Fun TC Driving

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 C8 Z06, 2024 iX M60
Country flag
Nice even though conservative driving at an average of 50 MPH, still had 4 adults in the car, hit two rain storms, night time headlights, etc, is still an amazing achievement. Looking forward to the standard Car and Driver range test @ their 75 MPH, and separately Out of Spec’s standard Colorado/Wyoming range loop test at 70 MPH. Betting they both exceed 325 miles, maybe one at 350.

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag
More interesting will be if any of these efficiency improvements come to us as an update or if it’s completely new motors/battery. Getting 5 mi/kwh on a 9 hour drive at 50mph average is astonishing.

My wife’s ID3 had a big in dealer update in Feb 23 and efficiency rocketed about 25% similar would be very welcome.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
More interesting will be if any of these efficiency improvements come to us as an update or if it’s completely new motors/battery. Getting 5 mi/kwh on a 9 hour drive at 50mph average is astonishing.

My wife’s ID3 had a big in dealer update in Feb 23 and efficiency rocketed about 25% similar would be very welcome.
Well it is a bigger battery (ca 100 kWh) and if mimicking the Macan chemistry may also have modified crystal structures that are both more efficient and less prone to cracking i.e. much enhanced (lower) rates of degradation. Also possibly allowing for more efficient charging.

Poshfpg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S ID3
Country flag
I’m more focussed on the efficiency than the growth in battery size, I don’t remember ever seeing 5 mi/kwh from any car on a reasonable test, mid 4s at best. I’m hoping they have found some way to improve the motors that we can benefit from. 🤞

We could ossibly gain some charging curve too but that’s less likely.

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around what an insane improvement they've managed to conjure up out of seemingly nowhere. Some improvement was expected, but these numbers are something completely different.

The Taycan was never a particularly efficient car, which wasn't exactly that surprising with the performance and absolutely ridiculous wheel sizes. Yet suddenly, they've somehow managed to transform it into probably one of the most long range and efficient cars in its segment.

I guess the one drawback is that the value of our current cars is going to be absolutely decimated.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
That charging experience is pathetic. I’ve never charged in California before but if that’s how it looks like, I wouldn’t ever charge outside of home. Here in Poland I never had to wait in line and the chargers work.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
@Perry: " I guess the one drawback is that the value of our current cars is going to be absolutely decimated. "

The biggest question prospective buyers ask my dealer is range and when they see 203 miles EPA in print they walk away. I am sure dealers have been vocal to have improved range one way or the other in the refresh. I am glad they listened. Is this going to move more units at increased prices?

I am not impacted by Range for local driving, but I have second thoughts if I can make it to the first available EA charger 240 miles away on my route to our HQ. Especially, hearing recent story on the forum if you get down to almost zero, calling anyone is not going to help, as they will not tow you to the charger a mile away but only to the nearest dealer, what nonsense is that.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That's our risk for early adoption, I suppose. I wonder how much more the new facelifted models wil weigh -- if it's a marginal increase, then it does seem like they've conjured something magical. I don't care about range, so I guess I'm locked into driving this thing into the ground anyway, but I'm much more excited for what it might mean for weight reduction in the Boxster/Cayman EVs.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That's our risk for early adoption, I suppose. I wonder how much more the new facelifted models wil weigh -- if it's a marginal increase, then it does seem like they've conjured something magical. I don't care about range, so I guess I'm locked into driving this thing into the ground anyway, but I'm much more excited for what it might mean for weight reduction in the Boxster/Cayman EVs.
Seeing Porsche make these advancements is great even though, like you, I’ll be driving my MY2020 4S for a long time to come. I have a feeling they’ve reworked a lot of the internal systems as well to minimize power draw along with other components (updated HV battery, primary). It be a shocker if the motors are substantially different, but you never know. They’ve been working on this model for a few years and if anything, Porsche is relentless in moving things forward.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I give Kyle a pass because I don’t consider him to be a real Reviewer (and he is firmly in the TLDR category for me) but I am disappointed in the real automotive journalists and publications that give audience to stuff like this. It’s not representative of the real world and will likely lead to frustration for those that may choose this vehicle as their EV. I give credit to Porsche for obviously having made some real improvements but this isn’t the best way to depict it.

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
I just noticed probably the one single biggest improvement of the new Taycan.

They replaced the regen button on the steering wheel with a media control button.

Porsche Taycan Out Of Spec Kyle hypermiles prototype Taycan refresh to over 450 miles range! 1707008085404

JonoNZ

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX M60, Audi RS3, Porsche Macan Turbo PR1X9KR5
Country flag
I just noticed probably the one single biggest improvement of the new Taycan.

They replaced the regen button on the steering wheel with a media control button.

1707008085404.png
That is the same as new Macan. Expect lots of Macan features to carry over into the new Taycan.

I was almost sure I’d go new Macan Turbo rather than refreshed Taycan…but now I’m not so sure after seeing what they’ve done with efficiency. I think it’s a big update. It sounds like prices are going up, but with that a bit more standard kit too hopefully (like we’ve seen with the new Macan).

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
That charging experience is pathetic. I’ve never charged in California before but if that’s how it looks like, I wouldn’t ever charge outside of home. Here in Poland I never had to wait in line and the chargers work.
We are really spoiled in (northern) Europe with the charging infrastructure.
I just return from a skiing holiday. Drove through Germany. Only used Ionity. Never had to wait, always +150kw. Most of the time +200kw.
In fact, I drive electric for almost 4 years, I have never ever had to wait to charge.
I drove mainly in Belgium, Netherlands, France and West-Germany.

I think that is why, for me, the small battery is good enough. There are plenty of chargers.
Sponsored