Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
https://insideevs.com/news/511311/porsche-sub-taycan-electric-car/

Autocar quotes an unnamed Porsche engineer who revealed the news as saying
The modular nature of the PPE platform will allow us to extend our electric car line-up with a range of different models. It is engineered for standard and high ground clearance. A second sedan [saloon] model is one possibility.
The source adds that even though the decision to build this vehicle or not has yet to be made, Porsche would have the production capacity to accommodate it. It points to rumors that the automaker is investing some €600-million ($734-million) in its Leipzig, and aside from adding a new body shop, the investment will also enable the company to build ICE, electrified and fully-electric vehicles under the same roof.
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I see GM of the 1980s here with these shared platforms, it didn't work well for GM, I hope VW doesn't go the same way

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I see GM of the 1980s here with these shared platforms, it didn't work well for GM, I hope VW doesn't go the same way
Porsche's best selling product is on a shared platform (heck, the Macan was on the *older* Q5 platform for quite a while), and we wouldn't have new 911's and the Taycan without the sales of the shared platform vehicles.

Sharing a platform with the Q7 isn't preventing any Urus sales.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
You can thank me for this...I've been waiting for an EV more my speed (2 door, ideally open roof or sunroof, etc). I finally decided to stop waiting and make peace with the Taycan.

Of course the very next week, this happens :)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Without platforms, no car manufacturer can compete and survive in the volume market!

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
This is not so surprising. If you cut out the foot garages and eliminate the back seat, you have an EV with the same battery capacity of the Taycan that is slightly shorter than a 911. You could probably increase capacity and power as well.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
With respect to increased power, and therefore performance, the key is in the first sentence of the article that refers to a smaller, less expensive vehicle. Porsche won't let a model further down the food chain outperform it's more expensive sibling (witness Cayman/Boxster and 911) at least for several years into the model run when the higher end model gets upgraded.

I'm not suggesting a new sub-Taycan wouldn't be an interesting and desirable car, just that it will be kept beneath it's bigger brother performance-wise.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
There have been a couple of articles in the weekly PCA email newsletter quoting various sources in reference to the ‘possibility’ of a BEV Boxster. The gist of these articles is that Porsche is still experimenting with different battery technologies/configurations in order to fit enough battery somewhere that also provides good range & the necessary performance, with various Porsche executives stating they will not produce a wimpy car just to have an electric version.

So if PCA is a good source, then it seems like it could be a few years until Porsche releases a significantly smaller BEV. I would be first in line for a BEV Boxster, but if anything a convertible Taycan could be first.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
There have been a couple of articles in the weekly PCA email newsletter quoting various sources in reference to the ‘possibility’ of a BEV Boxster. The gist of these articles is that Porsche is still experimenting with different battery technologies/configurations in order to fit enough battery somewhere that also provides good range & the necessary performance, with various Porsche executives stating they will not produce a wimpy car just to have an electric version.

So if PCA is a good source, then it seems like it could be a few years until Porsche releases a significantly smaller BEV. I would be first in line for a BEV Boxster, but if anything a convertible Taycan could be first.
A few years is a safe bet in any scenario.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
A few years is a safe bet in any scenario.
‘zaxctly why I bought the 4S in the meanwhich...nothing terribly against Tesla but after 7 years I was done with the cars & the fanboiism.
Sponsored