ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had watched several Alex on Autos reviews from TFLcars when it first came out. He he has an excellent one on charging. He took the car to 1% when Porsche asked him to come back at 5%. He then charged to 100% when Porsche asked him to stop at 80%. Not that I think it's a good idea to do this often, but it shows the limits.
Video:
I did pass this info to A Better Route Planner app development folks as well.

From the video I extracted the approximate charging steps and did a little rounding and guesstimation on efficiency to get the ~22.5min 5 to 80%. I think it's pretty accurate. The car is amazing in terms of bottom-end and top-end charging, Still doing 50kw to 80-96% and 20kw to 100%. I have watched dozens if T* videos where people are trying to get optimal range in a single charge and they can wait over 1hr to go from 90-100. It's never fast but the Taycan makes it look plausible. Note that this more than 80% charging is needed due to lack of charging infrastructure. Going on long road trips and wanting to focus on high speed Electrify America chargers may take you ~200mi between stops. Daily use I would only charge to ~80% on Level 2 chargers.

Note I also feel the EPA range is way conservative. I have a 2018 Chevy Bolt EV and though it has an EPA of 238 which I can easily over achieve in City driving, Highway is more like 200 if its not too cold. I watched a video from Calvin Kim when driving the Turbo to NY from Niagara Falls, he was able to get ~250mi per leg in Range mode and probably light AC. But that's the only way you would get near the max range. (see https://www.taycanforum.com/threads...at-270kw-using-electrify-america-charger.581/ )

I do hope to drive more spiritedly at times, but then I would plan ~150mi range.

Porsche Taycan Optimal Taycan Charging Assumed Optimal Taycan Chargi
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The above is from a little Google Spreadsheet, I have options to select start and end charge and max charging power and get estimated charging times.
1% to 95% in ~39min @ 350kW (Electrify America) but even if you drop to 150kW (EA or a good alternate vendor) then its only 5min slower at 44min. That was insightful for me.
Going to 50kW means 100min which would suck, i know.... My current EV charges even slower than that, and it's painful.

This is assuming you have wither 800v 150kW or the 150kW dc-dc upgrade option (which is pretty recommended).

The good news is: Electrify America (and Ionity in Europe) usage (up to 30min) is FREE for 3 years with the Taycan and they are popping up at a pretty good clip.

Note: These numbers are based on my estimations from watching 1 video on charging and looking at one Porsche Charging curve. I hope to have a car to experience it myself or until then hear from other owners.