Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ferrari 360 spider, Jaguar I-pace, VW Karmann Ghia
Country flag
Hey guys, I just pulled the trigger on a 2021 Turbo S with just 870 miles and in pristine condition. Loving it so far, one of the most beautiful cars ever and I plan to use it as my daily. The dealer already invited me to come back for some more 'training' but I had a few questions I'd like to run by other drivers......answer whichever you like and only what you want to, thanks!

The key fob. We leave the keys to our cars in the cars....our property is secure and it's nice never having to look for keys. With my Jag, I just leave the fob in the center console. Can I do this with the Taycan? It seems like something doesn't entirely shut-down and the salesman told me that Porsche doesn't want us to do that and so I should keep the fob outside the car at least 5-feet away. Does anyone leave their fob in the car?

While cruising on the freeway, does anyone ever experience a slight and momentary reduction in power when you initially push down a bit on the accelerator? Not so much flooring it but when you nudge in a bit more power there sometimes seems to be a bit of a flat spot before the juice comes on. Not always, just occassionally...is this my imagination?

The Porsche 40-amp charger that came with the car, can I plug that into my other EV's? We have a Jag I-Pace and Fiat 500e and I'd like to be able to plug those in as well

When I get onto the freeway and just punch it, is that pretty much the same max-power as doing a 'launch'? Is the car quicker to accelerate if it's in sport or sport-plus mode?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/has-anyone-used-the-pmcc-to-charge-a-non-porsche-ev.4844/
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...one-came-with-the-car-charge-other-evs.13121/

in north America the porsche charger sucks - you're best obtaining another EVSE that will serve you better - I'll be surprised if your unit has not be updated and is actually charging at 40 amps

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...fing-neutering-the-pmcc-via-ota-update.12791/
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...age…for-those-that-wish-to-over-do-it-….2343/

it's compatibility with other EV's is dicy and it's not the best choice -there are plenty of options that are high quality and excellent - EV charger _SHOULD_ be able to charge other EV's relably - unfortunately porsche's offering in this space isn't the best and falls short in this particluar category which is an unexpected result.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey guys, I just pulled the trigger on a 2021 Turbo S with just 870 miles and in pristine condition. Loving it so far, one of the most beautiful cars ever and I plan to use it as my daily. The dealer already invited me to come back for some more 'training' but I had a few questions I'd like to run by other drivers......answer whichever you like and only what you want to, thanks!

The key fob. We leave the keys to our cars in the cars....our property is secure and it's nice never having to look for keys. With my Jag, I just leave the fob in the center console. Can I do this with the Taycan? It seems like something doesn't entirely shut-down and the salesman told me that Porsche doesn't want us to do that and so I should keep the fob outside the car at least 5-feet away. Does anyone leave their fob in the car?

While cruising on the freeway, does anyone ever experience a slight and momentary reduction in power when you initially push down a bit on the accelerator? Not so much flooring it but when you nudge in a bit more power there sometimes seems to be a bit of a flat spot before the juice comes on. Not always, just occassionally...is this my imagination?

The Porsche 40-amp charger that came with the car, can I plug that into my other EV's? We have a Jag I-Pace and Fiat 500e and I'd like to be able to plug those in as well

When I get onto the freeway and just punch it, is that pretty much the same max-power as doing a 'launch'? Is the car quicker to accelerate if it's in sport or sport-plus mode?
sports plus will be quicker - and if you do launch control even quicker.

OP
OP
Steve R

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/has-anyone-used-the-pmcc-to-charge-a-non-porsche-ev.4844/
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...one-came-with-the-car-charge-other-evs.13121/

in north America the porsche charger sucks - you're best obtaining another EVSE that will serve you better - I'll be surprised if your unit has not be updated and is actually charging at 40 amps

