First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST and V70 Volvo
Country flag
Hi all,
I am posting for the first time to see if anyone has some advice for me. Advice abounds on the forum and I have learned much here since my new car delivery in February. I concur with many regarding some of the cars quirks / design features but overall nothing really takes from the car's build quality or comfort. I had no say in the build of the car and can now appreciate how lucky I was to skip the queue so to speak for delivery. It is my first EV but my second Porsche. I drove a 1979 911 SC Targa for over two years and was overwhelmed by the admiration the car got everywhere I went. It had undergone a wonderful restoration so it looked and drove to impress ! Now I have gone full circle and embraced the latest technology out of Stuttgart.
So my question is how to approach parking the car in my driveway for eight weeks ? I have purchased a cover for the car which I intend to use but wonder if there are things I should consider. Battery charge for example I suppose is the main question.
Porsche Taycan Parking my MY22 ST up for eight weeks Lady's viewx
Sponsored

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Battery charge is ideed the main question. And the 12 Volt battery at that. My dealer recommends that the car should never be unused for more than two weeks without a trickle charger on the 12 V battery. Two weeks may be on the conservative side, but problems abound when the 12 V battery goes empty.

And it is not enough to plug the car in so that the big high-voltage battery is kept charged. The algorithm the car uses to move energy from HV to 12 V does not do the job in longtime storage.

The manual also advises that the HV battery state of charge should be between 20 and 50 %, and that the ambient temperature is between 0 and 20 centigrade. Direct sunlight should be avoided too. (They give lots of advice, maybe they expect too much of us car owners.)

DMTonka

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I leave mine in a garage all winter. I leave the main battery around 50% charged and then I would recommend a trickle charger for the 12 volt. You probably don't need it for only 8 weeks, but if that battery does get too low it turns into kind of an art project to get everything back up and running again. If you do that you should not have any problems.

OP
OP
First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST and V70 Volvo
Country flag
Thanks to all for the advice. I have a few things to consider, not least trying to avoid this situation recurring in the future in as much as possible !

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
We all like to hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

I actually have a noco gbx45 booster stashed in my glove box. Fits like... A glove (pun intended) and one day, if for some reason, my 12V gets depleted, I have a chance to get the car working even if far away from home.

In the meanwhile, I already used it to help a few people in distress. Win win.

MrBlueSky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
To be honest, I read quite few posts on here which suggested varies types of options for storage. However, it seemed like for everyone that recommended something, there were others who disagreed?

I work abroad for 6-8 weeks at a time so, in terms of the 12v battery, I decided to do what I’ve always done with my cars/bikes and sourced a lithium trickle charger. For the HV battery I leave the car plugged in and use a ‘Storage’ profile that keeps it at a minimum of 55%.

A fortnight ago I returned home after 7 weeks away and the car was ready to be used and batteries in good health. I couldn’t tell you whether my routine makes a difference but, it takes away the somewhat annoying doubt you can get every time you read about 12v batteries going ‘flat’.

Oh, I also have a NOCO booster just in case I’m wrong! 😉😂

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have never used a booster.
If Taycan 12V battery is discharged/not electrically engaged:
a- 12v needs to be applied to open the frunk, and
b - 12v needs to be applied to posts in the frunk to reactivate the 12v system so the 12v battery circuit is re-energized by the car's computer.

I read user guide for NOCO gbx45 booster. Specifically how do you use/set that booster to accomplish steps a and b above. In neither case is the NOCO actually "boosting" a battery, which is what it is designed to do.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have never used a booster.
If Taycan 12V battery is discharged/not electrically engaged:
a- 12v needs to be applied to open the frunk, and
b - 12v needs to be applied to posts in the frunk to reactivate the 12v system so the 12v battery circuit is re-energized by the car's computer.

I read user guide for NOCO gbx45 booster. Specifically how do you use/set that booster to accomplish steps a and b above. In neither case is the NOCO actually "boosting" a battery, which is what it is designed to do.
Yeah. It is a booster but we don't use it as such. Just to open the frunk from the cabin (hence why the booster stored in the glove box, not the frunk 🤣) and to close that relay on the lifepo4 battery and let the car charge it up.

Unfortunately I've seen a couple of reports where a standard small 12V lead battery wasn't enough to "kick" the lifepo4 back to life (or even unlock the frunk), hence needing a booster.

I actually think there's a video of someone having to try 3 different noco boosters before managing to unlock the frunk. So it's not just "a little" 12V albeit in the end, barely any current was used up

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yeah. It is a booster but we don't use it as such. Just to open the frunk from the cabin (hence why the booster stored in the glove box, not the frunk 🤣) and to close that relay on the lifepo4 battery and let the car charge it up.
But how do you use it - set it - so you aren't using it as a booster? Just connect it and let it do its thing? Or change some setting? That is what I am asking.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But how do you use it - set it - so you aren't using it as a booster? Just connect it and let it do its thing? Or change some setting? That is what I am asking.
Oh

You just need to tap that override button because it won't detect a charge/voltage when you connect it to that pole in the footwell. That way it will send current regardless

Those boosters have a bunch of security features like not actually providing current unless voltage is detected. The button makes it go into "dumb" mode for a minute.

Remember a booster will only provide as much current as is requested by the receiver. It won't "jolt" anything

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I think one work around for the 12v issue is to unlock and then lock the car remotely every week or so. I think that resets the HV battery to top up the 12v as required. Probably more an 'oh co*k, i forgot to trickle charge my car before i got on my G' solution I guess.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think one work around for the 12v issue is to unlock and then lock the car remotely every week or so. I think that resets the HV battery to top up the 12v as required. Probably more an 'oh co*k, i forgot to trickle charge my car before i got on my G' solution I guess.
I don't think "unlocking" it with establish drive readiness. I did hear rumours that briefly activating "pre-cooling/heating" will though... it's a matter of trying I suppose.
Sponsored