First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Greetings,

I am replacing my current charge due to the recall. I ordered the ChargePoint Home Flex Level 2 from Amazon. However, I see it won't work given the location of my NEMA outlet. I looked at the Wallbox Pulsar as well and it seems to have the same issue (i.e. the outlet needs to be below the charger).

Any suggestions? The current ChargePoint charger might work if I could turn it on its side and hang to left, but I would need to make the plug take a pretty sharp bend. Not sure that is prudent.

Appreciate any thoughts!

Porsche Taycan Need Charger Suggestion for high outlet please 20240318_083254
Sponsored

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Do you have the chargepoint in hand? The 14-50 outlet doesn’t need to be below, but it does need to be close enough for the home flex to plug in without stressing the cable. Maybe it will reach if the box is just to the left? You might have to flip the 14-50 outlet 180. Otherwise if it were me, I would move the outlet down and to the right with a couple of conduit bends in a way that doesn’t need a longer wire run. If it isn’t a Hubble or other industrial outlet I’d swap it out as well. There might be other boxes that have longer pigtails. I don’t like the sideways idea, but that would work I guess. Finally. The home flex can be hardwired, and that might solve all this. But those options require an electrician if you are not comfortable with DIY.

Last edited:

BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag
In Canada i got temporary replacement charger from Porsche Canada. But yes needed to get contractor to install it again. My suggestion is to use current charger and just monitor while charging. Unless u get charger from Porsche.

Randylip

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 taycan
Country flag
Greetings,

I am replacing my current charge due to the recall. I ordered the ChargePoint Home Flex Level 2 from Amazon. However, I see it won't work given the location of my NEMA outlet. I looked at the Wallbox Pulsar as well and it seems to have the same issue (i.e. the outlet needs to be below the charger).

Any suggestions? The current ChargePoint charger might work if I could turn it on its side and hang to left, but I would need to make the plug take a pretty sharp bend. Not sure that is prudent.

Appreciate any thoughts!

20240318_083254.jpg
I had a similar problem, I bought the Juice Box works great, mine is inside my garage.

OP
OP
DACSarasota

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I had a similar problem, I bought the Juice Box works great, mine is inside my garage.
Thanks Randy. Is this the JuiceBox 32?

Are you saying the plug was long enough to let you mount to the side? Can you take a pic please?

Also, does having a 32 vs 40 Amp make much difference?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Thanks Randy. Is this the JuiceBox 32?

Are you saying the plug was long enough to let you mount to the side? Can you take a pic please?

Also, does having a 32 vs 40 Amp make much difference?
32 amps vs. 40 amps is 8 amps difference

8 / 32 = 25%

charging sessions with a full 40 amp EVSE will be 25% faster than with a 32 amp EVSE

a daily charging session that takes 100 minutes with 40 amps (just over an hour and a half) will take 2+ hours on a 32 amp EVSE…

most of the time this doesn't matter since the vehicle charges overnight while you are sleeping - as long as the vehicle is ready by 7 am - it makes no difference if it starts charging at 5 am vs. 6 am…

a _FULL_ charge from 5% or less to 100% is approximately 88 kWh worth of power from the grid…

40 amp is 9.6 kW
88 kWh / 9.6 = 9.1 hours

32 amps is 7.68 kW
88 kWh / 7.68 kW = 11.4583 hours…11.5 hours.

most of the time the difference between 32 amps and 40 amps won't matter - but it is 20% slower to use a 32 amp EVSE (or 25% faster to use a 40 amp EVSE vs. 32 amp EVSE).

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I would check out this relatively new charger. Very high ratings and it is very simple to install. Has a much longer outlet cord than most.

Porsche Taycan Need Charger Suggestion for high outlet please IMG_5515.PNG

ender21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Greetings,

Appreciate any thoughts!
Yeah it looks like your issues are twofold. First, the high outlet, second, it would be to the right of the charger, not the left, making your run to the outlet that much more challenging.

First I'd recommend trying to rotate the 14-50 outlet by 90 degrees so that the charger's plug would "naturally" fit that angle, and if that didn't work maybe try hardwiring. I just updated my ChargePoint's power to hardwire so I could make better use of my 60A breaker. Hardwiring was time consuming but not really difficult as long as you're being careful.

OP
OP
DACSarasota

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
So the EVIQO charger does not communicate with the Taycan well. Every time I plug in for a timed charge, I get an error. I am returning.

Any other recommendations?
Sponsored