Owning 2 Taycans

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Just curious...would owning 2 Taycan's be completely insane??? I have 1 luv it...contemplating it but scared to give up Gasoline completely.
Sure, why not. Taycan is an amazing car. If your use case allows go for it.

We have 3 EVs no ICE. I'll never buy an ICE again.
Sponsored

Last edited:

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Personally I would keep one EV and one ICE for road trips. I've have a Tesla and while the super charging stations are abundant, I don't like having to add about 45 minutes of charging time for every ~200 miles driven.

Planning to get a Taycan Turbo S for daily and have a Cayenne GT for road trips.
45 minutes?! Is that due to lines at CA superchargers? In FL I never had to wait for a supercharger spot with my Tesla. Cayenne GT suspension may be a bit rough for daily duty. I have a '21 GTS and it is PERFECT for road trips. Recently completed a 16-hour round trip to PEC ATL and back - supreme comfort!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
if one EV is working for you two EV’s will work for you. I encourage it - I can barely stand the lag/noise of an ICE vehicle anymore - EV all the way for me. But I’m nuts…
I only enjoy ICE noise from ICE Porsches :cool: (CGT, GT3, GT2, 917, 959, etc...)

armanslr

First Name
Arman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2022 Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
45 minutes?! Is that due to lines at CA superchargers? In FL I never had to wait for a supercharger spot with my Tesla. Cayenne GT suspension may be a bit rough for daily duty. I have a '21 GTS and it is PERFECT for road trips. Recently completed a 16-hour round trip to PEC ATL and back - supreme comfort!
Yeah, here in SoCal Tesla's are everywhere and tons of people buy them without having a charger at home and use the super chargers to regularly fill up. We only have to use it during road trips but I just don't want to spend the time super charging every few hours during a road trip.

I daily my 911 Turbo S so I think the Cayenne GT should be a more comfortable ride. I drove a 21 GTS Coupe, beautiful car. I originally wanted to get that but I wanted the lightweight package without the Houndstooth, I prefer alcantara. Then the Turbo GT game along and it was perfect for what I was looking for.

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
I have a Taycan Turbo S and a Volvo XC60 T8. I was very close to ordering the Taycan CT to replace the Volvo but if the rumors are true, the electric Macan is set for release summer 2022 with delivery early 2023 so I decided to wait. If the rumors are right it will have 500 km range which is good enough for me to go fully electric on both cars.
Taycan is a shorter Cayenne (same outside dimensions)
Macan would just be a smaller taycan on stilts?

Taycan already does close to the 500km

Tall cars are dumb in my opinion :)

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
Maybe with one ST/CT and one Sedan? I had thought about, but two Taycans didn't make sense personally. However, we do have two EVs in the house and it'll stay that way moving forward. Saving the third car slot for a fun ICE car.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Have had 2 Model S's in the garage since 2016. Both my wife and I are on 2nd Model S by now. Took me about 3 years after I replaced mine before I was comfortable replacing the 2nd car with an EV, leaving us with no ICE vehicles. I also installed a whole house generator about the same time after experiencing a major power outage in the area (our house was only 10 hours, but some homes were out of power for up to 3 days).

Now waiting for a first Taycan, a year waiting so far, at least another year to go, but once I get it, it is quite possible my wife will like it and want one too. We've done the identical (almost) "his and hers" cars in the past a couple of times, so it might happen again. That said, at the rate Porsche is producing cars, it might me years before there are two Taycans in my garage, and by then I might move on to a different EV, or even a different ICE car. I don't really want to go ICE again, but our left wing governor is trying to pass a $0.25 per mile tax on all EV's (in addition to the gas tax already charged for EVs every year equivalent to driving 12K miles in an average ICE car, plus another $75 or $100 per year for EV charging infrastructure) - if that passes, I will be switching to a 1000hp+ ICE car to avoid paying the $0.25 democrat party tax - heck, if the voters want to vote for such measures, they deserve to choke on my exhaust fumes. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Chargeme!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2016 Cayenne S
Country flag
Not crazy, but I live in Texas. After what happened last year in winter, I need a gas back up. I also have a Cayenne S. I'm thinking of trading it for a hybrid, but that's all for me. I need a gas back up for now.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not crazy, but I live in Texas. After what happened last year in winter, I need a gas back up. I also have a Cayenne S. I'm thinking of trading it for a hybrid, but that's all for me. I need a gas back up for now.
Have you considered a standby whole house generator, and/or an EV which supports powering your home from the EV battery, such as the F150 Lightening (which should blend in nicely in Texas too)?

