Ordering a 4S blind

iten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Hi all,

I just want to get everyone's opinion here.

My freeze date is coming next week, but the sole dealer in the city only has a Turbo show car (no test drive).

The car is in the 115% tax bracket in the city I live in, so I have to super careful with the options I choose.

I do own a Model S P85D and Model X 90D.

I am planning on keeping the car for 5-6 years.

My Porsche code is: http://www.porsche-code.com/PL157S45

So here are the options that I have not checked but is considering:

1. Red two-tone Leather (USD 10,800): Anyone here has partial leather? Does it look cheap and did you regret not upgrading? I am ok with a black interior, but I believe that a USD250K car should have a leather dashboard. and door trim. The problem is that the salesman advised against the option because the residual value of this option in this market is zero.
  2. 14/18 ways seat(USD3,500/4,500): In all my previous cars, I always deflate my lumbar support and never extend the squab. However, with the car being so low, is it difficult to get in and out without the seat automatically moving back? Also, does the 8 way/ 14 ways provide enough side support? Kerb view parking aid is standard in all specs.
  3. Electric Sport Sound (USD1,300) I love good engine sound...but is the soundtrack worth USD1,300
  4. Performance Battery Plus (USD17,500) I do not have overnight charging and the fastest DC chargers here (if you can find one) are all 50kWh. However, the furthest you can drive here is 30mi/50km. I can survive with destination charging on my P85D for 5 days before doing a supercharging session. Also, can anyone here tell the difference in performance with/without the big battery? My salesman is also against me checking this option
  5. PDCC (USD8,700) Many hilly/bendy roads here. I drive above speed limits, but never anywhere near a car's limit...Already got rear-axle steering and Chrono Package.
  6. PTV+ (USD4,000) My previous car has torque vectoring, but I don't know if it has ever kicked in...Without PTV+ and PDCC...am I paying USD3,000 for a clock on my dash with the Chrono package?
  7. Accent Package Neodyme (USD 1,500). I have this checked because I do like some brightness and contrast in a dark cabin. I am just worried if it is too bling bling since I don't know which picture most accurately reflects the actual color. I also have the ambient lighting...so will that do the same trick?
  8. Porsche Crest on Headrests (Front Seats) (USD610)...I am used to having some model designation in my front seats....but is this option too obnoxious?
  9. Interior Carbon Trim (USD5,400)...The dealer doesn't know whether this will be glossy or matt Carbon...anyone has a good picture of the trim? I don't like the look or the carbon door sill shown in the configurator.
  10. Passenger Display (USD 2,700) I ticked this option...I think it is stupid as I hate people messing with my car setting...but it makes the car look so much cooler...Can someone talk me out of wasting this money:giggle::giggle::giggle:
  11. Bose (USD3,600). I never liked BOSE. I had a last-generation Audi A6 and S7. One with bose and one with Standard...I actually preferred the stock version better. I am by no means an audiophile, but I don't mind spending money on good audio systems. I like to listen to more crisp and clear vocals if you know what I mean....Please do not tell me to go with the Burmester because it is a USD16,000 option here.
  12. Electric Charging door (USD1,700) Looks cool, and I think the manual door is sticking out too much and someone may break /bend it by accident with all the tight parking here in the city...

Any opinions/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Just a few comments...

#3: Is the motor sound in your Teslas enough for you? The unamplified motor sound in the Taycan is a little bit more audible than in a Tesla. The added sound package of course is going to make it more obvious.

#7: I have Neodyme in my build, along with the red leather, which I think is an uncommon combination. My wife encouraged me to do something different than all black. The few pictures I’ve seen online with this look good. If I had done black leather I would’ve done Neodyme too.

#10: I have the display in my build, although it is less costly for me at 1130 USD. My wife wants something to do as a passenger and I agree it looks cool.

#12: I have the manual door in my build. It sticks out a little but I also don’t have to worry about a motor problem or sticking issue. So I decided to save some cost there.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi all,

My freeze date is coming next week, but the sole dealer in the city only has a Turbo show car (no test drive).

The car is in the 115% tax bracket in the city I live in, so I have to super careful with the options I choose.

