Owning a Taycan (or any EV) without a garage. Is it possible? My experience

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I grew up in a nice family vila with a 3 car garage that was aiways empty. My parents would usually leave their cars on the driveway as it was "easier" and "convenient" then parking the cars inside the garage.

My mother, who was a bit cleaning obsessed, would regularly complain about the house. She would get into one of her middle spring, late spring or whatever spring, summer, fall cleanings and start with the garage and move her way up to the attic. Usually when she got to the attic, the garage was ready to be cleaned again. She always missed her flat. It was "convenient" to clean.

Later in my life, I married and bought a flat (I learned my mother's lesson well) that came with a community garage. Over the years I had to learn that garages weren't always great specially when thieves managed to enter them and felt secure to clean out all cars. My cars never were touched on the street.

So it comes to no surprise, when the time came to move into downtown, me and my wife decided to buy another flat and having a garage wasn't even on our list. We wanted the "convenience" of having everything at close range including kids schools, workplaces, groceries, etc. Owning an EV was, back then, not even a vague consideration.

Moving fast forward to last year, with the gas prices sky rocketing, I started to consider alternatives. EVs suddenly started to look appealing and I fell in love with the Taycan.
At this point, I admit I wouldn't ever had bought a Porsche if it wasn't an EV. I don't mind paying a large sum for something and cry once but I hate throwing money at something every single month. The monthly gas expenses of an ICE Porsche would annoy me and with the gas prices back then, plain suicidal (for me at least).

However, upon inquiring a couple of friends owning EVs, I was told to forget it if I couldn't charge it overnight. Even the first Porsche SA I talked with, when mentioning I didn't have a garage, replied to me with a big "Oh no, what a shame. The Taycan would have been a sweet car for you"...

This was pretty discouraging I admit. I spent several nights thinking that maybe I was crazy. I couldn't have an EV without a garage. I sat down, pulled all data I could about public charging prices, expected ranges, charging times, my usual routines, weekends, etc and "on paper" it looked very doable. My running costs would be still half or less of my diesel car and I probably would only need to charge once or twice a week. What were all these people saying?

Stuborn as I am, I decided to gamble and just buy my dream car. If it would work, fantastic. If it didn't, I would admit defeat and just sell it.

So, today, after exactly two months ownership and 4000km under my belt (almost twice as much as my usual mileage), I want to let everyone, in a similar situation as myself, know that

YES. IT IS POSSIBLE.

Of course it's not like charging at home, don't get fooled but it's not a big deal really. I do have 28 public chargers in close range of my home, 6 of them are 50-60kw DC while the rest is between 2.3kw (don't laugh) and 22Kw AC. There's also a couple 350kw chargers at my local Porsche dealer about 3km from my home. I mostly only use the 50kw ones. That means leaving the car charging for an hour and a half while I go shopping groceries or just sit in it and watch a movie. That's 1h30m of my life, once or twice a week (I usually charge once on Friday evening and maybe once on Sundays evening depending on what I do with the family during the weekend). It's fine. It doesn't bother me too much and it works.

Would I prefer charging at home and wake up every morning with a SoC of 85%? Hell yea... but I can't. However, given my personal circumstances, it's perfectly manageable to live of public charging and I'm lucky it's not much more expensive than charging at home.

Actually, I've been observing other EV owners around here who just plaster their contract card on the charger and go away. Some are totally clueless and are paying 3x more then what they should (I wrote a topic on public charging in Portugal). This probably explains why everyone told me it was a bad idea to not have a garage for an EV cost wise.

Bottom line, if one doesn't have a garage, it's not the end of the world. Do the math. If one saves on operational costs, the range is enough for several days, then there's nothing that should stop one from getting an EV.

Of course, my next home (regardless of flat or, God forbit, a house) will have to have a garage but until then, public charging it is!

Cheers
Sponsored

axpy

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD
Country flag
I am in a very similar situation. I am lucky that I don't drive my car every day and get by most of the time walking and biking. When I got the car, I was pressuring my landlord to install an EVSE but after living with public charging for a month, I just said to him not to bother. There is a ton of public 22kw charging around me and they are very conveniently located (and cheap). I wasn't expecting small top-up stop to be that effective but at 22kw, it's genuinely fast! Stopping at the gym, 25%, going to the park with my daughter, 25%, ...

Perhaps if I was driving more it would be slightly less convenient but my expectation is that most folks without a garage also live in a somewhat dense area and probably don't need their car everyday.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Interesting post for those wondering if ownership is possible or not without a home charger.

Which region of Portugal do you live tchavie?

I love your country. Visit very frequently (mostly Cascais) and would like to get a place there / semi-retire there.

I had read your other post about the intricacies of public charging over there. Very useful too.

