On Demand performance upgrades possible?

OP
OP
Mike in CA

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Were they asking about monthly subscription FoD (pay monthly), one time fee FoD, or trully on-demand (e.g. pay $5 every time you engage the power boost, or even pro-rated by how many seconds you used it for)?
I can't go back and revisit the exact wording in the now closed survey but IIRC the 3 options you describe are pretty much exactly what they were implying in the question.
Sponsored

Rik_CT4s

First Name
Rik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo MY22
Country flag
Any progress on this? I have the CT TS and I am happy to have a bit more power yet again :)

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
I might be the odd one out with a view point that whilst I understand having the ability to add driving aid facilities to suit the occasional need works as a nice operating feature/provision. But to add speed seems a bit bizarre in that, if you need more speed/performance, then you should of purchased the next performance model up…..

Car manufacturers aren’t daft and I suppose this may be an alternative to get more revenue- resulting with an end of use calculations that if you had bought the next model up, would of been cheaper than paying monthly for a power hike on the lesser model.

Rik_CT4s

First Name
Rik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo MY22
Country flag
I would be up for this. Just unlock the full power during launch all the time.
And I do think there is a bit more on the table in the Turbo S with the different front inverter...I don't think its tuned to the max yet. It is quick, but I am happy with just a bit more power available at any given time (perhaps thru the sport plus setting), that would make the TS quite brutal. Maybe it is wishful thinking but doable it is if Porsche wants to

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I might be the odd one out with a view point that whilst I understand having the ability to add driving aid facilities to suit the occasional need works as a nice operating feature/provision. But to add speed seems a bit bizarre in that, if you need more speed/performance, then you should of purchased the next performance model up…..

Car manufacturers aren’t daft and I suppose this may be an alternative to get more revenue- resulting with an end of use calculations that if you had bought the next model up, would of been cheaper than paying monthly for a power hike on the lesser model.
The problem is that Porsche locks away significant power under Launch Control. Even if I paid extra for a Turbo S, I wouldn’t have gotten any more power without LC. So what would be the next performance model up for my Taycan CT Turbo? Model S Plaid? Air Saphire? Nevera? This upgrade would be cheaper except for Plaid which costs significantly less.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Electric motors are limited by how hot you are willing to let them get. If you take more power than their rating they give it until they overheat and fail.
If you try to take more than rated power from an IC engine it stalls.

Making comparisons between features of turbo IC engined and electric engined cars needs this to be taken into consideration, the EV is already a lot better on acceleration than equivalent power IC engined car.

The launch power is probably only used for 5 to 10 seconds in the Taycan and it may well be that is how long Porsche are prepared to let the motors heat up and maintain their required longevity for warranty.

Battery life is also shortened by being hot and whilst the thermal mass of the battery will limit the speed of temperature rise far more than the motors in some hot countries the battery may be also on the limit for longevity if extra power was drawn for long.

The roads around here are twisty and narrow, which is why I selected all the chassis options but felt a 4S had more than enough power for my use.
It has turned out to be the case, the chassis has been great and I have probably only ever used full throttle for a few seconds at a time.

More power would be pointless for me, particularly if it reduced life of the parts.

Last edited:

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
And I do think there is a bit more on the table in the Turbo S with the different front inverter...I don't think its tuned to the max yet. It is quick, but I am happy with just a bit more power available at any given time (perhaps thru the sport plus setting), that would make the TS quite brutal. Maybe it is wishful thinking but doable it is if Porsche wants to
From the strict launch perspective, every Taycan model is slightly detuned. Porsche has stated that repeatable performance is their goal, so 30% charge or 100% charge, with the battery warm, cold, or hot. It will perform the same.

Tesla leaves it all on the table so to speak and depending on battery charge and temp you'll get different performance. Great for Youtube videos though.
Sponsored