1. Red two-tone Leather (USD 10,800): Anyone here has partial leather? Does it look cheap and did you regret not upgrading? I am ok with a black interior, but I believe that a USD250K car should have a leather dashboard. and door trim. The problem is that the salesman advised against the option because the residual value of this option in this market is zero.
  2. 14/18 ways seat(USD3,500/4,500): In all my previous cars, I always deflate my lumbar support and never extend the squab. However, with the car being so low, is it difficult to get in and out without the seat automatically moving back? Also, does the 8 way/ 14 ways provide enough side support? Kerb view parking aid is standard in all specs.
  3. Electric Sport Sound (USD1,300) I love good engine sound...but is the soundtrack worth USD1,300
  4. Performance Battery Plus (USD17,500) I do not have overnight charging and the fastest DC chargers here (if you can find one) are all 50kWh. However, the furthest you can drive here is 30mi/50km. I can survive with destination charging on my P85D for 5 days before doing a supercharging session. Also, can anyone here tell the difference in performance with/without the big battery? My salesman is also against me checking this option
  5. PDCC (USD8,700) Many hilly/bendy roads here. I drive above speed limits, but never anywhere near a car's limit...Already got rear-axle steering and Chrono Package.
  6. PTV+ (USD4,000) My previous car has torque vectoring, but I don't know if it has ever kicked in...Without PTV+ and PDCC...am I paying USD3,000 for a clock on my dash with the Chrono package?
  7. Accent Package Neodyme (USD 1,500). I have this checked because I do like some brightness and contrast in a dark cabin. I am just worried if it is too bling bling since I don't know which picture most accurately reflects the actual color. I also have the ambient lighting...so will that do the same trick?
  8. Porsche Crest on Headrests (Front Seats) (USD610)...I am used to having some model designation in my front seats....but is this option too obnoxious?
  9. Interior Carbon Trim (USD5,400)...The dealer doesn't know whether this will be glossy or matt Carbon...anyone has a good picture of the trim? I don't like the look or the carbon door sill shown in the configurator.
  10. Passenger Display (USD 2,700) I ticked this option...I think it is stupid as I hate people messing with my car setting...but it makes the car look so much cooler...Can someone talk me out of wasting this money:giggle::giggle::giggle:
  11. Bose (USD3,600). I never liked BOSE. I had a last-generation Audi A6 and S7. One with bose and one with Standard...I actually preferred the stock version better. I am by no means an audiophile, but I don't mind spending money on good audio systems. I like to listen to more crisp and clear vocals if you know what I mean....Please do not tell me to go with the Burmester because it is a USD16,000 option here.
  12. Electric Charging door (USD1,700) Looks cool, and I think the manual door is sticking out too much and someone may break /bend it by accident with all the tight parking here in the city...

the passenger display is a ridiculous waste of money

bose is fine. The car is insanely quiet.

I’m not a fan of the carbon fiber trim. Feels over done.

agree the Porsche crest looks better than the model trim on the seats

you can probably live without pdcc

the partial leather standard interior is a bit rough to swallow on such an expensive car. I’d get the upgraded Leather (not the Olea club thing)

14 ways is very nice.

electric sound seems dumb to me but what do I know ?

the performance battery plus also gets you an extra 40hp. Longer range and faster. I’d ditch other things for it myself. Ymmv

i like the neodym trim a lot so, go for it!

you don’t have to get the sports chrono, but I really really like it on the 911 to instantly reconfigure the drive modes on the steering wheel., and get a custom individual drive mode. on the taycan you‘d have to go through the touch screen without sports chrono to change between drive modes which is a total no go for me.

overall, you can’t really go wrong here, so make sure you end up with a car you’ll love driving. Good luck.

kevinod

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera 971
Country flag
Ultimately its personal choice.

Your list of definite's are very different to what I would class as being immediate ticks.

I would say sit down, work out a max budget you are happy with based on taxes and fees etc and then work through the options from that. Some of the items like passenger screens are really just luxury's, but are nice touches if you can keep them in budget.

OP
OP

iten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Thanks Taycantom.

#3: Is the motor sound in your Teslas enough for you? The unamplified motor sound in the Taycan is a little bit more audible than in a Tesla. The added sound package of course is going to make it more obvious.
The Tesla was never meant to be a fun car...so I don't really care
To me, the model S is just a people mover....I do not get excited about it....all I notice is the wind noise is really bad when driving on the highway....I don't know if it is related to build quality or the quietness of a EV....

#7: I have Neodyme in my build, along with the red leather, which I think is an uncommon combination. My wife encouraged me to do something different than all black. The few pictures I’ve seen online with this look good. If I had done black leather I would’ve done Neodyme too.
That's what I want to do too...if I decide to go all leather.

