First Name
Jean-Are
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S (2020 mod.)
Country flag
Still works without the connect subsription.👍

To me, the most annoying missing feature is not being able to see current SoC and if/how fast currently charging in the app and you cannot start/stop charging remotely without the subscription.
I have now lost the pre-cool / heat in the app as well.
Its only charging stations left in the app.

This is bad from Porsche
Sponsored

JohnnyCage

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Country flag
I did not realise it would be different in other countries. I am in the Netherlands.

You just press this button in the picture below and then the menu of the second picture appears. If you don’t get this without the subscription it is indeed quite bad..

Porsche Taycan Porsche Connect IMG_4013

Porsche Taycan Porsche Connect IMG_4014

Also not being able to see the SoC and current charging is poor imho.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Since I imagine what you are paying for is the car SIM card and its 4G or 5G subscription so it surely should come as no surprise that if you stop paying the subscription you will lose the connection to the car that allows the ‘net connection and everything that goes with it.
It is a bit expensive though.

JohnnyCage

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Country flag
Since I imagine what you are paying for is the car SIM card and its 4G or 5G subscription so it surely should come as no surprise that if you stop paying the subscription you will lose the connection to the car that allows the ‘net connection and everything that goes with it.
It is a bit expensive though.
Maybe that explains it, yet (in NL) I still have the pre-heat/cool feature above without the connect subscription.
Or should I not mention as Porsche may be reading here as well😉

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Maybe that explains it, yet (in NL) I still have the pre-heat/cool feature above without the connect subscription.
Or should I not mention as Porsche may be reading here as well😉
I was making a general point since mobile phone systems and signal coverage vary in different regions and countries, but it does seem odd that any function which requires connection to the car could possibly work if the connection to the car no longer is being paid for.
There is no wifi connectivity so no connection must surely = no access to any data or control of the car.
Surely?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I was making a general point since mobile phone systems and signal coverage vary in different regions and countries, but it does seem odd that any function which requires connection to the car could possibly work if the connection to the car no longer is being paid for.
There is no wifi connectivity so no connection must surely = no access to any data or control of the car.
Surely?
I think you are correct that you pay for the SIM related Porsche Connect, ie Internet radio, SoC, etc etc.

But There is more than one connection in the car, because the likes of the SOS button, I think still works without the rest of the connectivity? At least that happened a lot in the beginning when other communications were lost due to HW failures? Perhaps the preheat bypasses the infotainment connection as well?

bj33813

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I will ask again, if you have the EMEI for your vehicle, why can't you just add a second line to your cell phone provider using that EMEI for the car? It will surely be less than Porsches fee.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I will ask again, if you have the EMEI for your vehicle, why can't you just add a second line to your cell phone provider using that EMEI for the car? It will surely be less than Porsches fee.
It's unlikely that is how Connect works; in fact, it's extremely likely that the car <-> Porsche connectivity remains functional past the expiration of the Connect subscription.

There are 2 possible ways this functionality is implemented:
- user/app is authorized on 'download'/executing an operation in the app - check charge, set timer preheat, unlock etc. (most likely)
- car is authorized on 'upload' - the car is authorized to connect to the cloud/Porsche backend services, but each of the various functions (charge, timer, location etc.) is individually authorized based on a car+function certificate. That is, either the backend queries the car (or not) for any of {charge, location, timers etc.} based on the 'active' status of that respective function (more likely), or the car itself is posting updates, and some of these are not accepted.

There were quite a few older threads on this topic; some of the early owners who went through this renewal at the beginning of the year indicated that most of the functionality in the portal (trips + consumption, location etc.) remained active after their Connect subscription had expired.
Sponsored