First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover - Defender - Taycan Turbo arriving soon
Country flag
Can anyone help
Could they explain how I am to connect the last part up circled in the image.
Porsche Taycan Porsche Connect 99B13F40-0336-4945-90A9-D13C2DEF9ECE
Sponsored

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Can anyone help
Could they explain how I am to connect the last part up circled in the image.
99B13F40-0336-4945-90A9-D13C2DEF9ECE.jpeg
Maybe the attached page 21 from the Porsche Connect Good to Know Manual can give you a starting point to track the problem.
Continues on page 22 not attached.
Hope this helps.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Connect 553CD06F-2D54-4B3E-AB64-C3D8723ED892

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
You only get this, when your phone is hooked up to your car WiFi hotspot.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Connect 1612087037288

And this only works, if you have the connect service for your car WiFi hotspot enabled and have paid a mobile telecom provider, so that the car can connect. Otherwise your phone won't have an internet connection.

The diagram basically gives your phone app 2 ways of connecting to the car. One is via Porsche server and the other via built in WiFi hotspot in the car.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
@feye is right plus you don't need to complete the circle in all instances for the services to work. As long as you have one path to the vehicle then you're good. It may be that calendar appointments (and similar) held in your phone may only sync when connected via the vehicle's hot spot (rather than via Bluetooth) but I'm not 100% certain of that as its functionality I don't need / use.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
You only get this, when your phone is hooked up to your car WiFi hotspot.

1612087037288.png

And this only works, if you have the connect service for your car WiFi hotspot enabled and have paid a mobile telecom provider, so that the car can connect. Otherwise your phone won't have an internet connection.

The diagram basically gives your phone app 2 ways of connecting to the car. One is via Porsche server and the other via built in WiFi hotspot in the car.
Not sure what you mean here.

The cars WiFi connection must be enabled yes! But you do not need any subscription for the the cars WiFi connection to the internet. That is only needed if you want to have a hotspot in the car.

You are correct that the phone will need a data subscription for reaching the internet, but that is surely standard nowadays.

If you connect the phone to the WiFi in the car it will signal that it does not have any internet connection that way and will use 4 G etc as a normal phone. That way as you say you can reach the PCM two ways, through the internet on the phone, but also through the cars WiFi. That way you get calendar synchronisations with iPhone .

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Not sure what you mean here.

The cars WiFi connection must be enabled yes! But you do not need any subscription for the the cars WiFi connection to the internet. That is only needed if you want to have a hotspot in the car.

You are correct that the phone will need a data subscription for reaching the internet, but that is surely standard nowadays.

If you connect the phone to the WiFi in the car it will signal that it does not have any internet connection that way and will use 4 G etc as a normal phone. That way as you say you can reach the PCM two ways, through the internet on the phone, but also through the cars WiFi. That way you get calendar synchronisations with iPhone .
In UK you can add a monthly 7Gb data service as one of the Porsche Connect service subscriptions but likely most people don't do this and would only be needed if full internet capability via the Taycan's onboard hotspot were required for other mobile devices used when travelling in the car which don't have their own cellular connection with data service.

Of course, activating the hotspot on a phone and sharing to other devices (non-Taycan devices) would achieve the same result at little or no additional cost.

Connecting to the on-board PCM hotspot is basically a peered network connection but access to the internet is then limited and to my mind serves little or no purpose.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
In the US there is currently no option for a paid WiFi hotspot in the car, and I doubt anyone would use it even if there were since it would likely be more expensive than just using your phone as a hotspot. Since sometime last fall, iOS has a networking improvement - you can give certain apps permission to access local networks (which is what you get from the Taycan's hotspot and what is needed to connect that lower right segment). I'm not sure if it was this way before this change or not, but it is definitely possible to have Wifi connected to the Taycan's hotspot AND still have internet access. As W1NGE points out, the only value I have seen from this is syncing your phone calendar with the in-car calendar app, which is not even necessary if you can get the Exchange calendar to work (if you use Exchange and you or your SysAdmin provides the necessary permission).

For the Connect app to work, as W1NGE said you only need the other three segments to be green.
Sponsored