#10: I have the display in my build, although it is less costly for me at 1130 USD. My wife wants something to do as a passenger and I agree it looks cool.
you are not helping;)

#12: I have the manual door in my build. It sticks out a little but I also don’t have to worry about a motor problem or sticking issue. So I decided to save some cost there.
thanks
the passenger display is a ridiculous waste of money

bose is fine. The car is insanely quiet.

I’m not a fan of the carbon fiber trim. Feels over done.

agree the Porsche crest looks better than the model trim on the seats

you can probably live without pdcc
Good to know
the partial leather standard interior is a bit rough to swallow on such an expensive car. I’d get the upgraded Leather (not the Olea club thing)
Have you seen a partial leather trim in person? I think a partial Panamera is ok, but I think the fake leather / pastic because of the physical buttons...

the performance battery plus also gets you an extra 40hp. Longer range and faster. I’d ditch other things for it myself. Ymmv ya, leaning towards to adding that.

i like the neodym trim a lot so, go for it!
thanks!
you don’t have to get the sports chrono, but I really really like it on the 911 to instantly reconfigure the drive modes on the steering wheel., and get a custom individual drive mode. on the taycan you‘d have to go through the touch screen without sports chrono to change between drive modes which is a total no go for me.
that's my thought too...but my concern is, if I am not getting PTV+ and PDCC, is there much differences between the modes?
Ultimately its personal choice.

Your list of definite's are very different to what I would class as being immediate ticks.

I would say sit down, work out a max budget you are happy with based on taxes and fees etc and then work through the options from that. Some of the items like passenger screens are really just luxury's, but are nice touches if you can keep them in budget.
I don't have a budget, but I am trying to avoid ticking too many options to a point where buying a turbo makes more sense financially.....

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yes, even without the optional performance upgrades there is a huge difference between the drive modes. It effects the shift map for the gearing and the brutality of the accelerator and the performance of the air suspension.

range will be much softer and more efficient. Sedan like. if you mash the accelerator it’ll still bring the pain, but for more responsible use it’ll have a more gentle curve. It’ll avoid 1st gear for the most part.

sport mode is more “how Porsche intended it to be driven”. Stiffer, less efficient, more raw accelerator behavior

sport plus is crank this to 11, screw comfort or efficiency, dial the nannies down (but not off) and so forth.

really sports chrono has very little to do with the optional upgrades at all. It won’t disable PTV or PDCC even in sport plus. You have to do that separately for each if you want “track mode”.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello Iten,

first of all, don't worry much about ordering blind. I did so, too - I walked in the day after the announcement of the 4S and said "I want this car" :D. And it worked out well. I looked at your Porsche code and also at your questions. Here some thoughts:
    1. I'd strongly advise against the red leather. It is flashing, so if that is your personality, go for it. But otherwise, no. It is also not at all necessary in this car - just do a launch control once with a passenger and the car will be "red in their mind". Save the money, and I think your salesman is very right.
    2. I have the standard, entry level seat trim. I thought it looked surprisingly good when I ordered it, and it does so in reality. So I am not missing the leather for the looks. However, you may miss the leather for the different smell. The standard stuff just smells standard. I noticed the difference because all the cars I ever bought had leather except the 4S.
    1. I always inflate the lumbar support, so for me having the super adjustable seat is default. I am loving it because of my back. But getting in and out is not a problem. Also, you could program a "seat back" configuration and store it in the seat memory system and call it up manually by e.g. pressing "2" at the door after opening. But I don't think you will need it.
    2. Regarding side support: Yes, enough for me.
    1. I skipped it and would skip it again. The car actually has an outside sound which is very cool. Inside it is eerily quiet, which I like. Don't waste the money.
  4. Performance Battery Plus (USD17,500) I do not have overnight charging and the fastest DC chargers here (if you can find one) are all 50kWh. However, the furthest you can drive here is 30mi/50km. I can survive with destination charging on my P85D for 5 days before doing a supercharging session. Also, can anyone here tell the difference in performance with/without the big battery?
    1. Difficult question. In my location (Munich), the bigger battery is a must, I think. If you come to Munich ever, say hi and we take the T4S onto the autobahn :).
    2. If you like acceleration, I'd take the performance battery. I have become sort of addicted to launch control and my children are just loving it. And the car launches so easily that one could just have a little bit more acceleration at launch... That single point would make me consider a Turbo if I would have to buy again.
    1. I don't know about PDCC. From reading other people rave about the rear-axle steering, I think that it may have the biggest positive fun effect. I would probably skip PDCC.
    2. Very likely I would not take the Chrono package. I did not like the design, in fact, I hated it so much that even though I mistakenly thought that not having Chrono would disable launch control, I did not buy it. Fortunately, launch control is there even without the Chrono package.
    1. My guess is that the rear-axle steering gives you much more than the torque vectoring. Clearly something ommitable.
    1. The ambient lighting is a very nice gimmick, and especially when it is darker outside, does its job very, very well. I always have it on blue. So the Neodyme is very optional.
    1. The option is not obnoxious at all, I'd chose it. I mean, you considered red! Choosing red is 1.000 times more flashing than the crest on the headrest.
    1. I'd clearly skip it.
    1. No problem. It is quite easy to argue against the passenger display. Yes, I also thought it looks so cool, as if you are a currency trader with multiple displays. But a) it really is only for the passenger and b), this is the big one, there can be too much of a good thing. Especially at night, you don't need the extra displays, the cool cockpit display is pretty much enough. In fact, even the regular displays can be distracting and I found myself often switching the middle display off. So save yourself some money and don't buy the passenger display.
    1. Just make sure you don't buy the base audio system, it is not good enough. It is the one item I would definitely buy different, i.e. I would by at least the "first step up" audio system.
    1. Looks cool... and also unexpected. But it is clearly a gimmick for a car that needs no gimmicks, as it is so unbelievable good in itself already. So skip it.

