Porsche indicates warranty concerns if 3rd party charger used

sderkach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I made my Porsche salesman aware that I was looking at a third party charger. His response:

“ I understand there is 3rd party charger options but we don’t really recommend that: as if the 3rd party charger cause any damage to the battery or powertrain of your Taycan, it might not covered Porsche warranty. “

I’ve searched this forum for discussion related to the above. I also see many people on the forum are using third party chargers. Any comments?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
ummm - so you can never use public charging? I’m not sure that is even remotely possible…sounds like dealer BS to me…and “chargers” are not “chargers“ - they just respond to commands from the car (Porsche software) to allow “raw” AC power to flow or not flow

dealer doesn’t know squat and this would not hold up - that means Porsche wouldn’t honor warranty for: charge point, evgo, electrify america, sema connect, or any other EV charger you ever encounter - including the non-Porsche chargers found at most Porsche dealers - like the non-Porsche fastDC charger used prior to delivery of every Taycan delivered from a major dealer in silly-con valley…

pure dealer BS and an extreme demonstration of why dealers are pointless and will go away - cause they are stupid.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
My dealer actually told me the same thing. But it’s nonsense.

So, first, they were telling me that the 40A PMCC was a required purchase if I got the 19.2W (80A) AC charger. I told them that made no sense to require a 40A EVSE option to be added with the 80A charger.

Then they said there would be an 80A EVSE at some point in the future from Porsche (it’s finally out now) and that I should just wait for it. Because a third party charger could cause warranty issues.

I told them that doesn’t make any sense either. Why are they offering 3-years free charging at EA then? Or how is public charging supposed to work in general? They agreed it didn’t make sense and backed off of that idea.

Further, it’s the car that’s in charge of the current. The EVSE is basically closing a contactor and providing voltage. There’s really nothing the EVSE can do on it’s own to hurt the car.

I wouldn’t worry at all about getting a 3rd Party EVSE.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if the 3rd party charger cause any damage to the battery or powertrain of your Taycan
Sorry, but this just cracks me up the more I think about it.

Ask them “how” exactly the EVSE could damage the battery or powertrain. Maybe if you throw the EVSE at the car? ?‍♂ I’d love to hear their response.

Don’t throw the EVSE at the car and you’ll be fine.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is hysterical, chalk it up to the stupid shit dealerships say.

You're fine, use whatever charger you want. Your warranty is solid.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
I made my Porsche salesman aware that I was looking at a third party charger. His response:

“ I understand there is 3rd party charger options but we don’t really recommend that: as if the 3rd party charger cause any damage to the battery or powertrain of your Taycan, it might not covered Porsche warranty. “

I’ve searched this forum for discussion related to the above. I also see many people on the forum are using third party chargers. Any comments?
just another typical clueless car salesman dispensing poor info

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
Yep, this is nonsense. If that would be true, you shouldn't charge on any public AC chargers too.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Yep - total hogwash.

Public charging (as mentioned) is for all!

Your dealer clearly doesn’t know that the equipment used to supply and control the electrical flow to the car is NOT a ‘charger’ (e.g. PMCC, PMC+, all other non-Porsche branded units) - better known as Electrical Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE). The charger(s) (AC / DC) are built into the car and the car controls the charging process. The EVSE (wall box, public charging point etc) merely provides a stable, safe and reliable flow of electricity.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The EVSE (wall box, public charging point etc) merely provides a stable, safe and reliable flow of electricity.
Even that is too much credit as it doesn’t affect stability or reliability. It’s mostly passive in the process. It’s really just a safety device to prevent the cable from being energized when not in use as well as inform the car of the maximum current capacity.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
This is as non sensical as the "hidden 15% charge" thread a few days ago. Someone should catalog all the disinformation coming from dealers and start a dealer rating system like the Pinocchio system.
does anyone actually put any sort of value onto a car salesmans expertise?
only if the salesman owns the car that he is selling would I give any sort of credence to their utterings. next on the list would be real estate salespeople or lawyers

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
My dealer told me I should use only premium electrons or it could void the warranty. Was that all BS?
premium electrons are those from renewable energy sources

electrons generated from: Coal, Oil, Gasoline, Natural Gas will destroy the battery and is what causes “electrical” faults - it’s a bid by the Hydrocarbon industry to undermine the EV experience by causing EV owners more problems thereby undermining confidence in the EV drive trains and drive them back to hydrocarbons

make sure to _ONLY_ charge your Taycan from renewable energy sources to prevent “tainted” electrons from damaging your battery and stealing your women…if necessary use an exercise bike to charge your Taycan if a renewable energy source can not be found.

Last edited:

Spd_Tkt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 4S, 20 Jeep JLUR, 14 991.1 C2S-MT, 13 BMW K16GT
Country flag
This reminds me of cases where Porsche Dealers are claiming suspension and powertrain issues will not be covered if we used tires that are not rated "NO1."