whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
For you, perhaps. For me, and traffic speeds where I travel, the apparently increased range would make many more itineraries practical with the Taycan.
Are you tempted to get on a list for a 2025 Taycan then?
Sponsored

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
range needs to effectively double to make a difference from the v1 Taycan. Effective range at 85 mph was only 190 mi. Needs to get to 400 to compete with lucid etc to get me back in one.
Would love that thought but this isn’t it. Probably barely 270 mi at 85 mph now.

why can’t get get the S.F. to LA road-trip in a single charge like lucid?!
You are one of the Californians that the proposed state law to restrict vehicles from driving more than 10 mph over speed limits is obviously meant for. ;)

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
San Francisco to LA? I'm not driving 6 hours in any car. That's the wrong tool for that job.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
For me, the dismal CCS1 infrastructure in New England is exactly why the '25 would be far more appealing than my '22: many more Taycan trips would be feasible w/o having to be at the mercy of EA and similarly dysfunctional networks.
I’m curious to see real world tests of the new Taycan, and I’ll be pleasantly surprised if the effective increase in range is more than 50mi. I can see how that may be the difference between a stop or none for a given trip, but i feel like the current gen would be able to make it, too (driven “sensibly”). Over multiple stop trips, the difference is academic.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
I’m curious to see real world tests of the new Taycan, and I’ll be pleasantly surprised if the effective increase in range is more than 50mi. I can see how that may be the difference between a stop or none for a given trip, but i feel like the current gen would be able to make it, too (driven “sensibly”). Over multiple stop trips, the difference is academic.
You know that’s a fair point I hadn’t thought of. Essentially and extra 50-75 miles means you can make it to the next EA station if the one you used to need was down.
That is a bit of a game changer. SF to LA would mean you could make it to
Lost Hills rather than Harris Ranch at 84mph.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
San Francisco to LA? I'm not driving 6 hours in any car. That's the wrong tool for that job.
Only 4.5 hours at 90mph. Which in California is “legal” (20 over rule).

once during height of covid I made it in 3 hours 50 min downtown SF to Hollywood bowl.

improbably did 10 runs in the taycan S.F. to LA. They were my best and worst memories of the car. Those first ones had so many issues and EA was garbage.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
Good point -- total apples & oranges here, comparing extensive real tests of real Taycans to social media and click bait impressions of loaners.

However, even for multiple-stop trips, if the typical summer range of ~250 really does become ~320, that matches up far better with typical (at least for me) stopping intervals, and even aside from that allows more flexibility in deciding where to charge.
And even more so when the current winter range drops to more like ~210.

Will be interesting to find out what the real range really is in the real world -- for real!

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you tempted to get on a list for a 2025 Taycan then?
I would definitely pay the MSRP differential right now if that could instantly upgrade my '22 CT range by ~70 miles!

But absent such a theoretical (and downright nonexistent) FOD upgrade ...
... my need for more range to support much of my skiing has been reduced by buying a house only 15 min from my favorite backcountry trailhead:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/charger-installation-q.18476/
... and 185 miles from our house, i.e., well within the Taycan range even in cold temps.
(Well, okay, sometimes only about 15 to 25 miles within the Taycan range, but good enough.)

So see, that's how expensive the Taycan is: costs a lot to buy, even used, then you almost inevitably end up selling it eventually at wholesale after buying it at retail, and, even worse, the CCS1 infrastructure in New England is so poor that you have to buy another house for L2 charging.

The other factor is that in another year (please Pretty PLEASE!) we'll have TSCN V3 & V4 access, which should make DCFC far more practical (unless I have to compete with hordes of other CCS1 refugees).
Also, by the time I could actually take delivery of a 2025 CT, the upcoming S6 etron and Polestar 5 might be tempting. (Or not!)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I would definitely pay the MSRP differential right now if that could instantly upgrade my '22 CT range by ~70 miles!
What is that differential? MY22 had $7,500 rebate, and MSRP was lower. You'd have to price it out and compare against the original MSRP, but perhaps $20K, $25K difference? Would you pay $25K to swap in a new Taycan battery into your current one (same remainder of warranty)? Would you pay $25K for an EV tender (extra battery to tow), or range extender (a generator to tow with you which can charge your battery by 70 miles)?

Last edited:

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Only 4.5 hours at 90mph. Which in California is “legal” (20 over rule).

once during height of covid I made it in 3 hours 50 min downtown SF to Hollywood bowl.

improbably did 10 runs in the taycan S.F. to LA. They were my best and worst memories of the car. Those first ones had so many issues and EA was garbage.
I quite enjoy that drive, and during peak covid I did SF to LA in 4 hours and LA to SF in 3h40min.

Some of us like road tripping
When I bought my 996, I picked it up in Santa Cruz and drove to LA; ~9 hrs, with a lengthy stop in Monterey, and a bad case of traffic (somewhere South of that).

The next day I drove it from LA to WA; started around 10am, suffered a fuel pump failure in Castaic (?), was towed back to Santa Clarita, and finally got back on the road around 5pm. Made it home next day at noon. For sure one of my most memorable drives.

Porsches are at home on the road.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
Country flag
What is that differential? MY22 had $7,500 rebate, and MSRP was lower. You'd have to price it out and compare against the original MSRP, but perhaps $20K, $25K difference? Would you pay $25K to swap in a new Taycan battery into your current one (same remainder of warranty)? Would you pay $25K for an EV tender (extra battery to tow), or range extender (a generator to tow with you which can charge your battery by 70 miles)?
Come to think of it, when I played around with the 2025 configurator, the differential seemed rather modest.
Although while I’ll likely be paying in about a year is ~$200 for an adapter and the occasional $0.50 per kWh for TSCN.

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
Country flag
Perhaps related to that final sentence I just wrote, until recently the app text was Non-Tesla yet now has been changed to EV, which perhaps means absolutely nothing, or perhaps means that Tesla is ready to open the floodgates:

Porsche Taycan Out Of Spec Kyle hypermiles prototype Taycan refresh to over 450 miles range! IMG_5028
Sponsored