Plug and Charge not working. Have to start it using app. Any tips on troubleshooting that?

websterama

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S on order
Country flag
Pretty much what it says in the subject.
Got my 2021 4S a couple weeks ago.

Tried 2 different EA chargers near my house over the last couple of weeks, just to see if it worked.

No joy on plug and charge. Got on the phone with EA and they said it looked like it should be working on their end.

I confirmed that p&c was enabled in the PMC.
I confirmed in My Porsche that the Porsche Charging service is set up and enabled, and has a credit card associated, etc...

It does the "connecting to vehicle", then the "processing payment" comes up and it just fails.

If I go into My Porsche app, I can find the EA station on the map, tap on it, I can then start the charging session.

Any thoughts? Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP

websterama

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S on order
Country flag
Replying to my own thread here as I just had a text chat with Porsche NA.
They are telling me that you have to look in the My Porsche app to see which Electrify America stations actually support Plug and Charge, and when I filtered for that, there were no chargers that I could see within 4 states of where I live (Connecticut). Including the brand new 350 KW one just installed 10 minutes away from my house.

Is that true? And has this already been well known? Sorry if I missed it.
I somehow thought that all new EA stations supported Plug & Charge?

caslca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TTS
Country flag
I didn't know there is such an option in the app. I tried it and it eliminated chargers where I have had successful p&c.

I'd guess they haven't actually tested this feature...

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
... which Electrify America stations actually support Plug and Charge, and when I filtered for that, there were no chargers ...
How do you know in the My Porsche app if a EA charger supports Plug and Charge? I'm looking at the app now, in 'Map' -> 'Chargers', and can't see anything which indicates P&C. When I click on a station, I see 'Charging', 'Info' and 'Support'. Nothing indicates P&C or not.

Edit: Never mind. I found it. I needed to click the little antenna icon to filter.
Edit edit: I also see NO P&C stations listed, though I have used the nearest EA charger and simply plugged in and charged.

TayTaySD

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mamba Green Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have found it is hit and miss whether P&C will work, or if the EA charger will work with ANY method.
EA seems to have very fragile software/hardware. I've had P&C work, but have also had to use the myporsche app in conjunction. Other times I would not get it to work even while talking to EA
customer service ;-(

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Do you have the 19.2kw charger? There is a known issue with the charger and plug and charge on the 2021s, but there is a fix out there from Porsche.

OP
OP

websterama

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S on order
Country flag
Do you have the 19.2kw charger? There is a known issue with the charger and plug and charge on the 2021s, but there is a fix out there from Porsche.
No I skipped the 19.2kw option because I was aware of the issue from these forums.

Little did I know I’d end up with the same issue anyway lol.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@websterama You mentioned that you contacted EA. Did EA give you any indication that some of their charging stations are configured to work with plug n charge and some are not? I understand that not all EA stations work all the time, but hopefully EA would know if some are not capable of plug n charge at all.

Njsimons13

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (on order), Taycan 4s, Q8, SQ5
Country flag
Plug & Charge is really a hit and miss. The charger closest to me one day it will work with P&C then the other I have to use the app.

OP
OP

websterama

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S on order
Country flag
@websterama You mentioned that you contacted EA. Did EA give you any indication that some of their charging stations are configured to work with plug n charge and some are not? I understand that not all EA stations work all the time, but hopefully EA would know if some are not capable of plug n charge at all.
I contacted them during my first attempt, and they said it looked like everything should be working on their end. The rebooted the station and had me move stalls. But it didn't work. I was about to just give up but then I remembered reading that you could activate from within the app and sure enough that made it work. And no, they never mentioned anything about some of their stations being P&C enabled while others were not.

The first person to suggest that to me was a Porsche rep on their text support account. To be honest, I think the Porsche rep is misinformed and was just going basing that POV on a half-implemented feature in the app. Because as others have confirmed, when you filter EA locations in the Porsche App for "P&C", they all disappear. Which makes no sense given lots of folks have successfully had P&C experiences on them (including Mach-E owners). I contacted the EA twitter account to see if they would clarify this for me and they said they'd call me today.

