ketjupiter

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s, 2021 Mini Cooper S, 2019 Raptor
Country flag
Hi fellow Taycan owners. For the last 4 days, every time I use my car, it is stuck in guest mode. I can see my main user name on the screen but can't access it. I have tried downloading the new App as well as deleting it, as well as deleting and reinstalling the old Porsche Connect Ap. Neither seem to do the trick to get me to my main user name. (I must say that I find both apps poorly designed and mostly useless for me, considering a 6 figure car). This is what shows up everyItime i enter the car for 4 days now.

Porsche Taycan PCM stuck in Guest Mode Taycan Guest
Sponsored

swhsv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi fellow Taycan owners. For the last 4 days, every time I use my car, it is stuck in guest mode. I can see my main user name on the screen but can't access it. I have tried downloading the new App as well as deleting it, as well as deleting and reinstalling the old Porsche Connect Ap. Neither seem to do the trick to get me to my main user name. (I must say that I find both apps poorly designed and mostly useless for me, considering a 6 figure car). This is what shows up everyItime i enter the car for 4 days now.

Taycan Guest.jpg
This was happening to me this past Saturday (Jan. 15) as well. Not sure why. (Maybe the car was having trouble reaching the Porsche Connect servers or there was some other situation?) The one thing I did try was rebooting the PCM system and leaving the car alone for the rest of the day. On Sunday it was fine. Sorry that I can’t give any more definitive info…

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Taycan Guest.jpg
The app is not associated with this issue so best to keep it separate. You're correct though, the app (and the new one - My Porsche) are shockingly cr@p and unreliable.

Things to check to try to address the Guest Mode issue:

1. Check the cell connection where your car is parked - it needs to be good to strong otherwise no dice. If underground no dice either and when you surface it could take some minutes for the LTE module to register and then process pending requests such as Porsche Connect ID logins.

2. If you have 2 key fobs (some people didn't get two due to the shortages) and have the second key registered to a secondary user / Porsche Connect ID then try using this key. I've had this work successfully as it forces the logout of the primary account and retries using new credentials. Sounds odd I know but it does / can work in certain situations.

3. Go nuclear. Reset the PCM (not a soft reset) but a) Disconnect 12V battery for no more than 5 mins and reconnect, or b) Navigate to the PCM reset in settings and remove all trace of your account and settings. Re-start the login process with your Porsche Connect ID. Many settings will be restored but not all.

OP
OP

ketjupiter

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, 1 week and counting and car still stuck in private mode. i have tried both keys, tried deleting and reinstalling both connect and my Porsche apps, rebooting the pcm, and still stuck in private. Both apps still show my car, where I had it parked a week ago.

looks like a trip to Porsche dealer is on my schedule for tomorrow, to see if they can figure out a work around.

Hami

First Name
Hamid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I've been in the non remote access state since December (I posted under a separate cover). Dealer can't figure it out. Apparently this is at the Porsche server level, when they get that sorted we'll all be able to access. I was at the dealership with the sales person who as a last resort reset to factory settings, still didn't work. Now I am only able to connect via Guest. He has a follow up with the porsche rep for a resolution...if any?!..pending since Monday no response.

The app indicates remote access authorization is required to be able to use vehicle related services. Grant remote access authorization in the PCM depending on your vehicle. Enter you pairing code...which is not relevant in our case but needed for other P cars.
Please do post when anyone figures it out! Those that have intermittent connect issue and have resolution in a short timeframe 24-48hrs I don't believe are in the same situation as those of us who are in to several days....weeks, who have not been able to access.

A side bar question, are we as Porsche drivers more tolerant? Can you imagine if this was a local brand experiencing this issue. I've had 911s for years and they were bullet proof no exceptions, the Taycan's driving experience is on another level hence I guess my reason for tolerance here as the remote access is a nice to have (for me) but a little embarrassing that they can't get it fixed in short order. If I was routinely traveling long distances then this situation would be substantially more of a concern.

Hami

First Name
Hamid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Did anyone get their remote access to work again. After 10 days of waiting to hear back from Porsche, my dealer sent me a text that Porsche is seeing my car in privacy mode and I should deactivate that. “Unbelievable”! It becomes active in guest mode every time you switch your car off and on!! It has nothing to do with logging on to Porsche connect services in the PCM. I think when you ca ll Porsche NA you essentially speak to a non-expert call center person who just relays info. At this rate I have to buy a new car to get the remote access to work!!
Anyone figures this out before the end of the year please do post!
cheers.