Teufel Hund

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan Turbo IGM
Country flag
I might have missed it on a forum thread here somewhere but I haven’t seen anyone refer to having solar panels or a solar roof to help offset charging costs. I’ve been on the waiting list for a Tesla Solar Roof for about 3-4 months now. With all the supply chain challenges I have no idea when it will get installed but I’m really looking forward to producing 110% of the energy we consume and having the Tesla Powerwall Battery for both helping to charge my Taycan (when I get it) and as a back up for power outages etc. The excess energy, when there is some, will go back into the grid and be credit. @Chargeme! - have you considered solar with one or two batteries? One battery is good for 2.5 days of power (for my usage).

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One battery is good for 2.5 days of power (for my usage).
Latest Tesla powerwall has 13.5KWh storage capacity. Your location shows South Bay, CA, which means you probably have an air conditioner or two, a microwave and of course the Taycan. Even if you have all other gas appliances, how do you keep your usage to 5.4KWh per day (or 225W average draw)? How many miles does your Taycan do per day, how big is your house and what temperature do you set you A/C to at home, in order keep your usage at or under 5.4KWh per day?

Teufel Hund

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan Turbo IGM
Country flag
Latest Tesla powerwall has 13.5KWh storage capacity. Your location shows South Bay, CA, which means you probably have an air conditioner or two, a microwave and of course the Taycan. Even if you have all other gas appliances, how do you keep your usage to 5.4KWh per day (or 225W average draw)? How many miles does your Taycan do per day, how big is your house and what temperature do you set you A/C to at home, in order keep your usage at or under 5.4KWh per day?
Good questions. During the day in which most of the systems you’ve listed would be used the solar roof produces enough power to run them. The battery would be used only in the evening. Since the roof would recharge the battery the next day I don’t honestly know why they quote a battery being good for two+ days. Maybe that’s just a standard description they put on the product? Thanks for bringing that up….. I’m going to reach out and ask. I don’t yet own a Taycan so that’s not in the equation yet. I know the roof and battery can’t do a significant charge on the Taycan without the grid but I’m sure that they will assist and keep my overall electricity bill lower.

im85288a

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST
Country flag
Good questions. During the day in which most of the systems you’ve listed would be used the solar roof produces enough power to run them. The battery would be used only in the evening. Since the roof would recharge the battery the next day I don’t honestly know why they quote a battery being good for two+ days. Maybe that’s just a standard description they put on the product? Thanks for bringing that up….. I’m going to reach out and ask. I don’t yet own a Taycan so that’s not in the equation yet. I know the roof and battery can’t do a significant charge on the Taycan without the grid but I’m sure that they will assist and keep my overall electricity bill lower.
I have solar panels, Tesla Powerwall and been pretty much doing what you described for the last couple of years. The key thing here is what output your solar panels can produce, my system is a 7.8kW which conveniently fits with the max the car can charge at on a single phase system (here in UK) at approx 7kW. The Tesla Powerwall will charge up pretty quickly to 100 percent (which as you said you’ll then use during the evening when the suns gone down) meaning you can most likely get a good period of charging going into the car.

As an example (and this is with my M3P as still waiting on my Taycan arriving) a few days ago I was down to around 15% charge, a couple of days later it was back up to 90% all charged from the sun.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I own:
  • EV's (since 2012)
  • Solar (since 2004)
  • Powerwalls (4x powerwalls) (since 2019)
My recommendation is to not have the batteries "charge" your EV - that's like filling up your swimming pool with Evian bottled water - the batteries are for the home, the EV is for personal transportation. Each Powerwall has 13.5 kwh of "usable" power (more like 11-12 in my experience for the past 3 years) - you Taycan has a 83 kWh battery - and it's easy to drive 20 kWh/day or more - that would be at least 2 Tesla Powerwall Batteries _JUST_ for the daily driving of the Taycan - not worth it in my opinion

if you want power on tap to "fill" your Ev - that's 8 powerwalls minimum just for the EV battery…that's a huge Powerwall system in terms of cost, capacity, space, and 240 amps worth of power as each Powerwall gets it's own 30 amp breaker.

in my area (Santa Cruz, CA) 24 320 watt solar panels produce 48 kWh/day in summer - and less than 20 kwh/day in winter in 100% perfect sunny days (less on cloudy days or weather) - the system since 2017 has averaged about 10,000-11,000 kWh/annually or an average daily output of of 30 kWh/day year round - that is about 450 kWh/panel annually.

I'll humblly suggest for 320 watt panels in California the range is 320-500 kwh/annual production for estimation purposes.

My home which has _NO_ ac, and _NO_ electrical water heater uses 20-50 kwh/day for _JUST_ the house - no EV charging is considered in that number - my home for example "idles" at about 0.8 kwh when everything is _OFF_ - and by off I mean just the fridge, wifi, cable modem, TV'S, and other "idle" appliances

0.8 kWh * 24 hours = 19.2 kWh daily usage _JUST FOR SHOWING UP_ with no actual usage (lights, TV's on, oven, stove, dryer, toaster, ceiling fans) Or about 2 powerwalls worth of power just to cover "idle" home usage.