Cheers,
Henrik

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
on the taycan you‘d have to go through the touch screen without sports chrono to change between drive modes which is a total no go for me.
Remember that there is the "Sport" button also on the lower middle console display. It is quite easy to find (bottom left corner) even when not looking, unlike if you go through the drive menu at the central display.

Cheers,
Henrik

bangersandmash

First Name
bib
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Alpina B3S, Opel Corsa electric
Country flag
i had red seats in my Z3M. Red seats alway look good on someone else's car. I would listen to HK111

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
i had red seats in my Z3M. Red seats alway look good on someone else's car. I would listen to HK111
If you want to order a 4S blind, you should be a bit careful. There are a lot of different options, with varying costs, so make sure that someone who is not blind is confirming the options or have the sales person read back the order to you before it gets submitted. ;)

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Hi all,

I live in SZ and for you in HK and I would first suggest:

1. Rear wheel steering, because it helps a lot for all the tight corners and parking spots in HK

2. Larger battery due to your lack of a wall box at home

3. Innodrive (available?) at least ACC for all the slow traffic in HK

These 3 options in my opinion make your life much easier almost every time you drive the car.

Everything else is personal taste. Hendrik, HK111, wrote a good answer! I agree with him besides the Electric Charging door. I ordered it, because you can open the charging doors from the inside and avoid dirty fingers.

DQLAV

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - Renault Captur - BMW 535i F10 (prev.)
Country flag
Hi all,