OP
OP

ketjupiter

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did anyone get their remote access to work again. After 10 days of waiting to hear back from Porsche, my dealer sent me a text that Porsche is seeing my car in privacy mode and I should deactivate that. “Unbelievable”! It becomes active in guest mode every time you switch your car off and on!! It has nothing to do with logging on to Porsche connect services in the PCM. I think when you ca ll Porsche NA you essentially speak to a non-expert call center person who just relays info. At this rate I have to buy a new car to get the remote access to work!!
Anyone figures this out before the end of the year please do post!
cheers.
Hi Hami - I spent 2 hours at local Porsche dealer on friday afternoon. they ended up reprogramming the whole PCM, to bring it back to original, and i would have to reprogram my account. somehow myporsche account got deleted so i had to reset it up again, and go figure its a 2 business day turn around to get it approved. even after, i still have no idea if it will work or not.

Every time i get into the car, i have to select language, and ignore.

I too am like you, that although i love the car, i dont feel like dealing with a tech issue every single time i get into the car. i would rather just sell it and get something more tech reliable.

Hami

First Name
Hamid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I am sorry you are going through this too! Honestly as a car company they are outstanding. I wish I never had any of the tech features of the car then I wouldn't expect it to work! I have had a number of 911s and they have all been bulletproof. Honestly the car is incredible from a driver's perspective. My wife has a Tesla and the tech on that car is ridiculously reliable and they keep adding to it every month or so over the air updates...which irritates the hell out of me as Porsche can't see to even get the most basic things right from a technology perspective!! I hope it doesn't come to selling the car!

OP
OP

ketjupiter

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My Porsche e mailed me back today to say my account was set up, after being deleted, and to go ahead and link up Porsche connect. Well, go figure, now porsche connect can find the car but cant complete the set up as it says that remote access has been deactivated. And both the app and car say it is in private mode. so App is now even more useless than it was before. I am going to contact my dealer now and see what they recommend.

Although it's a small inconvenience, it is annoying enough for me to sell the car if they cant fix it.

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
My Porsche e mailed me back today to say my account was set up, after being deleted, and to go ahead and link up Porsche connect. Well, go figure, now porsche connect can find the car but cant complete the set up as it says that remote access has been deactivated. And both the app and car say it is in private mode. so App is now even more useless than it was before. I am going to contact my dealer now and see what they recommend.

Although it's a small inconvenience, it is annoying enough for me to sell the car if they cant fix it.
The same thing happened to me. After 15 days of me working with tech support at Porsche Connect, the shop foreman at the dealership reached out to his "go-to" guy at Porsche Tech Support (not Porsche Connect). His "go-to" guy reset something at his end and my Porsche ID returned to my car. I wish I knew what he reset...

Hami

First Name
Hamid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Just stopped by dealer for a reset via the internal interface using the Porsche laptop! Still didn’t work!
Booked in for Monday service to replace the SIM/PCM connector to see if that works

Hami

First Name
Hamid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
SRQ, if you would please ask if you get the chance, what was reset that would be very much appreciated. At the moment my situation seems to have everyone stumped!

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
SRQ, if you would please ask if you get the chance, what was reset that would be very much appreciated. At the moment my situation seems to have everyone stumped!
Will do…

Mr.Veloz

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Dealer
Country flag
Hi @Hami , I hate to say it but I’ve seen your scenario happen before and they replaced the entire PCM . If your SOS light is red they have to reset that module and that could be a step to fixing your logging issues . What’s your technician did is something called a handover , which is one of the steps taken to diagnose the car . I tell costumers all the time that the taycan is heavily tech based , when is acts up just like your phone resetting it Fixes a majority of problems . Please keep me posted what your dealer tells you . As of now I’ve seen your scenario happen before and we replaced the entire pcm.
@Hami

SRQ661

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I checked with the tech guy at the dealer. I'm told that the shop foreman called someone high up in the food chain at PCNA - someone he's not supposed to call before exhausting all other remedies. So I won't be able to provide you or your dealer with a name to call. But I've asked them if they remember what was reset to make my car communicate with the Porsche server. Not hopeful that they know, but stay tuned...
Sponsored