W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I'm confused with the Power line converter (PLC) setup. The PMC+ in my garage is sending PLC data so I need a receiver/transmitter somewhere in my house.

- I'm on a 240v line which has two 120v legs. Which 'leg' does the PLC data come on?
- the PLC receiver/transmitter I buy from Amazon needs to be plugged into the same leg as the PLC data is being transmitted. If this leg is not the same as the leg which my router is on, is there a PLC 'bridge' from leg to leg which I can put at my electrical panel?
- the PLC adapters on Amazon have ethernet ports. I assume that the PLC adapter I buy at Amazon needs to be collocated with the router?

Last, if I don't need a PLC bridge, it sounds like I need only one PLC adapter?
This may help.

Porsche Taycan Porsche Mobile Charger Plus 6A659023-1E85-472C-8F9D-C09F2AB9EBC0
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
#W1NGE I notice a reference in another stream to the 7m cable EVSE-car but is that compatible with a 13A uk 3-pin plug. I have looked at installing a box but I need an upgrade to 100A before that’s practical.
You can get a longer cable - 7m - EVSE to car - this supply end can still be 13A 3 pin or the 32A industrial connector.

There is no sense in using the 13A supply connector unless you I have a very specific reason to do so? The charging rate will be around 0.1 mile / minute - glaciers move quicker. You really need to use a 32 A connection to get up to 7.4kW and to make home charging worthwhile.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
My car came with this charger as "standard" as well, ordered on April, 2021, received the car on Dec, 2021. So my question is, I don't need to get a "wall charger" as this can be my main charger right? Didn't get chance to use it yet since still waiting to get NEMA plug.
Thank you.
This is not a charger - the charger is built into the car for both AC and DC charging.

What you get ‘free’ is your Electrical Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) or Wall Box and unfortunately people wrongly refer to it as a charger. The Porsche Mobile Charger Plus is your EVSE. You won’t need anything in addition.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Thanks for the diagram but it still doesn’t answer the “which leg does the PMC+ transmit on” question. That said, since I don’t need the Energy Manager, I’ll just revert back to my old Juicebox since I’m having problems charging my Tesla with the PMC+. The Juicebox uses WiFi and sends charging data to my power company so I can get special night time pricing.

Blik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Let an electrician hook up the PMC+ today. Didn't expect the car to come with one since I didn't opt for the PMCC.

Connecting the PMC+ interface over PLC was unsuccessful in my case (not same circuit) also the electrician told me you can only use PLC over the 13A connector (which is useless unless you're willing to wait 72h on a charge, pulled 1.2kW before).

Porsche Taycan Porsche Mobile Charger Plus 8F131D41-AE3C-4141-9D17-6175E8ED082E
Porsche Taycan Porsche Mobile Charger Plus 3C9999FB-7F4C-4952-B593-28025AAAD4EA

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Let an electrician hook up the PMC+ today. Didn't expect the car to come with one since I didn't opt for the PMCC.

Connecting the PMC+ interface over PLC was unsuccessful in my case (not same circuit) also the electrician told me you can only use PLC over the 13A connector (which is useless unless you're willing to wait 72h on a charge, pulled 1.2kW before).

8F131D41-AE3C-4141-9D17-6175E8ED082E.jpeg
3C9999FB-7F4C-4952-B593-28025AAAD4EA.jpeg
PLC will work over the industrial connector - ask your Electrician to check the PMC+ manual.

No real point in networking the PMC+ in any case - charging is managed by profiles and timers via the car, apps or My Porsche web site.

To be of any use at home you need 7.4kW.

PMC+ is standard spec globally as listed on the standard equipment list on the configurator - and 100% up to the task.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
From what I understand, there isn't a "standard" charger anymore. Ie: if you go to a build a car, it's an extra option to add it.
No it's not. Check the standard spec sheet on the configurator to see what EVSE you get and what cabling.

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
Does the charger work with a 30 amp circuit, but just needs a different cable?

Can't you swap out the receptacle for a 14-50 and just run it on a 30a fuse? (e.g. isn't the wiring the same and the difference is the gauge of the wiring)?
For mine I ran 8 gauge wire(bear to work with) from a 50 amp breaker to a 14-50 NEMA outlet.

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Same here.
Mine came standard with the plus as well. Note sure what the difference's are to be honest. I think one model connects to your phone. I don't believe this one does.
I only travel with this charger as a backup if ever needed. I always use EA while its free then I will switch to my Juice Box that I installed in the garage.

Enjoy your your ride, I am loving mine two weeks in now. I will look out for your green ride in NJ!

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Mine came standard with the plus as well. Note sure what the difference's are to be honest. I think one model connects to your phone. I don't believe this one does.
I only travel with this charger as a backup if ever needed. I always use EA while its free then I will switch to my Juice Box that I installed in the garage.

Enjoy your your ride, I am loving mine two weeks in now. I will look out for your green ride in NJ!
I just used my first EA station 2 weeks ago. There were hardly any in Bergen County (still really aren't). Looking forward to more stations being added.

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just used my first EA station 2 weeks ago. There were hardly any in Bergen County (still really aren't). Looking forward to more stations being added.
I have the same issue here in Gloucester county. They are far and few in the area, but luckily there is a station in the Tar-jay parking lot 5 miles away. I go every few days and hang out to juice up! It's not bad, just wish it was coved for bad weather days.
Sponsored

Last edited: