New Charger-related recall (for the 240 V cable) (NHTSA ID 23V-841)

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2009 911S 2012 Cayenne
Country flag
Yes, living dangerously...I will keep you posted.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@daveo4EV you ain’t planning to go anywhere right?
here is an _ACTUAL_ install photo with Tesla Dock & the Amazon Oven NEMA 14-50 power cord…simple, easy peasy.

this is a Tesla Wall Charger dock + the NEMA 14-50 Oven 6/8 gauge wire cable from Amazon - note the white wire is not required/used.

Green - Ground - far left in the picture
Red - 120V "hot" - middle in the picture
Black - 120V "hot" - right in the picture
White - unused/capped off w/wire nut

once the unit is "wired" up - you can mount the Tesla Wall Charger on it - attach the 4 screws (top left & right / bottom left & right) and plug the unit in with NEMA 14-50 plug from amazon - it should power up and then you can commission it via Wifi hot spot…

Porsche Taycan New Charger-related recall (for the 240 V cable) (NHTSA ID 23V-841) IMG_2477 smaller 2

Last edited:

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
here is an _ACTUAL_ install photo with Tesla Dock & the Amazon Oven NEMA 14-50 power cord…simple, easy peasy.

this is a Tesla Wall Charger dock + the NEMA 14-50 Oven 6/8 gauge wire cable from Amazon - note the white wire is not required/used.

Green - Ground - far left in the picture
Red - 120V "hot" - middle in the picture
Black - 120V "hot" - right in the picture
White - unused/capped off w/wire nut

once the unit is "wired" up - you can mount the Tesla Wall Charger on it - attach the 4 screws (top left & right / bottom left & right) and plug the unit in with NEMA 14-50 plug from amazon - it should power up and then you can commission it via Wifi hot spot…

IMG_2477 smaller 2.jpg
I totally got this!

I am bringing the conduit through the top of that box and its diameter is much smaller than the aperture. I notice however a rubber piece inside the part that I popped off to create the opening. Does that rubber part come out for purposes of making the aperture smaller?

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I totally got this!

I am bringing the conduit through the top of that box and its diameter is much smaller than the aperture. I notice however a rubber piece inside the part that I popped off to create the opening. Does that rubber part come out for purposes of making the aperture smaller?
not sure - I normally get "normal" electrical bits in terms of clamps/crimps/stress-relief for where the wire enters the unit

the _MAIN_ goal is a "seal" to keep sparks from escaping in terms of fire control should there be a short circuit - so what ever "seals" the opening is "good" - even a "loose" rubber Gromit is sufficient…

NOTE: all bets off if you're installing "outside" - water tight is a whole different ball of wax and I'm not experienced in that space…and have no advice…

I'd focus on what ever seals the opening with the wire passing through for spark control - once you've achieved that you're done…

I'd look for some sort of electrical wire opening clamp…similar in nature to this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007I9W9RI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but NOT necessarily that unit that I've linked - but this is the sort of part you want to "seal" the opening where the wires enter the dock-cabinet

good news: this sort of thing is in stock at your local hardware store in various sizes and shapes - so a quick run to lowes/home depot/ace hardware and you're coming home with what you need - grab lunch while you're out ;-)

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
not sure - I normally get "normal" electrical bits in terms of clamps/crimps/stress-relief for where the wire enters the unit

the _MAIN_ goal is a "seal" to keep sparks from escaping in terms of fire control should there be a short circuit - so what ever "seals" the opening is "good" - even a "loose" rubber Gromit is sufficient…

NOTE: all bets off if you're installing "outside" - water tight is a whole different ball of wax and I'm not experienced in that space…and have no advice…

I'd focus on what ever seals the opening with the wire passing through for spark control - once you've achieved that you're done…

I'd look for some sort of electrical wire opening clamp…similar in nature to this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007I9W9RI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but NOT necessarily that unit that I've linked - but this is the sort of part you want to "seal" the opening where the wires enter the dock-cabinet

good news: this sort of thing is in stock at your local hardware store in various sizes and shapes - so a quick run to lowes/home depot/ace hardware and you're coming home with what you need - grab lunch while you're out ;-)
So i've got the clippers to cut the individual lines to length, but I've got waaaay too much cable even with the 5 ft product from Amazon (I bought both 5 and 10 ft just to be safe). How do you recommend I cut 1.5 feet off the entire conduit without cutting off 1.5 fingers? Are we having fun yet?

Porsche Taycan New Charger-related recall (for the 240 V cable) (NHTSA ID 23V-841) IMG_2249

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So i've got the clippers to cut the individual lines to length, but I've got waaaay too much cable even with the 5 ft product from Amazon (I bought both 5 and 10 ft just to be safe). How do you recommend I cut 1.5 feet off the entire conduit without cutting off 1.5 fingers? Are we having fun yet?

IMG_2249.jpg
length questions use your best judgement - it sucks to run out of wire so just be careful.

neo402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan RWD, BMW 435i convertible
Country flag
I got this letter in USA too. So basically I can buy any charger, and they will reimburse me upto $600 either money or service voucher.
For eg: costco has wallbox for 500. So I can get that 500 or a service credit of 500.

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
There are special water tight grommets that any electrical supply store will have in stock. Use one of those if you’re installing the unit outside. They act as both strain relief and water tightness.

As for cutting, wait to cut until everything is installed on the wall and you can lay it out exactly how long it needs to be.

OP
OP
RBGtaycan

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
Just got a recall notice from Porsche that my Porsche charger's 240 V cable will be replaced (someday)..in the meantime I can buy another charger and be re-imbursed up to $600. Interestingly, even tho the recall is tied to my car's VIN, that VIN does NOT show (yet?) as a recall on NHTSA site (perhaps because the car itself is not recalled?).