Crazymind

First Name
Mattia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
My neighbours have a very large driveway and double garage. It’s one Year now they run their Tesla and they never had a charger or they have never charged it at home. After 3 Years of driving EV I think I could don’t he same and use the granny charger if there is an emergency… enough juice to get to a fast charger.
However I could never go to sleep thinking my Taycan is on the street :)

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Actually, I've been observing other EV owners around here who just plaster their contract card on the charger and go away. Some are totally clueless and are paying 3x more then what they should (I wrote a topic on public charging in Portugal). This probably explains why everyone told me it was a bad idea to not have a garage for an EV cost wise.
Nice write up. What did you mean by contract card was up to 3x more expensive? I could understand that not everyone needs to pay higher rates for fast DC or just using a credit card with out a network contract could cost more.

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
No home charger as well.

City apartment dweller, car in a basement lot w/ no charging support.

We charge at 3rd party dc chargers every 5 days or so.

Life goes on.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting post for those wondering if ownership is possible or not without a home charger.

Which region of Portugal do you live tchavie?

I love your country. Visit very frequently (mostly Cascais) and would like to get a place there / semi-retire there.

I had read your other post about the intricacies of public charging over there. Very useful too.
I live in the Algarve so most southern possible. It's indeed a great country to retire 😁 My only gripe are the massive amount of tourists. When they start arriving, I'm usually fleeing to somewhere else.

Nice write up. What did you mean by contract card was up to 3x more expensive? I could understand that not everyone needs to pay higher rates for fast DC or just using a credit card with out a network contract could cost more.
I recommend you to read this thread: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...gal-almost-everything-you-need-to-know.14997/

But as a tl;dr

In Portugal, any charger is part of the national network which must be available to any user with a contract to any energy provider. Every charger and every provider have their own prices which can and will change through the day. This means you can pay 48€ for a charge with card A and 11€ with card B at the same charger.
The trick is to have contracts will a handful of them (I currently have 12 contracts lol) and before charging, check on an app which one is currently the cheapest at that particular charger. Then swipe the card. You then get billed by end of month.

I've casually spoken with people while charging and most only have one or two cards. Some just use 1 app (which rarely is the cheapest). It certainly makes an impact in people's opinion about public charging if they have no idea and pay 48€ per charge.

And the cherry on top of the cake is that chargers here have a time fee so contrary to logic, the slower you charge, the more you'll end up paying in most scenarios. I've seen people plug in the 11w cable because "slower must be cheaper"... Well... No it isn't 😂

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I live in the Algarve so most southern possible. It's indeed a great country to retire 😁 My only gripe are the massive amount of tourists.
👋 Hello (from one of those tourist). You live in a lovely location. Thanks for the temporary usage. I hope to return someday and maybe live there for a few months out of the year during retirement.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
👋 Hello (from one of those tourist). You live in a lovely location. Thanks for the temporary usage. I hope to return someday and maybe live there for a few months out of the year during retirement.
Algarve would suit me as a winter bolt hole.
Much better than the UK weather in winter - not to mention far more daylight. 🌞

I have done the Algarve numerous times (from Tavira to Sagres) but nowadays frequent the Lisbon coast in spring and Autumn.

Algarve would make more sense for escaping the English winter.

We are thinking of getting a motor home and doing a few Atlantic coasts first (Portugal / Spain / France / Ireland). Always loved surf areas.

Sorry..... Way off topic!

Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo - 20"
Country flag
no home charger as well.
using the (free) 22kW at work: i save time and money compared to an ICE car.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
For the first two years of Taycan ownership it sat outside. I had three cars and a two car garage. One of the cars was a convertible which I didn't want to leave outside. I had two rodent infestations in the front of the Taycan. I added a sticky mouse trap to catch the visitors. Fortunately they didn't chew on the wiring ( that I know of ). I'm down to two cars now after selling the convertible.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I live in the Algarve so most southern possible. It's indeed a great country to retire 😁 My only gripe are the massive amount of tourists. When they start arriving, I'm usually fleeing to somewhere else.
@tchavei It so happens that in the last 2 weeks I've run into two different US couples that have recently visited Portugal and loved it. They are thinking about visiting Portugal regularly and staying longer or moving there.

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@tchavei It so happens that in the last 2 weeks I've run into two different US couples that have recently visited Portugal and loved it. They are thinking about visiting Portugal regularly and staying longer or moving there.
It's one of the friendliest places on earth. If I wasn't local, I'd move here too :D

OP
OP
tchavei

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Of course it’s possible… unfortunatelly, till last year, public charging became much more expencive.
Depends on locations I guess.

Here 1L of diesel is €1.49 while gasoline is €1.67

My MB 220 Cdi does 7L/100km so that's €10.43 for every 100km done. A gas car will be certainly higher (both in price and worse mileage).

I checked my invoices and, as an example, I charged 64.63 Kwh for €19.90. My average consumption, according to myporsche is 22.5kWh/100km so that is 287.24km worth of energy meaning it costs me around €6.93 for the same 100km. Yes, it could be half of that if charging at home (I think?) but still it's still almost half the price of a diesel car.
Sponsored