PPS in the US

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Hi all,
I have a 4S and one of the little things I dislike in this amazing car are the plastic parts. I’ve seen a few people in the UK have them done in PPS with body paint. I’d love to get them in black on my CW car. What do you all recommend ?

I can get the aftermarket sports side skirts but can I can them painted in gloss black. Where can I get that done ? What about the front and back ? I don’t have the sports package.

I didn’t like any of this parts in white (body color - too stark) for me. So I wanted them in HGB.
Sponsored

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
PPS is not really available here in the US; my understanding is that it has something to do with the EPA - not sure whether it is a problem with the product itself, disposal/cleanup or both.

You could always have a body shop remove the parts, sand and paint the parts the color you want, and then have them put the parts back on. Since you are not looking for a body color, this technique won't create a color matching challenge. I personally always wanted to see more body color where the plastic parts are, but when I finally saw a car with it done, it didn't look like I imagined it would.

Last thing: Now that I have had the car over a year, what I have noticed is that these parts are in locations that get dirty very quickly. It is possible that if the parts were glossy, it would be more noticeable.

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The plastic/non-matched parts are in places that get a lot of debris damage too from road grime, rocks, etc. While I'm not a fan of all the black ABS plastic, it makes sense from a durability perspective given how low slung the car is and the amount of impact they likely take from driving.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
The plastic/non-matched parts are in places that get a lot of debris damage too from road grime, rocks, etc. While I'm not a fan of all the black ABS plastic, it makes sense from a durability perspective given how low slung the car is and the amount of impact they likely take from driving.
I guess if you wanted those elements painted you could also have them PPF'd for protection, but this wold be getting quite expensive!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Ditto. I don't mind replacing a plastic front lower piece or side skirt and keeping original paint intact. My entire car has painted areas and headlights protected with Xpel Ultimate.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Hi all,
I have a 4S and one of the little things I dislike in this amazing car are the plastic parts. I’ve seen a few people in the UK have them done in PPS with body paint. I’d love to get them in black on my CW car. What do you all recommend ?

I can get the aftermarket sports side skirts but can I can them painted in gloss black. Where can I get that done ? What about the front and back ? I don’t have the sports package.

I didn’t like any of this parts in white (body color - too stark) for me. So I wanted them in HGB.
I too have wrestled with this issue prior to purchasing the Taycan. I first contacted my "wrapper" who immediately advised that PPF was a virtual impossibility due to the plasticizers, etc. in the ABS pieces. Over time the film will just start falling off. The other option is to go to a body shop and have the pieces sanded, primed and painted. It is a simple procedure and not crazy expensive (two side skirts, for example, can be done for about $1K). And, if one is concerned about road debris after having the pieces painted, I think -- but have not confirmed this -- that you could apply the PPF over the primed/painted pieces. When I finally took delivery of my jet black RWD, the appearance of the ABS on the lower portions did not bother me in the slightest. And so I simply had my wrapper smoke-out the red reflectors on the quarter panels/back bumper and call it a day. I suspect that folks with volcano grey are in the same ABS-not-too-offensive boat. But for sure the almost black ABS pieces clash with some of the more vibrant colors. Good luck and please post some post-mod pics!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I too have wrestled with this issue prior to purchasing the Taycan. I first contacted my "wrapper" who immediately advised that PPF was a virtual impossibility due to the plasticizers, etc. in the ABS pieces. Over time the film will just start falling off. The other option is to go to a body shop and have the pieces sanded, primed and painted. It is a simple procedure and not crazy expensive (two side skirts, for example, can be done for about $1K). And, if one is concerned about road debris after having the pieces painted, I think -- but have not confirmed this -- that you could apply the PPF over the primed/painted pieces. When I finally took delivery of my jet black RWD, the appearance of the ABS on the lower portions did not bother me in the slightest. And so I simply had my wrapper smoke-out the red reflectors on the quarter panels/back bumper and call it a day. I suspect that folks with volcano grey are in the same ABS-not-too-offensive boat. But for sure the almost black ABS pieces clash with some of the more vibrant colors. Good luck and please post some post-mod pics!
Yep that was my point too i.e. you could potentially apply the PPF to a painted skirt as indeed it won't work on original ABS finish. A Belgian forum user has already done this painted skirt/front and rear facias and wheel arches on his black CT - looks sharp in that color.
Sponsored