New Charger-related recall (for the 240 V cable) (NHTSA ID 23V-841)

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
Just got a recall notice from Porsche that my Porsche charger's 240 V cable will be replaced (someday)..in the meantime I can buy another charger and be re-imbursed up to $600. Interestingly, even tho the recall is tied to my car's VIN, that VIN does NOT show (yet?) as a recall on NHTSA site (perhaps because the car itself is not recalled?).

Anyway, I think I'll buy a charger (portable)(NEMA 14-50) .leaning towards a TESLA charger. Anyone have a recommendation?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I would prefer a refund on my PMCC tbh. I went through the same, my dealer gave me a shitty replacement.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

refazi

First Name
Refael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD, 2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just got a recall notice from Porsche that my Porsche charger's 240 V cable will be replaced (someday)..in the meantime I can buy another charger and be re-imbursed up to $600. Interestingly, even tho the recall is tied to my car's VIN, that VIN does NOT show (yet?) as a recall on NHTSA site (perhaps because the car itself is not recalled?).

Anyway, I think I'll buy a charger (portable)(NEMA 14-50) .leaning towards a TESLA charger. Anyone have a recommendation?
If you are tech savvy, i have this one and it's nice - https://store.ui.com/us/en/pro/category/all-new-integrations/products/uc-ev-station

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

get the Tesla Universal unit it's hard to go wrong with it…

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/tesla-universal-wall-charger.17547/
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-tesla-j-1772-universal-charger-review.13163/
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...thing-happens-at-all.18646/page-2#post-290361
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...rs-evse-powersharing-setup.18889/#post-290467

OP
OP
RBGtaycan

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the recommendation.

I looked at that

(https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-Universal-Wall-Connector-Compatible/dp/B0CNJH667W/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2X6E3OJQA33PE&keywords=tesla+universal+wall+charger&qid=1707778388&sprefix=tesla+universal,aps,130&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.ac2169a1-b668-44b9-8bd0-5ec63b24bcb5)

and as best as I can see it it looks like I also have to get a separate adapter for plugging it into a NEMA 14-50 outlet? ..but that is not clear in the description.
wall chargers are hardwired only - if you want something that can plug in I recommend a Wallbox, ChargePoint, Enphase/ClipperCreek EVSE - they have models that are plug based but still non-mobile wall chargers…

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the recommendation.

I looked at that

(https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-Universal-Wall-Connector-Compatible/dp/B0CNJH667W/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2X6E3OJQA33PE&keywords=tesla+universal+wall+charger&qid=1707778388&sprefix=tesla+universal,aps,130&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.ac2169a1-b668-44b9-8bd0-5ec63b24bcb5)

and as best as I can see it it looks like I also have to get a separate adapter for plugging it into a NEMA 14-50 outlet? ..but that is not clear in the description.
although something like this is all you need for a hardwired EVSE to be a plug-based EVSE…get at least 10 ft or better - but consult an electrician if you have a nema socket convertiing it to a hardwired junction box is easy/affordable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084D28DTD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

don't take electrical advise from someone on the internet - I might not even be real.

if you're plugging the Tesla Wall charger into a NEMA 14-50 outlet make sure to configure it via it's configuration page to 50/40 amps - it defaults to 48 amps which is a 60 amp hardwired circuit - NEMA 14-50 outlets are 50 amps _ONLY_ and therefore a 40 amp charge rate.

Last edited:

agurkas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 CT4S, Volvo XC90, BMW X3
Country flag
If you are getting a new charger and you are in the US, see what your local utility will sell you at a discounted price or what rebate you can get. You may end up with something nice at a minimal cost after Porsche rebates you, and so does utility. Some utilities will give you additional rebate if you let them connect to it and change charge schedule if peak loads are bad.

DuffNation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is anyone looking into their state’s Lemon Laws or getting attorneys involved to facilitate this issue? I mentioned the overheating to my local Porsche SA months ago and got the response, “nothing wrong on our end and no recall”

refazi

First Name
Refael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD, 2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I called the dealer to check the ETA for the ETA for part that replaces the older cable, i got an answer that it's expected at June... for a recall that was identified 4 years ago and a remedy that didn't work... very disappointing.

here is the full story from the recall doc:
Chronology :
In Dec. 2020 Porsche became aware of reports that the charging cables for certain Taycan vehicles would become hot during vehicle charging. Porsche investigated this issue and determined that the charging cable worked properly when new, but when used in connection with certain non-recommended lower quality electrical outlets, the cable could become damaged.
In May 2022, Porsche notified owners and implemented a service campaign (WMP2) with a software modification to reduce the default charging capacity of the cables by 50% to address this issue. Further information, recommendations, and cautions were provided regarding the appropriate electrical sockets to use. Part 573 Safety Recall Report 23V-841 Page 10 The information contained in this report was submitted pursuant to 49 CFR §573
In June 2023, Porsche became aware of further instances of overheating in Taycan charging cables, even with the power reduction. Porsche investigated this issue and determined that, even though the NEMA plug in the charging cable meets UL household use criteria, if it is used with a lower quality electrical receptacle, it can become permanently damaged, such that even when used with a recommended outlet, there could be elevated electrical resistance. More specifically, the connector crimps in the cable could be damaged due to overheating, leading to further increased electrical resistance and elevated temperatures. Porsche further determined that a new plug with an incorporated temperature sensor would eliminate this issue.
In late 2023, upon further review of the issue and the latest field data, Porsche identified 110 incidents of mobile charger malfunctions attributable to the subject issue. On December 6, Porsche determined that it would supersede the WMP2 Service Campaign and conduct a safety recall to replace the subject mobile chargers. Description of Remedy :
Description of Remedy Program : Porsche will replace the existing NEMA charging cable with a new charging cable with an incorporated temperature sensor. The owner’s letter will advise that Porsche offers a reimbursement for prenotification remedies in accordance with 49 CFR 573.13. How Remedy Component Differs from Recalled Component : The remedy component includes a temperature sensor to detect potential overheating due to excess electrical resistance. Identify How/When Recall Condition was Corrected in Production : The charging plug with sensors was incorporated into production in Calendar Week 48 of 2023.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
This is my current setup which I already reduced to 50% power per the most recent advisory. I am pretty handy with a hammer, drill etc but I am an idiot when it comes to electricity (the NEMA outlet was installed by an electrician who also upgraded our panel). So while I could easily install the Tesla charger in place of what is here, do I need an electrician to do some calibration or can I do that myself? @daveo4EV ?

Porsche Taycan New Charger-related recall (for the 240 V cable) (NHTSA ID 23V-841) IMG_2173
Sponsored