FrankM78

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Upgraded my Model S to Taycan 4S yesterday. Love the car, but having trouble charging at home. I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet I also used to charge my Models S. I setup the charging unit today, but every time I plug in to charge, I see the unit pull only about 1.5 A of possible 40 A. After a couple of minutes the car charging will stop and the Porsche Connect app will report a charging error without any details. The car charges fine elsewhere, so something is going on with that charging unit. I tried for 4 hours to debug this, but without any details it’s hard to know what the issue is. The changing unit always shows green, and the car provides no details.

Any ideas how I can get more error details or what it might be?
Sponsored

OP
OP

FrankM78

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Upgraded my Model S to Taycan 4S yesterday. Love the car, but having trouble charging at home. I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet I also used to charge my Models S. I setup the charging unit today, but every time I plug in to charge, I see the unit pull only about 1.5 A of possible 40 A. After a couple of minutes the car charging will stop and the Porsche Connect app will report a charging error without any details. The car charges fine elsewhere, so something is going on with that charging unit. I tried for 4 hours to debug this, but without any details it’s hard to know what the issue is. The changing unit always shows green, and the car provides no details.

Any ideas how I can get more error details or what it might be?
I should add that the car is 54% charged. I created a home profile to charge to 80% and I tried direct charging. I think the car is trying to charge, but the unit is not letting it somehow.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
What EVSE are you using?

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Since you’ve tried Direct Charging that rules out any app misunderstandings.

since you’re not anEV Noob I’m assuming you’re sure the J1772 is completely plugged into the car? I got red lights the First couple times I tried charging my model S when I first got it because the car receptacle was a lot more snug fit then my LEAF, and the plug wasn’t in far enough.

If you suspect the outlet, there’s this.

I’m guessing you just used the Tesla Mobile Charger in the past?

Last edited:
OP
OP

FrankM78

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
What EVSE are you using?
The Mobile Charger Connect. One thing that was slightly weird, when I purchased the car (new) it was missing the cable from the EVSE to the car. The dealer gave me another one that looks kind of old until they have a new one. I’m wondering if the cable has issues.

OP
OP

FrankM78

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Since you’ve tried Direct Charging that rules out any app misunderstandings.

since you’re not anEV Noob I’m assuming you’re sure the J1772 is completely plugged into the car? I got red lights the First couple times I tried charging my model S when I first got it because the car receptacle was a lot more snug fit then my LEAF, and the plug wasn’t in far enough.

If you suspect the outlet, there’s this.

I’m guessing you just used the Tesla Mobile Charger in the past?
Yeah, I had the Model S for 6 years and usually charged with the Mobile Charger at home. I really never had any issues with it. I’m surprised to see the issues with the Porsche unit so far.

I’m pretty sure they outlet is fine, as I have been using it to charge the Tesla for the last 3 years (new house). I’m also pretty confident that I’m inserting the charger correctly. The car and charger both light up Green. I can see on the display of the charger that it briefly indicates some As are flowing, but then it stops. The car just says charging 0 miles/min.

I was just curious if I was making some obvious mistake that all former Tesla owners make, but it doesn’t seem like it.

Is there no way to get a more detailed error message or access to the logs?

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If you have the PMCC, you can access it via its webinterface. You should have received the userid and password on a single sheet/piece of paper. Check the manual, I don't use the PMCC.

OP
OP

FrankM78

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you have the PMCC, you can access it via its webinterface. You should have received the userid and password on a single sheet/piece of paper. Check the manual, I don't use the PMCC.
Yep, I can log in, but there are no details, just my history of two min charges that added 0 miles. I am thinking either the PMCC or one of the cables is faulty and I am just wasting my time here.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Have you tried both ports?

My car seems a bit temperemental on one side home charging, but fine on the other.

Then maybe also try and use another Porsche charger (ideally borrow one from someone local to try at home) or a visit to dealership to try yours and another there (if they have that option)?

Just trying to narrow down to: home setup / Porsche charger / car / port.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yep, I can log in, but there are no details, just my history of two min charges that added 0 miles. I am thinking either the PMCC or one of the cables is faulty and I am just wasting my time here.
1. Check supply cable to PMCC is the correct one (needs to be of the correct ampage rating)
2. Check / replace the cable from PMCC to the car that it too is of the correct ampage rating
3. If you log on to the Porsche Mobile Charger Web Connect portal on the PMCC (as mentioned) and not the touch screen interface go to charging settings and make sure the ampage is set to 32A (or correct ampage for your supply). Also check the earthing

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Also check the earthing
This is why I suggested the outlet tester. It’s possible that the PMCC is more finicky about the circuit (in terms of the quality of the grounding, etc.) IIRC there’s another thread here about dodgy charging that ended up being related to a poor ground connection.

OP
OP

FrankM78

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is why I suggested the outlet tester. It’s possible that the PMCC is more finicky about the circuit (in terms of the quality of the grounding, etc.) IIRC there’s another thread here about dodgy charging that ended up being related to a poor ground connection.
1. Check supply cable to PMCC is the correct one (needs to be of the correct ampage rating)
2. Check / replace the cable from PMCC to the car that it too is of the correct ampage rating
3. If you log on to the Porsche Mobile Charger Web Connect portal on the PMCC (as mentioned) and not the touch screen interface go to charging settings and make sure the ampage is set to 32A (or correct ampage for your supply). Also check the earthing
Thank you. I am concerned it is a cable issue. When I picked up the car, it was missing the cable from PMCC to car. The dealership gave me another cable, but I am suspicious something is wrong with that cable. I will make my way to the dealership tomorrow, and they can demo to me how this should work. I suspect it won't.
Sponsored