PSA for NA owners: do not bring your PMCC to dealer

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Brought my car in today for routine service. Not surprised to hear there is a recall on the PMCC which was posted on here a few weeks ago. However, what surpised me was how this recall is being done. Porsche basically CONFISCATED my PMCC, citing the cables are overheating leading to damage.

I was then provided with this as an alternative.

A bit shocked at how this is being carried out by Porsche... what a joke. Service advisor was of course apologetic but at this stage he says he knows no further information on either replacement or refund.

Porsche Taycan PSA for NA owners: do not bring your PMCC to dealer PXL_20240201_015903452
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
sorry to hear this happend to you -but it finally answers the BS question as to if you'll void your warranty by using a non-Porsche EVSE which some dealers were telling customers…

Porsche's EVSE game is super weak and really really clueless.

Tomato

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
At least the Grizzl-E EVSE won't overheat the outlet so it is functionally better than PMCC. But they basically gave you a $350 EVSE for your $1200 EVSE. Wouldn't it be better and cheaper to just offer a thicker replacement supply cable? I don't really care but some people prefer OEM product over aftermarket even if it's not any better.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
At least the replacement EVSE is made in Canada..

But this beggars belief - did they rifle through your car’s compartments looking expressly for the charger? Must make sure I’m leaving mine at home if I ever drive by the dealer..

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Why the fuss?

They supplied an allegedly faulty part (subject of a recall) that could cause major issues if the fault is correct in your jurisdiction, and so replaced it immediately with a part that works.

They did this with no fuss or bother.

We get moaning on here when Porsche don't fix stuff, and now moaning when they do 😁

The cost price of the PMCC will be nowhere near what they list them at. But if you have a beef on the $s, take that up now they've given you a safe part if you feel the need.

How would you have preferred they deal with it? Send Claudia Schiffer round, naked, in a Lambo to collect it from your choice of Caribbean island at their cost? 🙂

Had they left your PMCC in the car, you used it that evening and it burnt your house down, would you have been happier?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Lucky you @Jayyvr890 ,

When the same happened to me, service was just just going to confiscate the 240V cables (2 Porsche EVSEs) and give me nothing in return. At first they thought I could get credit for replacement EVSE (they showed me a list, most 32A, but 2 40A, Grizzly wasn't on it, there was a Wallbox, no Tesla), but then came back with "oh, this only applies to cars purchased in the last 30 days". So I declined, which is now part of my car's permanent record.
Porsche Taycan PSA for NA owners: do not bring your PMCC to dealer 1706787546191

Let's hope there is no recall on the Taycan accelerator pedal. 🤞

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
I am confused. My car went in this week for several recalls, the EVSE being one of them. They performed the recall on the charger and returned it. I stopped using it sometime ago due to concerns of overheating. I assume they derated it. I don't have the $1200 charger but the base dumb charger from Porsche.

enzo5000

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S CT, BMW E60 M5, BMW R1250GSA
Country flag
My dealer is offering me a $750. credit for purchase the wall charger of my choice. I'm looking at Autel devices as a replacement.
Porsche Taycan PSA for NA owners: do not bring your PMCC to dealer autel_charger

mrdrummergoalie

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So my PMCC overheating fried my on-board charger on two occasions, requiring my car to be towed to the dealership twice. It was at the dealership for more than three months for these two issues. I told my dealer that I wanted either a refund for my PMCC or a total replacement. They ended up replacing the charging cable, and throttling the PMCC from 40A output to 20A. I told them charging at 20A is unacceptable to me as it adds too much charging time and is not as advertised. It would be like filling up with gas, but only being able to pull the gas pump trigger halfway. So dumb.
Long story short, I don't trust the PMCC and would be very happy with a Grizzl-E, which I installed at work. My PMCC is at home. Unused. Not trusted.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Why the fuss?

They supplied an allegedly faulty part (subject of a recall) that could cause major issues if the fault is correct in your jurisdiction, and so replaced it immediately with a part that works.

They did this with no fuss or bother.

We get moaning on here when Porsche don't fix stuff, and now moaning when they do 😁

The cost price of the PMCC will be nowhere near what they list them at. But if you have a beef on the $s, take that up now they've given you a safe part if you feel the need.

How would you have preferred they deal with it? Send Claudia Schiffer round, naked, in a Lambo to collect it from your choice of Caribbean island at their cost? 🙂

Had they left your PMCC in the car, you used it that evening and it burnt your house down, would you have been happier?
Here's the problem: Presumably when I bought my precious Taycan they included a $1200 part that increased the cost of the vehicle by $1200 (well, this is Porsche, so assume their cost was $200). When that $1200 part no longer works, they should either give me $1200 back or give me a Porsche branded part that does work as the original part was supposed to. This is like buying a car with Mission Es, they recall them and give you generic 19"s. Both "work" but no thanks.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
My Taycan is in right now for misc services and I was also told to bring in the PMCC. My SA told me flat out that he is not keeping my EVSE or doing the recall until they actually start receiving the updated power cables.

Nice to see there remain NA dealerships that still allow independent thought.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
When that $1200 part no longer works, they should either give me $1200 back or give me a Porsche branded part that does work as the original part was supposed to.
You can always buy a Porsche sticker on Amazon and put it on the Grizzl-E to increase its value ;)

Seriously, though, this is unfortunate for everyone who paid extra for the Porsche charger as part of their purchase. I was lucky that it was included when I bought used.