Mobile Charger Advice

jplouis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4, 2022 Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
Just purchased a 2021 CT4 and it did not have the Porsche mobile charger. I'm fine with that based on the price of the car. Any recommendations for a mobile charger to keep in the car? I have a hardwired L2 charger at home already.

I was thinking of buying the Porsche Charger but it is rather expensive and not a lot of good reviews. Though I wouldn't be against a Porsche Charger at the right price.
Sponsored

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
Just purchased a 2021 CT4 and it did not have the Porsche mobile charger. I'm fine with that based on the price of the car. Any recommendations for a mobile charger to keep in the car? I have a hardwired L2 charger at home already.

I was thinking of buying the Porsche Charger but it is rather expensive and not a lot of good reviews. Though I wouldn't be against a Porsche Charger at the right price.
Don't own this, but I've heard a couple of good things about it and you can get multiple plug ends for it to give you extra options as you travel.

Amazon.com: MUSTART TRAVELMASTER Level 2 Portable EV Charger, 25ft Cable, Intelligent Plug Identification Auto-Adjusts Maximum Safe Current 15A/25A/32A Electric Vehicle Plug-in Charging Station (2-Gen) : Automotive

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Mustart mobile EVSE's _OR_ Tesla Mobile EVSE w/Tesla tap - there are others - these two are the best price/performance combination - but clearly not the only choices...

given the rise of public charging - mobile chargers are less and less necessary - may not need one.

certainly do not purchase any of the Porsche one's - cost benefit is very very low.

Payton48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I did not want to use the Porsche charger that came with the car after reading the forums. I also didn't want to buy a charger off Amazon, so decided to buy a new OEM charger from ebay. I ended up buying a Lucid charger which has worked great but also considered the Rivian, Chevy, and Polestar OEM chargers. All these models have a removable pigtail that allows you to change out the plug for different outlet types. If you're patient, you typically can find these in new condition around the $250 - $300 range currently.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S

Payton48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Probably same charger as the Ford I have. The plug on your eBay one even says FoMoCo.
It looks like they messed up and got some Ford charger pics mixed in. I'm not sure what this seller does but they have a bunch of Ford, Rivian, and Lucid chargers. It was a toss-up but one reason why I chose the Lucid was because it was a 40A charger. Most of the others are 30A. You can see in the pics that they have a few shots of the pigtail receptacle and there are two obvious different types.

OP
OP

jplouis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4, 2022 Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
I did not want to use the Porsche charger that came with the car after reading the forums. I also didn't want to buy a charger off Amazon, so decided to buy a new OEM charger from ebay. I ended up buying a Lucid charger which has worked great but also considered the Rivian, Chevy, and Polestar OEM chargers. All these models have a removable pigtail that allows you to change out the plug for different outlet types. If you're patient, you typically can find these in new condition around the $250 - $300 range currently.
That is a really good suggestion. I just want something in the car for piece of mind, kind of like jumper cables.
Sponsored