First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Taycan RWD in Frozen Blue Metallic
Country flag
Hi All,

Just got my Taycan RWD over the weekend! Am trying to charge the car but found some issues.

When plug the mobile charger plus to a normal household 110v outlet, it works and it can charge the car, but it is super slow at only 0.6kw (takes ~2 hours to add 1%), making it almost useless in my use case.

I checked the mobile charger plus, it shows the 50% icon, which indicatedthat the charger is limiting the current to 50% (100% is drawing 15A and using 12A to charge, so 50% will roughly translate to 6A of current draws). 110V * 6A which adds up roughly to that 0.6kW number I am seeing.

So I tried to remove the 50% current limit, but when I switch the charger to 100% current mode. It bugged out. The charging port shows red light, and the charger also shows consistent red light on these three bottons - "Charge Status", "House Connection", "vehicle".

I checked the user manual and found out what the light indicator means, it means "Missing/interrupted ground wire". Which is confusing, as the 50% current charges flawlessly(just painfully slow). Why would it say there is a grounding issue at 100% current/amps?

Another related question I have is: the manual says depends on where I live, I can try "Deactivating Ground Monitoring". I haven't done it because I am afraid it could cause safety issues (if the ground wire actually has issues then it will be dangerous). Anyone has experience with "Deactivating Ground Monitoring"?

Any help/suggestions will be very much appreciated!

Note 1, I am still talking to my electrician for installing NEMA 14-50 plugs in the house, that has its own hassles since the wiring of the house is so strange and I only have a 100A main breaker, so that installation will take time(and a lot of cash!). In the meanwhile I have to rely on charging at home at 110V for my day to day uses, so would like to get 1.2kw working with the mobile charger plus.

Note 2, I checked the recepticles, it is not tripping, and I checked the main panel, nothing is tripping either.
Sponsored

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Your Sparky should be able to advise but sounds like you have an earthing issue which is limiting what you can do as a safety measure.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Another related question I have is: the manual says depends on where I live, I can try "Deactivating Ground Monitoring". I haven't done it because I am afraid it could cause safety issues (if the ground wire actually has issues then it will be dangerous). Anyone has experience with "Deactivating Ground Monitoring"?
The grounding is not an issue. Just don't touch the car chassis standing with bare feet on wet ground. You might feel a little current running through your body. But it's harmless.

Generally the problem is, that even with 1.2kW it will take days to charge the car full. Get an electrician in and get a proper installation including grounding!

OP
OP
ACGNerd

ACGNerd

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Taycan RWD in Frozen Blue Metallic
Country flag
Hi All,
Just want to post a quick update here:
Found out the reason, it turns out to be the extension cord.
What i was using is a generic extension cord I got from home improvement store, with that I can only achieve 600W charging.
I bought a 12 gauge 50ft heavy duty cord from Amazon, and using that I can achieve 1.2kW charging with little issues (the error still pops up once every 2 days, but at least it is charging at that 1.2kW rate now).

And BTW I got the quotes from electrician, and hopefully I can have level 2 charging at my house soon!
Sponsored