New software update coming? Anyone?

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I wonder if my car is trying to process an update.. On Sat, I touched the PCM screen by accident with the car off/no key nearby; the Porsche logo came up and stayed there for a while. Drove the car later, no issues. A "display notifications" popup showed up later that day, and of course there were no notifications when I clicked on it. :rolleyes:

No drives on Sun & Mon; this morning the PCM was stuck in the Porsche screen, and despite 3 attempts to reset it over ~40min total drive time, it wouldn't boot up. This would be a first for me, I haven't experienced (generally speaking) PCM issues. I'm curious if it will have fixed itself by EoD.
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I wonder if my car is trying to process an update.. On Sat, I touched the PCM screen by accident with the car off/no key nearby; the Porsche logo came up and stayed there for a while. Drove the car later, no issues. A "display notifications" popup showed up later that day, and of course there were no notifications when I clicked on it. :rolleyes:

No drives on Sun & Mon; this morning the PCM was stuck in the Porsche screen, and despite 3 attempts to reset it over ~40min total drive time, it wouldn't boot up. This would be a first for me, I haven't experienced (generally speaking) PCM issues. I'm curious if it will have fixed itself by EoD.
You dared to use the PCM in a manner never anticipated by the coder - touching the PCM screen with no key in the car. This usecase has never been tested, so outcome is undefined. Now you are paying for it. 😝

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Fun fact, when stuck like that, the surround view can still be activated (I have the IC diamond set to surround view).
I had this "spinner" problem happen yesterday. Tried the 2-Finger reset and that didn't work. Left the car for a while and it self corrected.

I also have the same custom button to show Surround View, and I was surprised it worked.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I also have the same custom button to show Surround View, and I was surprised it worked.
Backup camera is a safety item, so if that fails NHTSA could force the manufacturer to recall the car (they did that with Tesla when their infotainment would refuse to boot, no backup camera, no heating/defrost controls). AFAIK Porsche implemented the backup/surround camera as a native app, as opposed to a Docker container, so it will:
  1. be available sooner and within some max time after starting the car (there are requirements in different countries how soon after ignition the backup camera must be available). The dockerized apps have no max boot time guarantees.
  2. be available even if the rest of the PCM hangs or otherwise fails to boot
Side note, Tesla implemented a "failsafe mode" after the recall (which costed them a bunch of money as it required new hardware, given for free to all cars even out of warranty) - if the infotainment fails to boot (bad EMMC for example) it just boots to a backup camera view with defrost buttons (IIRC).

Last edited:

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
WPN8 was installed on my car on Tuesday while it was in for something else. Picked up my car to day to find out it was not solved and left with the Panamera loaner, I hope I can pick it up tomorrow.

Message is callback action, reprogramming central computer.

Jeffrey B

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW M6; Porsche Taycan GTS (on order)
Country flag
On top of that I hope for door handles extending every time I'm approaching the car and smoother App/PCM interface. The app takes over 1 minute to connect and any command takes 15 seconds. And nicer graphics, its very similar to old Panamera PCM.
I totally agree with app taking so long to connect and delay in commands. Not close to Tesla software performance but hoping someday will catch up. Love my GTS though despite these drawbacks but we should have software to mirror car performance For sure

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I totally agree with app taking so long to connect and delay in commands. Not close to Tesla software performance but hoping someday will catch up. Love my GTS though despite these drawbacks but we should have software to mirror car performance For sure
Software performance matches car performance in straight line already. Teslas are just faster both in software and in straight line acceleration. 😝 Personally I'm hoping for a software upgrade to unleash the motor power Porsche locked up under Launch Control only, which I never use - I want that power highway speeds passing, like Tesla, Audi, and others have.

OP
OP
Rik_CT4s

Rik_CT4s

First Name
Rik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo MY22
Country flag
Software performance matches car performance in straight line already. Teslas are just faster both in software and in straight line acceleration. 😝 Personally I'm hoping for a software upgrade to unleash the motor power Porsche locked up under Launch Control only, which I never use - I want that power highway speeds passing, like Tesla, Audi, and others have.
Will this ever happen? Hope so!

rim23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yeah, at least like BMW did that - via boost that lasts 10 seconds

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, at least like BMW did that - via boost that lasts 10 seconds
Yea, everyone else did that. Only Porsche locked it behind LC. The only reason I can think of is they really want to limit the boost usage - perhaps they cheaped out on some parts like they did with PMC+/PMCC wiring they are now recalling. Bottom line is I doubt they will enable it, even though it is absolutely technically possible (there is a company in EU that sells a software hack for it already). Furthermore, given Porsche's very limited OTA capabilities, this would more than likely be a dealer visit, meaning a cost to Porsche per car to update, which makes it even less likely they will ever give it to existing owners, even if the refreshed Taycan had it unlocked.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Yea, everyone else did that. Only Porsche locked it behind LC.

... given Porsche's very limited OTA capabilities, this would more than likely be a dealer visit, meaning a cost to Porsche per car to update, which makes it even less likely they will ever give it to existing owners, even if the refreshed Taycan had it unlocked.
I'd be willing to go to the dealer and even pay a bit to get this unlocked and factory supported
... in case anyone from Porsche is reading ;)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'd be willing to go to the dealer and even pay a bit to get this unlocked and factory supported
Define "a bit". $10, $50, $100, $1,000, $2,500, $5,000, $10,000, $15,000?

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
Define "a bit". $10, $50, $100, $1,000, $2,500, $5,000, $10,000, $15,000?
Hard to pinpoint just how much, but much like art, I know it when I see it. No, wait, that's not about art but something else.

How about somewhere under $1000?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hard to pinpoint just how much, but much like art, I know it when I see it. No, wait, that's not about art but something else.

How about somewhere under $1000?
If you tell that to a dealer, $999.99 it is then. ;)
Sponsored