New car cannot charge CCS

Bg259

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 488 Spider, RR Autobiography
Country flag
Hi All
Tried to charge my Taycan for the first time yesterday. Went to a 22kwh public charger. Opened the boot, looked inside the bag and found some adapters and a 3 pin cable without the charging adapter!!!

so I then thought I would try out the 150kw chargers down the road. Plugged in, no lights on the left charge port at all. The car sais “charging not possible” on the lower screen which shows the battery. Tried several times. No light at all on the LED indicator.

then went home took my ID3 cable out, plugged in into my 7kwh wall box on the right hand side. That works fine.

is there anything I need to do to make the CcS rapid charge port work ??
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
did you try both sides for the CCS fast charger? I’m in US so I’m not sure which side is the fast charger side in UK…apologies if my question seems off.

OP
OP

Bg259

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 488 Spider, RR Autobiography
Country flag
The CCS charger can only be used on the left side. It has the (double size) connector. No lights at all on the charging port. The LED white light to illuminate the port did work for a short while.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
CCS fast charge is always on the passenger side of the car – regardless of what market.

jontybutts

First Name
Jonty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Eletre R, Taycan
Country flag
Not all CCS chargers work flawlessly, try again or try another charger.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Not all CCS chargers work flawlessly, try again or try another charger.
Yep, think my current MY19 iPace is likely a bit more fussy still than the Taycan but sadly there is still a lot of variation by both charger manufacturer and also provider (possibly different firmware levels). Then of course the charger being used could be having a bad day/need repair.

For the OP then if you want to try CCS then I find Instavolt and Ionity bulletproof on my iPace and hear the same from other car owners.

1) Ionity - When not out of order (sadly too often but normally many per site), these work every time for me and should be the optimal for Porsche
2) Instavolt - Have been the most dependable I’ve used though given most are only 50kW I tend to use them when planning a longer stop only.
3) MFG Swarco 150kW - These can be problamatic for me in that the cables are ridiculously short (you need to get right up to them and over the blocks I find and my iPace charge port is in a similar position) and then make sure you support the weight of the cable till charging starts. I can always get them to work in the end though.
4) Osprey 50kW Raptions at Marstons - My iPace has the hump with these, some iPaces don‘t so invariably takes me 2 or 3 goes but always works in the end. Their new Kempower sites should be great.
5) Gridserve - Only tried the latest ones at Rugby but they are the current gold standard for me as its been designed from the outset as a large EV charging area.
6) BP Pulse - Taken on the mantle from the old Ecotricity as the chargers to avoid as likely to be broken. That being said, I’m normally driving north of London so never come across one of their 150kW+ units.
7) Shell Recharge - Not much experience tbh, tried one 150kW near Lincoln which failed but given the torrential rain wasn‘t minded to keep trying. 50kW have worked fine for me.
8) PodPoint 50kW. Always worked for me at supermarkets, have to use one on a Lincolnshire trip.
9) Chargeplace Scotland. Old evolts never work for me so I avoid. Their 50kW Raptions either do or don’t so I can’t rely on them to be honest. Lots of AC points though so handy, make sure you get the CPS RFID card if in Scotland a lot. I’d added the 22kW option to my Taycan build for continental travel but recent issues with the CPS 50kW in Scotland on a trip into the highlands has cemented my keeping it in the configuration as a decent amount of 22kW in remoter areas.

There are others, but if you are new to EVs then if you stick to Instavolt and Ionity initially (make sure you are signed up for the Porsche card on Ionity though!) you’ll get some confidence.

Cheers

Alex

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi All
Tried to charge my Taycan for the first time yesterday. Went to a 22kwh public charger. Opened the boot, looked inside the bag and found some adapters and a 3 pin cable without the charging adapter!!!

so I then thought I would try out the 150kw chargers down the road. Plugged in, no lights on the left charge port at all. The car sais “charging not possible” on the lower screen which shows the battery. Tried several times. No light at all on the LED indicator.

then went home took my ID3 cable out, plugged in into my 7kwh wall box on the right hand side. That works fine.

22kW is AC only.

Use a tethered charging point (EVSE) but did you specify the public cable for untethered use when you ordered? I can't remember if standard or not.

There is nothing to activate / enable but if you have tried AC on both sides of the car and it works then these ports are fine.

Public DC / AC chargers can sometimes be out of service which may have been an issue too.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
22kW is AC only.

Use a tethered charging point (EVSE) but did you specify the public cable for untethered use when you ordered? I can't remember if standard or not.

There is nothing to activate / enable but if you have tried AC on both sides of the car and it works then these ports are fine.

Public DC / AC chargers can sometimes be out of service which may have been an issue too.
I took delivery in August and am pretty sure I had to spec 'public charging cable' as a costed option.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I took delivery in August and am pretty sure I had to spec 'public charging cable' as a costed option.
Yep, sadly I think I did too. The dealer ought to have checked this at time of locking the build to ensure it wasn't overlooked.

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Yep, sadly I think I did too. The dealer ought to have checked this at time of locking the build to ensure it wasn't overlooked.
Although they are significantly cheaper bought from elsewhere

NeilJ

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT (Taycan 4S - sold), VW ID3
Country flag
Hi All

It is worth checking that the Plug and Charge option isn’t activated (it can be found in the Charging menu on the PCM). Mine wouldn’t charge using CCS chargers when I first tried, but once I deactivated that it worked fine.
Sponsored