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...fing-neutering-the-pmcc-via-ota-update.12791/
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...age…for-those-that-wish-to-over-do-it-….2343/

it's compatibility with other EV's is dicy and it's not the best choice -there are plenty of options that are high quality and excellent - EV charger _SHOULD_ be able to charge other EV's relably - unfortunately porsche's offering in this space isn't the best and falls short in this particluar category which is an unexpected result.
Wow, you certainly seem to be well versed in this area. Oddly, I believe our EV's have their chargers built-in and the external 'charger' we know just regulates the flow of energy or something. Here at my home I have an Amazon brand 32-amp charger and it works great with anything I plug it into. My outlet has the 40-amp configuration (and the supporting gauge wiring and breaker) so I figured I'd use the Porsche charger for a bit more speed. When I picked-up the car the salesman gave me a black little (heavy) briefcase and told me the car should have come with a charger and 'here's a charger'.....but I found the 40-amp charger in the rear trunk so now I have two of these P-car chargers. I assumed, by their weight and brand, that they must be better but it sounds like I may want to stick with my 32-amp unit.

And what's this about charging at 40-amps? Is that to suggest it continues to shove 40-amps of juice into the batteries even after they are charged? You mentioned an update??

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yes all EV's have the charger "in the car" the external box (of any size and weight) is called an EVSE - the big Porsche box is an EVSE - as is your Amazon 32 amp EVSE

the Porsche EVSE is not the best offering in this catagory of device and has issues…and has dodgy compatibility with other EV's

if your current EVSE is working I'd keep using it and ignore the Porsche EVSE

if you want to charge faster than 32 amps - there are numerous high quality and high compatibility alternatives - I don't believe most Taycan owners on this forum knowing what they know today would make the Porsche EVSE their primary EVSE…(they are welcome to chime in and call me a liar for speaking for them)

the Taycan's maximum charging rate (unless you have the optiona 19.2 kW charging option) is 11 kw - or 48 amps - that would require a 60 amp breaker and appropriate wiring and a hardwired EVSE - but there are lots of good options:

if you want an alternative 40/48 amp charger:
  • clipper creek
  • Tesla J-1772 Gen3 wall charger
  • Tesla wall charger Gen2/Gen3 w/TeslaTap required
  • wallbox
  • charge point
  • Autel (do I have that right?)
  • JuiceBox
  • Electrify America home charger
  • Ubiquity
  • Ford Pro Charger (although you'd be restricted to passenger side charging)
  • others…
lots and lots of high quality high compatiblity EVSE alternatives mostly for less than $800 - some quite a bit less

the Taycan is an impressive EV and you'll be very happy - Porsche's North American EVSE not so much…

since you own multiple EV's I'd invest in a charger capable of 'sharing' power and charging two EV's at once - if you want to go down this rat hole we can have a long thread discussing it - but it makes owning and charging multiple EV's child's play and will just share your existing 50 amp circuit and intelligently manage charging 1 or more Ev's to stay in budget for the 50 amps.

Last edited:
Reactions: B61

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Like Dave said, you don’t need to use the Porsche charger. I use my old Tesla charger with a TeslaTap adapter and it works like a charm. I literally have never used the Porsche charger. It resides in the space below the trunk collecting dust.

OP
OP
Steve R

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I literally have never used the Porsche charger. It resides in the space below the trunk collecting dust.
Remove it from the trunk....over the year it'll save you enough millivolts to light a home for 5 minutes! LOL

the Porsche EVSE is not the best offering in this catagory of device and has issues…and has dodgy compatibility with other EV's

if your current EVSE is working I'd keep using it and ignore the Porsche EVSE
Here's my Amazon EVSE: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078PKB2JW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 <-- this thing works PERFECTLY on any EV, it's a no-brainer

My garage has a 100-amp panel and around my garage I have a 3 240-volt outlets. There are 2 40-amp outlets and 20-amp outlet. We have 2 chargers, the 32-amp cited above and a similar 16-amp.....the Fiat gets the 16-amp (and takes all of 2-3 hours to fully charge) and the Jag usually gets the 32-amp and that too will fully charge by morning if plugged-in at night. In fact, the Fiat charges so quickly that I often unplug it and use the 16-amp for the Jag just so it charges slower and more gently and it still gets the job done. It's not very often that both cars are charging at the same time, largely because the Fiat charges so darn fast (due to it's low 100-mile range)

My commute involves going to a ranch/farm about 35 miles away and/or another property 54 miles away, both properties have 16-amp chargers. Unless I'm being mindless, it's as simple as plugging-in at any location if the range is low.

