Porsche indicates warranty concerns if 3rd party charger used

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Depends on use the case. I knew what I was buying and why I was buying it. I use it to charge quicker mid-day at home when we’re running around a bunch.

It also just feels good to see the car charging faster.

Another benefit I’ve found is, if I‘m heading out to work and see it’s low and my wife forgot to plug it in, I can plug it in for her and it’ll be charged by the time she leaves to take the kid to school.
This, and also:
  • Fast charging now, and future-proofing charge time on future higher battery capacity EVs.
  • With faster charging, ability to use a single 19.2kW EVSE to charge two EVs subject to different usage patterns (acknowledging the possibility of 2 EVSEs with load sharing - which you could also argue is overkill).

“640K ought to be enough for anybody”.
Sponsored

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I made my Porsche salesman aware that I was looking at a third party charger. His response:

“ I understand there is 3rd party charger options but we don’t really recommend that: as if the 3rd party charger cause any damage to the battery or powertrain of your Taycan, it might not covered Porsche warranty. “

I’ve searched this forum for discussion related to the above. I also see many people on the forum are using third party chargers. Any comments?
In the US, Canada and Europe, we all use this 3rd party charger called Electrify <Country>; Porsche even gave it to us to use 3 years free!

This is such a bogus statement. Ask them to show the service bulletin where Porsche is brave enough to put that in writing. In the US we are protected against bogus statements like that with Magnusson Moss Warranty Act.

Tesla converted their warranty to a service agreement to try and embed this kind of predatory language. Hold your ground - its not a good look for those repping the brand.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
100% false on the dealer's claims. Just thought I'd +1 and join the chorus.

I'm also in the very small minority that has 19.2kW charging and EVSEs in my garage to support it. My use case is being able to charge 3 EVs within a 4-hour TOU window. It took several years but I have recouped my installation costs.
Sponsored