You can estimate solar production using my numbers above * number of panels you'll install
You can estimate daily usage using my "idle" home numbes - I've had solar for over 15 years and know how much I use - I've found it very very difficult to get below 0.6 kW "idle" for the modern home - that's a minimum daily use for an idle home of 14.4 kWh for a fridge, wifi, microwave just sitting at the clock) and other idle consumers in one's home…

since the Powerwalls were installed in Feb. of 2019 in my area of santa cruz here are the "backup stats"

103 "outages" - most are 5 seconds or less
total outage time - ~3 days
latest signficant outage - 3 hours Jun 17th
longest outage - 16 hours

it is fairly easy to blow through 20 kwh (or about two powerwalls) in less than 24 hours for a typical home (again not even considering EV charging)

you can not plan on it being fully sunny to recharge the batteries the next day

the 16 hour outage brought me down from 100% battery to 30% battery before the sun came up and started charging the batteries

if your solar system produces 40-50 kwh/day - your home's idle daily usage is 50% of your total solar production - leaving the other 50% to charge the batteries

winter sucks - you will produce 50% less than summer - so good luck filling your batteries between oct-feb if you don't have a large system

more solar panels are better across the board

each Powerwall provides 30 amps of power - get at least 2 powerwalls for 60 amps worth of power - a typical home appliance is 30 amps (stove, oven, etc) - if you want to use these appliances while on "battery" power you'll need a powerwall/breaker for each appliance to stay with in load limits.

the best feature of battery systems is they keep the solar system producing during hte day to meet home demand when the grid is down - this is NOT the case for non-battery solar systems (solar shutsdown during grid outage for safety of the grid) - this ithe best and most subtle feature of Solar+batteries

you use more power than you realize

charging an EV from batteries is silly - there is at least 30% lost in that round trip (%5 power loss from panel to AC power, 5% loss from AC power to the battery, 5% loss from the battery back to AC power, 5% loss from AC power back to DC power to go into the EV battery- sooooo much loss - just don't do it).

I really really like the idea of using an EV power one's home during an outage - so far Ford offers the best story in this space as an actual finished product…we'll see.

for Reference purposes - we just completed an install of 55 380 watt panels for our HOA (to offset association usage) - 55 380 watt panels produce 120 kWh / daily - that production requires 100 amp 240V breaker - and is a "big" solar system by anyone's measurements (including the solar company that installed it 15 years in the business - one of the biggest systems they've ever installed) - your Taycan's 83 kWh usable battery if depleted is about 50 solar panels worth of summer peak production - or about 100 panels peak winter production…(unless you live in the tropics) - so 1 270 mile drive = 1 day's entire summer production for 50 residental grade PV solar panels.

You should refer to your powerbills where you can see your monthly break down of usage - from there you can figure average daily usage - I'd be suprised for any modern home of less than 15 kwh/day typical usage - more like 20-30 kwh/daily usage is pretty common (again not including EV charging)…more if you have multiple fridges, Air conditioning, heated floors, electric water heater, kids…

fun fact: my wife's favorite home feature- heated bath room floors on a schedule - use 18 kWh of power _DAILY_ for JUST the floors!! - 50% of my daily solar production is for the heated floor in our master bath room!!!

I have a script that shutdowns the heated floors when we're on battery power - not going to drain the batteries when we're down on power to heat the floors…

Last edited:

Teufel Hund

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan Turbo IGM
Country flag
I own:
  • EV's (since 2012)
  • Solar (since 2004)
  • Powerwalls (4x powerwalls) (since 2019)
My recommendation is to not have the batteries "charge" your EV - that's like filling up your swimming pool with Evian bottled water - the batteries are for the home, the EV is for personal transportation. Each Powerwall has 13.5 kwh of "usable" power (more like 11-12 in my experience for the past 3 years) - you Taycan has a 83 kWh battery - and it's easy to drive 20 kWh/day or more - that would be at least 2 Tesla Powerwall Batteries _JUST_ for the daily driving of the Taycan - not worth it in my opinion

if you want power on tap to "fill" your Ev - that's 8 powerwalls minimum just for the EV battery…that's a huge Powerwall system in terms of cost, capacity, space, and 240 amps worth of power as each Powerwall gets it's own 30 amp breaker.

in my area (Santa Cruz, CA) 24 320 watt solar panels produce 48 kWh/day in summer - and less than 20 kwh/day in winter in 100% perfect sunny days (less on cloudy days or weather) - the system since 2017 has averaged about 10,000-11,000 kWh/annually or an average daily output of of 30 kWh/day year round - that is about 450 kWh/panel annually.