Anyway, I think I'll buy a charger (portable)(NEMA 14-50) .leaning towards a TESLA charger. Anyone have a recommendation?
I just got my check from Porsche for the Chargepoint Flex I bought. The response time was quicker than I expected. (2 weeks)

That having been said, Porsche loses points because I could not get them to respond in any way to several requests for confirmation of receipt of my request. They lost the opportunity to turn lemons into lemonade but I got the check!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
request for checked submitted with requested documentation - we'll see how this goes - eMail submission

2020 Taycan Turbo
2021 Cayenne TurboS eHybrid

Tesla Universal Wall Chargers - on order
Update: Universal chargers received - installed and fully functional - Tesla J-1772 Wall Chargers (two for sale) are now listed on eBay for sale…

no word from Porsche on "recall/rebate" submission

but my home setup is now:
  • 3 x Tesla Universal Wall Chargers
  • each unit can provide a max charge rate of 48 amps (60 amp breaker)
  • 3 units powershared and configured to share 80 amps worth of total charging capacity (100 amp breaker)
  • one unit is "plug based"
  • 2 units are hardwired
  • all units are joined to my home wifi
  • OTA updates seem to work
  • and I can get charging stats from the Tesla app
  • I am not using the optional "schedule" features of the units
  • I am not using the limit/allow charging with Solar/battery support the units allows
  • they are simply powershared "dumb" EVSE's
  • I have used both the NACS and J-1772 cords/adapters included with the units
  • Tesla has a new app called "tesla one" - https://apps.apple.com/app/id1625770308- this is an alternative app for configuring the units vs. the basic web-based configuration portal
    • still requires you to connect to the Tesla's unit's wifi hotspot
    • Tesla One app is ok, but I wouldn't call it "intuitive" and I'm not sure it's better than the bulit-in web-portal
    • unless you're technically savy I think you'll actually find the app less user friendly than the web-portal configuration - but YMMV…you've been warned.
Since installation I have charged:
  • 2020 Taycan
  • 2022 Model Y
  • 2021 Cayenne eHybrid
  • 2022 BMW X5 Hybrid
  • 2021 Audi eTron SUV
  • 2018 Bolt
  • VW ID.4
as expected the Tesla universal chargers "just" work.

for those unable/unwilling to go the Tesla Universal charger route…

ChargePoint flex continues to also be an excellent choice for price/performance/quality/features - and fits the "rebate/recall" budget pretty well - it offers several characteristics that make it an excellent choice
  • adjustable amps
    • including support for a 'true' 50 amp charge rate (70 amp breaker)
  • NEMA 14-50/6-50 or hardwired
  • J-1772 charging cable but swappable for an affordable NACS alternative vehicle charging cable
  • 20+ foot vehicle charging cable
  • runs cool
  • looks good
  • built in holster
  • wifi support w/app
  • excellent customer support and online documentation (honestly some of the best PDF's in the industry - clear/helpful/available)
  • known to functional well with Taycan's
  • optional EVSE scheduling features for off-peak and such

Last edited:

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Update: Universal chargers received - installed and fully functional - Tesla J-1772 Wall Chargers (two for sale) are now listed on eBay for sale…

no word from Porsche on "recall/rebate" submission

but my home setup is now:
  • 3 x Tesla Universal Wall Chargers
  • each unit can provide a max charge rate of 48 amps (60 amp breaker)
  • 3 units powershared and configured to share 80 amps worth of total charging capacity (100 amp breaker)
  • one unit is "plug based"
  • 2 units are hardwired
  • all units are joined to my home wifi
  • OTA updates seem to work
  • and I can get charging stats from the Tesla app
  • I am not using the optional "schedule" features of the units
  • I am not using the limit/allow charging with Solar/battery support the units allows
  • they are simply powershared "dumb" EVSE's
  • I have used both the NACS and J-1772 cords/adapters included with the units
  • Tesla has a new app called "tesla one" - https://apps.apple.com/app/id1625770308- this is an alternative app for configuring the units vs. the basic web-based configuration portal
    • still requires you to connect to the Tesla's unit's wifi hotspot
    • Tesla One app is ok, but I wouldn't call it "intuitive" and I'm not sure it's better than the bulit-in web-portal
    • unless you're technically savy I think you'll actually find the app less user friendly than the web-portal configuration - but YMMV…you've been warned.
Since installation I have charged:
  • 2020 Taycan
  • 2022 Model Y
  • 2021 Cayenne eHybrid
  • 2022 BMW X5 Hybrid
  • 2021 Audi eTron SUV
  • 2018 Bolt
  • VW ID.4
as expected the Tesla universal chargers "just" work.

for those unable/unwilling to go the Tesla Universal charger route…

ChargePoint flex continues to also be an excellent choice for price/performance/quality/features - and fits the "rebate/recall" budget pretty well - it offers several characteristics that make it an excellent choice
  • adjustable amps
    • including support for a 'true' 50 amp charge rate (70 amp breaker)
  • NEMA 14-50/6-50 or hardwired
  • J-1772 charging cable but swappable for an affordable NACS alternative vehicle charging cable
  • 20+ foot vehicle charging cable
  • runs cool
  • looks good
  • built in holster
  • wifi support w/app
  • excellent customer support and online documentation (honestly some of the best PDF's in the industry - clear/helpful/available)
  • known to functional well with Taycan's
  • optional EVSE scheduling features for off-peak and such
How much did you put your old wall chargers up for? I might be in the same boat if I upgrade to the Universal.
Sponsored