Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Oh okay, sounds okay to me through the Bose, however I do understand that some may want higher quality music.
Sponsored

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Oh okay, sounds okay to me through the Bose, however I do understand that some may want higher quality music.
A nice quiet EV like the Taycan, coupled with a high end audio system like the Burmeister, is a perfect platform for this! You should be able to hear a difference with the Bose as well.

Got a CD? Try ripping its contents to a set of FLAC files (NOT MP3!) with something like dBPowerAmp. Then put them on a Thumb Drive, plug it into your console, and hear what you might have been missing!

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Here's a thread about Burmester (no "i") source audio quality: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/burmeister-audio-settings-tuning.1559/
A few notes.
  • Multiple lossless streaming services integrate with the Burmester app, such as Tidal, Qobuz, and Idagio
  • Burmester's smartphone app lets you select your model of Porsche for custom configuration, but does not yet recognize the Taycan, even though the Burmester website has a page about the Taycan
  • I read somewhere that Burmester recommends a wired connection if you're streaming from a phone, but can no longer find the reference

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here's a thread about Burmester (no "i") source audio quality: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/burmeister-audio-settings-tuning.1559/
A few notes.
  • Multiple lossless streaming services integrate with the Burmester app, such as Tidal, Qobuz, and Idagio
  • Burmester's smartphone app lets you select your model of Porsche for custom configuration, but does not yet recognize the Taycan, even though the Burmester website has a page about the Taycan
  • I read somewhere that Burmester recommends a wired connection if you're streaming from a phone, but can no longer find the reference
Thanks for the spelling correction... So many "meisters" in Germany, so few "mester's" ;-)

I saw that thread but didn't see any mention specifically about lossless audio support. I now see the Idagio info in that link but its pretty short on details. Where did you get the info? ...specifically on Tidal? I'm guessing its an app only available for the iPhone as I can't find any reference to it on Google Play... (That makes any app useless to me)

I have no doubt that a wireless connection is required for best performance. You simply can not move audio over bluetooth without a loss in quality. Additionally, there is no "audio in" support (AFAIK) in the Taycan, so its not even possible to use an external DAC for direct analog injection. All that remains is to move raw digital data over the USB connection and have it processed by the DAC in the Burmester itself. I'm guessing thats what the Burmester app does - make the digital data available via the USB port - perhaps after the first unfolding for the likes of Tidal MQA.

Do you know what DAC Burmester is using and what its max resolution is?

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
My experience: I loaded a 256GB stick with over 10,000 tracks. Result: The car can’t read and index them fast enough at startup, so (if you were listening to USB source when you turned off your car) the car will time-out indexing the stick and default to... FM Radio. Yay. Craptastic.

My advice: Load no more than about 3,000 tracks. It can handle that quickly and will continue to play from USB at startup.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My experience: I loaded a 256GB stick with over 10,000 tracks. Result: The car can’t read and index them fast enough at startup, so (if you were listening to USB source when you turned off your car) the car will time-out indexing the stick and default to... FM Radio. Yay. Craptastic.

My advice: Load no more than about 3,000 tracks. It can handle that quickly and will continue to play from USB at startup.
Thanks!

Picking up my TurboS tomorrow at 10AM. I have a couple of USB storage devices standing by (128GB, 256GB, and a 2TB) to see if there really is some limit. I should know pretty quickly. All I really "need" is 256GB (160GB actual). I'll be kinda sad if I have to split up my library...

The PCM spec says 10000 files max so maybe you hit that limit? I'm OK if it takes a "short" time to index as I don't usually start digging around in my library unless I'm on a longer drive. (SiriusXM is usually what stays queued up for quick local drives). I'll be sure to report back!

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
I just finished completely re-ripping my CD collection to Hi-Res audio (FLAC).
AFAIK: The only way to get HiRes music into the PCM is via lossless audio files (i.e. FLAC) directly from a USB storage device.
You keep on using that word, "hi-res," I do not think it means what you think it means.
But in case you really do care about hi-res (> 16-bit 44.1/48 kHz), my understanding is that even Burmester doesn't support it in Porsches.