Red two-tone Leather (USD 10,800): Anyone here has partial leather? Does it look cheap and did you regret not upgrading? I am ok with a black interior, but I believe that a USD250K car should have a leather dashboard. and door trim. The problem is that the salesman advised against the option because the residual value of this option in this market is zero.
I ordered the standard partial leather, sat in a few demo's with partial leeather and full leather upgrade. For me personally, the partial felt good enough so i'd gone with black partial leather. However for the resale value the full leather black upgrade is way batter then partial so I maybe made the wrong choice...
14/18 ways seat(USD3,500/4,500): In all my previous cars, I always deflate my lumbar support and never extend the squab. However, with the car being so low, is it difficult to get in and out without the seat automatically moving back? Also, does the 8 way/ 14 ways provide enough side support? Kerb view parking aid is standard in all specs.
I'd gone with the 18-way seats, as a tall person the lumbar support is a must. It's also pretty nice you get electric adjustable steering wheel and memory for both front seats. Coming from a BMW with comfort seats which are 20-way it's a real downgrade to take 8-ways so I recommend the 14 or 18-way strongly! The comfort entry only comes with comfort acces I think (which I don't have and don't recommend)
Electric Sport Sound (USD1,300) I love good engine sound...but is the soundtrack worth USD1,300
In proportion, this is not the option to leave because of the price. I thought the sound was very cool, but it gives an extra dimension despite it being fake. It is really well implemented making it not sound fake and if you get tired of it you can always turn it off... So I'd took it!
Performance Battery Plus (USD17,500) I do not have overnight charging and the fastest DC chargers here (if you can find one) are all 50kWh. However, the furthest you can drive here is 30mi/50km. I can survive with destination charging on my P85D for 5 days before doing a supercharging session. Also, can anyone here tell the difference in performance with/without the big battery? My salesman is also against me checking this option
This really depends on your use and on the charging network in your area. You're saying there aren't any (fast)chargers nearby so I would take it then. However if you can charge at home with a speed of at least 7.4 kWh and you are not going to make long roadtrips, you're not in need of the bigger battery.. So it's really depending on your own circumstances. Since I'm living in the Netherlands and making a lot of holiday trips I'd took it, sometimes it's nice to have that extra juice. And, I do think the bigger battery really is an advantage for resale. The performance isn't very noticeable 0-60 times are exactly the same so you don't have to do it for the overall performance.
PDCC (USD8,700) Many hilly/bendy roads here. I drive above speed limits, but never anywhere near a car's limit...Already got rear-axle steering and Chrono Package.
I can keep this quite simple. If the budget is left with a place you can tick it, however, this is not the most important option that is really a must. I didn't take it because my budget wasn't infinite. I am also not a fan of Sport Chrono, the clock is annoying and the sunlight occasionally reflects off the windshield. The only advantage is the smaller GT steering wheel and the selector on the steering wheel. But that is quite an expensive pay imo.
PTV+ (USD4,000) My previous car has torque vectoring, but I don't know if it has ever kicked in...Without PTV+ and PDCC...am I paying USD3,000 for a clock on my dash with the Chrono package?
Exactly the same as with PDCC, I believe that in the Netherlands you should even combine both options and you cannot order them separately, but I can also be wrong.
Accent Package Neodyme (USD 1,500). I have this checked because I do like some brightness and contrast in a dark cabin. I am just worried if it is too bling bling since I don't know which picture most accurately reflects the actual color. I also have the ambient lighting...so will that do the same trick?
Accent package Neodyme is very personal and is a nice extra, it's not very flashy or something but I didn't took it because I don't think it's worth the amount. The light package is a better deal imo, it is definitely worth it!
Porsche Crest on Headrests (Front Seats) (USD610)...I am used to having some model designation in my front seats....but is this option too obnoxious?
The crests are very subtle and certainly not showy. It just breaks the leather surface on the headrest. And you don't have to miss this option because of the price because they're not that expensive..
Interior Carbon Trim (USD5,400)...The dealer doesn't know whether this will be glossy or matt Carbon...anyone has a good picture of the trim? I don't like the look or the carbon door sill shown in the configurator.
I did not take this because, compared to other Porsche models, very little Carbon is used and is visible. I thought it was really too expensive for that.
Passenger Display (USD 2,700) I ticked this option...I think it is stupid as I hate people messing with my car setting...but it makes the car look so much cooler...Can someone talk me out of wasting this money:giggle::giggle::giggle:
If you often travel with a passenger it is a nice addition, if that is not the case then I would leave it, it can also be too much which is not really pleasant at night. I also dropped it because I don't see the point of it, the co-driver can also move his hand a little to the left and use the main screen. Instead of the passenger screen I went for the 4-zone climate.
Bose (USD3,600). I never liked BOSE. I had a last-generation Audi A6 and S7. One with bose and one with Standard...I actually preferred the stock version better. I am by no means an audiophile, but I don't mind spending money on good audio systems. I like to listen to more crisp and clear vocals if you know what I mean....Please do not tell me to go with the Burmester because it is a USD16,000 option here.
Burmester is very good but certainly not necessary. Bose upgrade certainly benefits the resale value, I have been allowed to drive in taycans with all three audio systems. Must honestly say that for everyday use I noticed only a very little difference between the standard system and the bose system. Perhaps the high tones were a bit crisper, but that is hardly noticeable when the radio is on in the background. The difference with the Burmester is noticeable, it has much more bass and the tones sound nicer and clearer. However, I did not want to spend the (high) amount. I chose the standard stereo myself and then added the performance battery instead of Burmester.
Electric Charging door (USD1,700) Looks cool, and I think the manual door is sticking out too much and someone may break /bend it by accident with all the tight parking here in the city...
the manual door will not break easily. I went for the electric door anyway because that is one of the wow factors about the car. It is purely personal whether or not you choose this, but the standard manual door will not break off quickly. Whether you take the electric is up to you

An option that is still worth considering is the panoramic roof, which is really an extension of the interior and also offers 2 cm extra headroom to the rear passengers. It makes the interior feels more spacious and looks very cool.

OP
OP

iten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Thanks Henrik for the long reply..