I'll humblly suggest for 320 watt panels in California the range is 320-500 kwh/annual production for estimation purposes.

My home which has _NO_ ac, and _NO_ electrical water heater uses 20-50 kwh/day for _JUST_ the house - no EV charging is considered in that number - my home for example "idles" at about 0.8 kwh when everything is _OFF_ - and by off I mean just the fridge, wifi, cable modem, TV'S, and other "idle" appliances

0.8 kWh * 24 hours = 19.2 kWh daily usage _JUST FOR SHOWING UP_ with no actual usage (lights, TV's on, oven, stove, dryer, toaster, ceiling fans) Or about 2 powerwalls worth of power just to cover "idle" home usage.

You can estimate solar production using my numbers above * number of panels you'll install
You can estimate daily usage using my "idle" home numbes - I've had solar for over 15 years and know how much I use - I've found it very very difficult to get below 0.6 kW "idle" for the modern home - that's a minimum daily use for an idle home of 14.4 kWh for a fridge, wifi, microwave just sitting at the clock) and other idle consumers in one's home…

since the Powerwalls were installed in Feb. of 2019 in my area of santa cruz here are the "backup stats"

103 "outages" - most are 5 seconds or less
total outage time - ~3 days
latest signficant outage - 3 hours Jun 17th
longest outage - 16 hours

it is fairly easy to blow through 20 kwh (or about two powerwalls) in less than 24 hours for a typical home (again not even considering EV charging)

you can not plan on it being fully sunny to recharge the batteries the next day

the 16 hour outage brought me down from 100% battery to 30% battery before the sun came up and started charging the batteries

if your solar system produces 40-50 kwh/day - your home's idle daily usage is 50% of your total solar production - leaving the other 50% to charge the batteries

winter sucks - you will produce 50% less than summer - so good luck filling your batteries between oct-feb if you don't have a large system

more solar panels are better across the board

each Powerwall provides 30 amps of power - get at least 2 powerwalls for 60 amps worth of power - a typical home appliance is 30 amps (stove, oven, etc) - if you want to use these appliances while on "battery" power you'll need a powerwall/breaker for each appliance to stay with in load limits.

the best feature of battery systems is they keep the solar system producing during hte day to meet home demand when the grid is down - this is NOT the case for non-battery solar systems (solar shutsdown during grid outage for safety of the grid) - this ithe best and most subtle feature of Solar+batteries

you use more power than you realize

charging an EV from batteries is silly - there is at least 30% lost in that round trip (%5 power loss from panel to AC power, 5% loss from AC power to the battery, 5% loss from the battery back to AC power, 5% loss from AC power back to DC power to go into the EV battery- sooooo much loss - just don't do it).

I really really like the idea of using an EV power one's home during an outage - so far Ford offers the best story in this space as an actual finished product…we'll see.

for Reference purposes - we just completed an install of 55 380 watt panels for our HOA (to offset association usage) - 55 380 watt panels produce 120 kWh / daily - that production requires 100 amp 240V breaker - and is a "big" solar system by anyone's measurements (including the solar company that installed it 15 years in the business - one of the biggest systems they've ever installed) - your Taycan's 83 kWh usable battery if depleted is about 50 solar panels worth of summer peak production - or about 100 panels peak winter production…(unless you live in the tropics) - so 1 270 mile drive = 1 day's entire summer production for 50 residental grade PV solar panels.

You should refer to your powerbills where you can see your monthly break down of usage - from there you can figure average daily usage - I'd be suprised for any modern home of less than 15 kwh/day typical usage - more like 20-30 kwh/daily usage is pretty common (again not including EV charging)…more if you have multiple fridges, Air conditioning, heated floors, electric water heater, kids…

fun fact: my wife's favorite home feature- heated bath room floors on a schedule - use 18 kWh of power _DAILY_ for JUST the floors!! - 50% of my daily solar production is for the heated floor in our master bath room!!!

I have a script that shutdowns the heated floors when we're on battery power - not going to drain the batteries when we're down on power to heat the floors…
Thanks @daveo4EV for all the great info and details. I’m very new to the EV and solar energy game so I appreciate the background and your insights. Tesla analyzed my bills and usage and recommended the below system

9.22 kW Solar Roof
Estimated energy produced: 13,669 kWh /yr
1 Powerwall

I suppose that equates to the production of an avg of about 37kW a day. I believe that is about 110% of our estimated usage. They actually recommended 2 Powerwalls but I figured that was more of a sales pitch than being necessary. We don’t have that many outages and in the past when we have they typically are only hours not days.
I have no idea how long it will take for Tesla to get the materials and do the install but I’d guess it might be late this year or by spring of 2023….. which should also be the timeframe of getting a Taycan. ☺
Sponsored