Hearing that the Porsche EVSE is not awesome, I think I'll just stash it in the corner next to OEM wheels that were taken off other cars....for that 'some day' when we go to sell the car and can include to the buyer but more often than not, you forget about it or they don't want it, LOL

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I literally have never used the Porsche charger. It resides in the space below the trunk collecting dust.
And reducing your efficiency due to the extra weight in the car. Oh the irony of Porsche EVSE's! ;)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Remove it from the trunk....over the year it'll save you enough millivolts to light a home for 5 minutes! LOL

Here's my Amazon EVSE: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078PKB2JW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 <-- this thing works PERFECTLY on any EV, it's a no-brainer

My garage has a 100-amp panel and around my garage I have a 3 240-volt outlets. There are 2 40-amp outlets and 20-amp outlet. We have 2 chargers, the 32-amp cited above and a similar 16-amp.....the Fiat gets the 16-amp (and takes all of 2-3 hours to fully charge) and the Jag usually gets the 32-amp and that too will fully charge by morning if plugged-in at night. In fact, the Fiat charges so quickly that I often unplug it and use the 16-amp for the Jag just so it charges slower and more gently and it still gets the job done. It's not very often that both cars are charging at the same time, largely because the Fiat charges so darn fast (due to it's low 100-mile range)

My commute involves going to a ranch/farm about 35 miles away and/or another property 54 miles away, both properties have 16-amp chargers. Unless I'm being mindless, it's as simple as plugging-in at any location if the range is low.

Hearing that the Porsche EVSE is not awesome, I think I'll just stash it in the corner next to OEM wheels that were taken off other cars....for that 'some day' when we go to sell the car and can include to the buyer but more often than not, you forget about it or they don't want it, LOL
then you are set

one possibility is to do the following (but 100% un-necessary)

purchase 3 Tesla J-1772 EVSE Wall Chargers
connect all the Chargers to your existing 100 amp circuit with oppropriate gauge wire
configure each unit to 60 amp breaker/48 amp charge rate
join the units to "powersharing" via wifi
and all 3 chargers are now 48 amp chargers - but will split load as necessary upto the 80 amp (100 amp breaker) current limit…

that means all chargers are now what ever amps they need to be and can afford to be at the moment - with each charger offering max 48 amps.

but again completely un-necessary.

but it sounds like you're in great shape to ignore the Porsche EVSE.

enjoy the car - ignore the EVSE.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is 40A version of it too, same price apparently:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07THBGGMG

That said, as @daveo4EV said, with multiple EV's in the garage, it might be nice to install one EVSE per vehicle and have them all share a power budget - no need to remember to go unplug one and plug another one back it. IIRC, the Tesla one can share with up to 6 peers, it's 48A capable, and costs $550.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Could it be the gear shift? Taycan has a 2 speed transmission on the rear axel.

OP
OP
Steve R

Steve R

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Could it be the gear shift? Taycan has a 2 speed transmission on the rear axel.
No, it's purely in the peddle, per se.....definitely not the 2-speed tranny. It's like a flat-spot of hesitance, kinda weird but no biggy

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
No, it's purely in the peddle, per se.....definitely not the 2-speed tranny. It's like a flat-spot of hesitance, kinda weird but no biggy
Is delayed acceleration happening at a certain speed such as the posted speed limit? If so, you may need to explore the deeper settings for Innodrive, range mode, etc. I only experience delayed acceleration with (1) transmission shift in normal or range mode, and (2) in range mode with Porsche Intelligent Range Manager (PIRM) active when I'm trying to exceed the speed the car thinks will prevent me from reaching the next charging station. Perhaps this also happens in one of the semi-automated drive settings such as Innodrive where the car is trying to keep you bounded by the posted speed limit. I've disabled some of the limits so I can't remember.

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag

Leave the keys in the car when not using is fine. I have been doing with mine. It just seems to take a bit longer for the car to go to sleep or fully shut down.
Enjoy your new car.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
range mode will "stall" at current "max" range speed and you have to really really "override" it - I drive in normal and the pedal response is fantastic…
Sponsored