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
You keep on using that word, "hi-res," I do not think it means what you think it means.
But in case you really do care about hi-res (> 16-bit 44.1/48 kHz), my understanding is that even Burmester doesn't support it in Porsches.
I’m not sure about the Burmester capability, I believe it is the digital to analog processor which I think would be the same regardless of which speaker system...?

On your point about hi-res,and why I agree that ripping CDs doesn’t get you hi-res, just higher quality than what you’d get on MP3 or the majority of streaming. Here is a good clarification:

High-Resolution Audio’s bitrate (9,216 kbps) is nearly seven times higher than that of CDs (1,411 kbps) and almost 29 times higher than that of MP3s (320 kbps)

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
I’m not sure about the Burmester capability, I believe it is the digital to analog processor which I think would be the same regardless of which speaker system...?
Burmester is more than a speaker upgrade. Amplifiers are obviously different since they have different power ratings. The processors at least have different software since they have different DSP modes. It’s unknown whether they use different DACs but they certainly could’ve.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here’s a tiny USB stick that works well.
The 32GB stick is enough for just mp3 files.

High bitrate files might need more. This is available in 128GB size as well.

My suggestion, don’t load more that 3000 files or indexing takes too long.

Kingston Digital 32GB Data... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010HWCEHM

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

When I've seen the formal definition of HiRes, it has specifically indicated CD quality/resolution and higher... There are several HiRes formats (inc MQA) and some of them hold more resolution than others. It was always my understanding that HiRES BEGINS at CD Quality and goes up from there...

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-resolution_audio

"High-resolution audio is generally used to refer to music files that have a higher sampling frequency and/or bit depth than that of Compact Disc Digital Audio (CD-DA), which operates at 44.1 kHz/16-bit."

So I guess CD Quality is just at the threshold...

Regardless of how you define HiRes, I would like to be able to play my music at the full resolution that was offered on my CD's and not be hampered by the the limitations of MP3 or Bluetooth compression...

I was also under the assumption that the Burmester system was more than just "better speakers". They certainly call out a difference in amplification as well. If so, I would expect the amplifier to include a high-end DAC. I sent a message to Burmester a couple of days ago asking about the DAC in the Taycan and they have yet to answer my query...

Last edited:
OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here’s a tiny USB stick that works well.
The 32GB stick is enough for just mp3 files.

High bitrate files might need more. This is available in 128GB size as well.

My suggestion, don’t load more that 3000 files or indexing takes too long.

Kingston Digital 32GB Data... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010HWCEHM
I'm not sure it would be the actual size of the files or storage device which is the critical factor in indexing speed. I have a hunch the PCM runs through the directory listing quite quickly (file names and folders) and what really takes time is opening each and every file to read the metadata (artist, track, date, artwork, etc). IOW: I bet it doesn't make any difference what the file format is (MP3 or FLAC) but rather the total number of files the PCM has to open and read before it can index them.

My BMW i8 doesn't have any issue indexing my entire 7500 files. Not sure why the Porsche system is timing out and reverting to FM if you have been playing a USB file when you shut down. Seems it would be a simple matter just to note which file was being played and then re-index (or simply confirm the file system hasn't changed) while that song continues playing.

Here are the devices I am using. They are very small, cheap ($40), lots of storage (256GB), come in multiple sizes and have both USB-C (for playing in the car) and USB-A (for managing in the computer) connectors:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YYJL21Z

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@louv , what filesystem are you using on your USB devices? exFAT, FAT32, NTFS? Probably not a big deal but might be a factor in indexing speed...

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@louv , what filesystem are you using on your USB devices? exFAT, FAT32, NTFS? Probably not a big deal but might be a factor in indexing speed...
exFAT. But FAT32 will also work. I don’t know about NTFS because I never tried.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
exFAT. But FAT32 will also work. I don’t know about NTFS because I never tried.
I smell an Apple user! ;-)

Normally, I would use FAT32 but its getting harder and harder to format FAT32 with a Windows PC. The Windows GUI doesn't offer this option anymore, and even the cmdline (FORMAT) won't allow FAT32 formatting beyond an artificial size limit they have set. Ghost GDISK will do it but at some point I just need to move on...

So, I'll be using NTFS in my Taycan experiments.

(If anyone is interested, the complete list of supported filesystems and file formats is listed in the screen shot I posted at the beginning of this thread)
Sponsored