant find the link, but the PS4S has better stopping distances both dry and wet than an all season stock tire.

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
The PS4S is a marvelous tire, but they need to get them NFO certified before I put them on.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
On their website, Michelin Pilot Sport EV is the recommended tyre for the Taycan - has anyone tried this?