I'm thinking of driving to the nearest EA station and giving this all another go today, possibly signing out, signing back in to my Porsche account and playing with some settings to see if I can make it work. Probably a waste of an afternoon, but I really would like to get this sorted for when my wife is out there. She's not going to have the patience for this app activation thing after having gotten used to the way her Tesla works.

DACSarasota

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
No joy on plug and charge. Got on the phone with EA and they said it looked like it should be working on their end.

I confirmed that p&c was enabled in the PMC.
I confirmed in My Porsche that the Porsche Charging service is set up and enabled, and has a credit card associated, etc...

It does the "connecting to vehicle", then the "processing payment" comes up and it just fails.
I had the same experience with my new '22 RWD. Live in Sarasota, Florida and stopped by closest EA in Ellenton just to test it out last week. They had two chargers there working (other two were dead). They rebooted both and neither worked with P&C. They were about to walk me through connecting with app but I had to run.

So I called back yesterday and they told me that it is likely nothing to do with my car or account but some chargers have issues with P&C. So they told me to use My Porsche app. Customer service very friendly and easy to get a hold of. Seems they realize their system needs improvement.

Good tip on checking if charger is P&C. I just tried and the nearest one is 100 miles away in Naples. It is listed as a 11KW Porsche Destination Charger.

Strange that the Ft. Myers one is not showing anymore.

OP
OP

websterama

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S on order
Country flag
So just in the interest of giving more findings for anyone else following this.
Yesterday I visited 2 different EA stations in my area.

First time was one I'd been to before, and I went simply so I could get on the phone with an EA rep during the session to see what they could see on their end.
Very helpful person indicated that everything looked good on their end for the charger in question, and yes, as we've speculated, all EA chargers are meant to have P&C active, so the Porsche App filtering is in error.

But still, no joy. Tried a couple of times, but ended up having to activate manually via app.
She indicated that the error condition I was seeing (pops up after seeing "processing payment") indicates the car is configured correctly to attempt P&C but something is failing between Porsche and EA. So she suggested I contact Porsche.

I drove home and got on the phone with Porsche help line, and while the rep seemed pretty knowledgeable on the subject, indicated they couldn't open a ticket without a photo of the error screen. My description of the error code was not enough. She did look into my account and checked to see that everything was in order (ID linked to charging service, service active, card on file for overages, etc).

So I headed back out to try again, this time ready to document the error with my phone. Went to a different station this time, because why not?

And wouldn't you know it, standing there with my phone in hand, recording, I plugged it in and it worked perfectly. On the first try. Went right from "processing payment" to "authorized" to "initiating charging".

So either:
  1. Something the Porsche rep did when verifying my account changed something
  2. This station was configured correctly but the previous two were not
  3. It's totally random and there's no explanation
I'd like to think 1, but I'm betting it might be 2 and I'm worried it could be 3 lol

Anyway, that's my story.
One last odd tidbit is that while all previous charging sessions (that I initiated through the app) show up in my "charging history" on my.porsche.com and in the app, this one did not. Even though I went 2 minutes over the 30 minute mark and theoretically incurred a .28 cent charge.

Which, now that I'm writing it, makes me wonder if there isn't a 4th explanation, which is that this charger was set to "free mode" for some reason and therefore none of the above matter.

NoRPM22

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Volcano Grey
Country flag
In my attempt it worked fine. But I did notice that the on screen messages on the charger are misleading. It seems like it ended the session but then it starts charging. Try plugging it in and not touch it for few mins and see if goes anywhere. It's not a very far interface yet.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Again this may be entirely geographical for some reason but I have used 4 EA stations in the greater Houston area to date (since Dec 21, 2021 so an albeit limited experience) and 100% success with PnC every time - 150kW and 350kW chargers, all worked seamlessly. Def curious to see diff. areas or networks appear to have very inconsistent results especially when I consider longer distance travel plans to the NE.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
So they told me to use My Porsche app.
... but ended up having to activate manually via app.
Which app do you use to manually enable a 'free' Porsche 30 minute charging session? So far I haven't had a problem with the one station I use nearest my house but I want to be prepared,
Sponsored