1. I have the standard, entry level seat trim. I thought it looked surprisingly good when I ordered it, and it does so in reality. So I am not missing the leather for the looks. However, you may miss the leather for the different smell. The standard stuff just smells standard. I noticed the difference because all the cars I ever bought had leather except the 4S.
    I was more concerned about the quality of the partial leather than the color. You seem to suggest that the plastic is nice enough to not look cheap (I do like stitching tho)
  2. Difficult question. In my location (Munich), the bigger battery is a must, I think. If you come to Munich ever, say hi and we take the T4S onto the autobahn :) If you like acceleration, I'd take the performance battery. I have become sort of addicted to launch control and my children are just loving it. And the car launches so easily that one could just have a little bit more acceleration at launch... That single point would make me consider a Turbo if I would have to buy again.
    The reason why I asked is despite the increase in HP and Torque, the acceleration number seems to be identical (at least for the 0-60mph)
  3. The option is not obnoxious at all, I'd chose it. I mean, you considered red! Choosing red is 1.000 times more flashing than the crest on the headrest.
    Actually, would you go for the front option or both rear and front ??
  4. this is the big one, there can be too much of a good thing. Especially at night, you don't need the extra displays, the cool cockpit display is pretty much enough. In fact, even the regular displays can be distracting and I found myself often switching the middle display off. So save yourself some money and don't buy the passenger display.
    That's a very interesting point....

OP
OP

iten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
So the local dealer has finally flown in a 4S for test drives, but unfortunately, it arrived a day after my order was locked.

I just want to share with everyone here my opinion after seeing and driving the real car in person.

This is the link to my final spec: http://www.porsche-code.com/PMG1TTV0

• 20” Sport Aero Rims- The 4S was spec’d with this…It looked great from afar in pictures, but they are just hideous when you are near the car…I hope the 20” Turbo I ordered is better, but I think these aero rims are just hideous... The Mission E 21” with the big calipers is just beautiful….I would have gotten it if it doesn’t cost me USD19,000….
  • Sport sound…I got it the day before my order was locked, and I am regretting now. I got it because I wanted people to hear that I am driving an EV….from Porsche. I found the sound to be very annoying and caused fatigue quickly…I turned it off only after 10 minutes of driving. I thought the noise was just right with the sport sound off, which is similar to my Tesla.
  • Ambient Lighting…very disappointing compare to other German premium brands entry level products…I didn’t think it added much to the atmosphere.
  • Passenger Display…Looks great in pictures and from the back seat…but from the front passenger seat, it looked kind of small and useless.
  • Partial Leather: I love how the plastic trims (where the aluminum/ wood / carbon) look more carbon than the real carbon trim. The leatherette is extremely high quality if you look at the pieces individually. However, if you look at the product as a whole, it does become too plastic and lacks the luxurious feel for a car at this price should have. I would get it as a USD5K upgrade, but for most of us in Asia with 100-400% tax, I would skip it.
  • PCM….Not the most intuitive…and I gave up trying.
  • 4-zone climate control….looks great, and less annoying for the rear passenger since they are not driving.
So to the driving part…

My daily drive used to be an Audi S7…but recently I have been driving a Model S P85D preparing myself for the switch to EV as a DD. I have also owned a Model X 90D, so I am quite some experience with Tesla.

The test drive session was one hour long, and started with the salesman driving for 15 minutes while explaining the car to me and my friend. I took the next 15 minutes before my friend taking control during the last part of the test drive. At first, I thought the car was really quick, as this was the first time I have ever been in an EV as a passenger.

There was quite a bit of traffic on the test route, and I wasn’t able to really push it hard. In terms of acceleration, both my SP85D and X90D feels a lot more responsive than the 4S. This car has the small battery, and I wonder if the battery plus will make any difference. I definitely feel more confident of the car's handling, despite this car was not equipped with any of the performance enhancement such as rear axle and PDCC.

I think I picked the wrong car because I was looking for an extremely quick and practical premium / luxurious cruiser to replace my Audi S7. I rushed into this purchase thinking that the car is priced reasonably with some government incentives and gas savings...The price quickly escalated from a S7 replacement to a RS7 / 850i / AMG GT53 as I began to take on more and more options after paying my deposit:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:....

I hope my opinion will change if I get to drive it a bit more...

Jon Steinmetz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Great, now I am questioning my choice of the Black/ Bordeaux Red seats in a Dolomite Silver car. :p I see that is $4700 USD over the standard interior and my second choice would be the gray leather at $4130 USD. I think I have at least until October before it locks.
Sponsored