New Charger-related recall (for the 240 V cable) (NHTSA ID 23V-841)

TAKMAN

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just purchased the J+ Booster 2 and it is a very simple to use yet well made product. It’s available on Amazon for $599 or $679 with a level one and level two plug and a 25 foot cord. I have tried it both in level one and two modes and it works great. Comes with a very nice case. I’m going to leave it in the car and I will be go back to the Porsche charger for at home use once I get the new 240V plug although I really have had no problems using the one that came with my 2021 4S even at 100%. I have a brand new 50 amp service NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage and have had no overheating problems whatsoever. The J+ is much more easy to travel with than the Porsche unit. I am glad to have them both thanks to the Porsche refund offer I sent them the information and expect my check in a few weeks
Porsche Taycan New Charger-related recall (for the 240 V cable) (NHTSA ID 23V-841) IMG_0321
Sponsored

SpicewoodT

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just received my check a few minutes ago via Fedex signature required delivery.

Request was submitted on 4 March so just under 4 weeks from request to receipt of the reimbursement check.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I just received an official notice from Audi (for an eTron, not Taycan) which claims the dealers now have the replacement 240V cable (my wife's eTron came with the an EVSE which is identical to the Taycan's PMC+ but with different branding). Crossing my fingers I will still get reimbursed for the EVSE I purchased and submitted recently (went with J+, $607 with tax for NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 5-15, which will serve as a mobile EVSE). I will also call Audi dealer probably tomorrow (if I have time during business hours) to confirm they have the new cables ready to swap.

Last edited:

evporsche89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just want to confirm that someone has got a refund for charger purchased PRIOR to the notice? And for proof of purchase, all that was required was a receipt? I no longer have the box for my old ChargePoint HomeFlex I purchased in 2023. Thanks.

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
Submitted mine of Feb 29th and still no refund check yet...

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
I just purchased the J+ Booster 2 and it is a very simple to use yet well made product. It’s available on Amazon for $599 or $679 with a level one and level two plug and a 25 foot cord. I have tried it both in level one and two modes and it works great. Comes with a very nice case. I’m going to leave it in the car and I will be go back to the Porsche charger for at home use once I get the new 240V plug although I really have had no problems using the one that came with my 2021 4S even at 100%. I have a brand new 50 amp service NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage and have had no overheating problems whatsoever. The J+ is much more easy to travel with than the Porsche unit.
I bought the same one. Works great and it's well made. I appreciate the fact that you can select varying power levels too so it comes in handy for using in places with 30A service, reduced power, or converting from other plug styles. Plus it's much more portable than the PMCC so it travels better in either of our EVs.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update on the Audi recall. Dealer claims they have the new 240V cables in stock. However, there is a catch, apparently the cable is one of two recalls in a set to be done together, and they need to update car firmware to give me the new cable. They need the car “for a better part of the day”, so a month out scheduling.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Finally got my check today. Submitted on 2/22 so pretty much 6 weeks to the day. I did call late last week and the customer service rep said that they’re running behind right now

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Mine was also 6 weeks.

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Got my check today, submitted on 2/22.

Interestingly they gave me more than $600…

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
this also works - but it's only 5 ft cable - little less working room - but includes the clamp to seal the entrance where the wire enters the Tesla dock…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQ5N5D1...p_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM

but you get the idea - the difference between a hard wired unit and a plug based unit is basically if the EVSE vendor ships the EVSE with one of these cables 'pre-installed' - at the end of the day - all North American EVSE's are simple 3 wire devices - two 120V hot wires + ground wire - and you're good to go.

if you're not comfortable with _ANY_ of this simply hire an electrician - it's an easy device to wire up and if you already have the 50 amp circuit - adding _ANY_ EVSE to an existing 50 amp circuit should be less than two hours labor (easy) really one hour if the electrican is competent.

the trick is to use better wire than porsche - all the plugs wires I've linked are 6 gauge wire for the 2 120V hots, and 8 gauge wire for the neutral/ground - more than sufficient for 50/40 amp usage.

DO NOT USE 10 AND/OR 12 GAUGE WIRE FOR THIS APPLICATION. 6 GAUGE FOR THE HIGH VOLTAGE LINES (RED/BLACK) - 8 GAUGE FOR NEUTRAL/GROUND are the MINIMUM RECOMMENDATIONS FOR CONTINUOUS 50/40 AMP CURRENT LOADS THAT WILL RUN FOR HOURS CHARGING A 90 KWH BATTERY.
@daveo4EV how does the little clamp that comes with the cable seal the opening into the dock mount?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Got my check today, submitted on 2/22.

Interestingly they gave me more than $600…
Added a 0 perhaps for a grand total of $6,000? Or maybe forgot the decimal point making a check for $60,000 instead of $600.00? ;)

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Added a 0 perhaps for a grand total of $6,000? Or maybe forgot the decimal point making a check for $60,000 instead of $600.00? ;)
Well not that much! Just $1200