Not Driving Taycan 4S for three weeks

darsh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am not going to drive Tacan 4S for three weeks. Any particular advise wrt the charging? Should I charge to 100% and then disconnect it? Any other advise?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I am not going to drive Tacan 4S for three weeks. Any particular advise wrt the charging? Should I charge to 100% and then disconnect it? Any other advise?
Not 100%, 50% - 85% would be fine.

3 weeks is not a duration long enough to take any precautions. 6 months would be different.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I can come over and baby sit it for you. Just need a plane ticket, some food in the fridge, and pocket change.
Although I’ve never driven on the wrong side of the road before… so there may be a few dings here and there.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Although I’ve never driven on the wrong side of the road before… so there may be a few dings here and there.
Cars in California drive on the right ride of the road. Same as in Poland, no?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Cars in California drive on the right ride of the road. Same as in Poland, no?
yes, my bad, saw the British flag up there and didn’t realize the baby’s sitting is actually in the US. All good though, that works for me. 😄

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I am currently in Australia for past few weeks. Left my Taycan at 55% charge and a few weeks later it is still showing 55%.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
This topic seems to always get a variety of different answers. Porsche’s official recommendation is to leave it at a SOC of 20-50%, plugged in, no timers, optimized charging profile set to 50%, and if for longer than 8 weeks to also trickle charge the 12v.

3 weeks is no big deal if the car is working properly but a few have experienced draining 12v in as short as 2 weeks. Likely a separate problem. I’ve had no issues with HV or 12v loss up to 8 weeks.

Porsche Taycan Not Driving Taycan 4S for three weeks IMG_1170

Source: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10209809-0001.pdf

And the less detailed version in the manual:
Porsche Taycan Not Driving Taycan 4S for three weeks IMG_1169

CarmelTaycan

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLE63. Taycan GTS ordered.
Country flag
I don’t understand why an electric car which is going to sit for a few months can’t be left plugged in and have the car provide appropriate charging to all the batteries as needed. It makes no sense to me that a car as advanced as the Taycan doesn’t have better battery management built into it. I’ve heard of owners needing to hook up “trickle chargers” to preserve an onboard 12-volt battery. Why can’t the car remain plugged in and manage itself?

OP
OP

darsh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don’t understand why an electric car which is going to sit for a few months can’t be left plugged in and have the car provide appropriate charging to all the batteries as needed. It makes no sense to me that a car as advanced as the Taycan doesn’t have better battery management built into it. I’ve heard of owners needing to hook up “trickle chargers” to preserve an onboard 12-volt battery. Why can’t the car remain plugged in and manage itself?
Yes, agree. The only risk I can think of is if there is electrical fault then it possibly may damage the electronics?

OP
OP

darsh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This topic seems to always get a variety of different answers. Porsche’s official recommendation is to leave it at a SOC of 20-50%, plugged in, no timers, optimized charging profile set to 50%, and if for longer than 8 weeks to also trickle charge the 12v.

3 weeks is no big deal if the car is working properly but a few have experienced draining 12v in as short as 2 weeks. Likely a separate problem. I’ve had no issues with HV or 12v loss up to 8 weeks.

IMG_1170.jpeg

Source: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10209809-0001.pdf

And the less detailed version in the manual:
IMG_1169.jpeg
Very useful information. Thanks for the details. Looks like Porsche and NHTSA both are recommending to connect to the charger while parking the Taycan for more than two weeks. I am thinking to leave It connected. It seems that 12V battery is not getting charged even if I leave the charger connected but I am not going to connect to the car (using my Porsche) often and so it should be OK.

Last edited:

FrozenBerries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Is the rationale for turning off the electric parking brake that the mechanical one will only be active if that one is disabled?

Also as others have noted, I thought the big HV battery trickle charged the 12V itself as long as we keep it plugged into a suitable charger?