Private mode gets on by itself

Nautilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, X7 50i
Country flag
Hi everyone

The Taycan is my first Porsche and I am very supprised about the software issues I have and how little help the guys at the Porsche dealer are...

Here is the latest: from time to time, the car enables by itself the private mode, so the car is not reachable with the Connect App anymore. Usually when I get then in the car, I disable the private mode and that's it. Needless to say, that I am loosing everytime my favorite radio stations, home and work adresses in the NAV and other settings...

But today it's even worse: in the car the private mode is disabled but the app continues saying the car is in the private mode. I even drove 2 hours with the car and closed it. It's still the same.

Did anyone have the same problem?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi everyone

The Taycan is my first Porsche and I am very supprised about the software issues I have and how little help the guys at the Porsche dealer are...

Here is the latest: from time to time, the car enables by itself the private mode, so the car is not reachable with the Connect App anymore. Usually when I get then in the car, I disable the private mode and that's it. Needless to say, that I am loosing everytime my favorite radio stations, home and work adresses in the NAV and other settings...

But today it's even worse: in the car the private mode is disabled but the app continues saying the car is in the private mode. I even drove 2 hours with the car and closed it. It's still the same.

Not seen that issue before. Random thought but try using different car keys when you set / disable private mode and then lock the car. Go through the motions again of unlocking, power on, check if in private mode or remained disabled.

OP
OP

Nautilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, X7 50i
Country flag
Not seen that issue before. Random thought but try using different car keys when you set / disable private mode and then lock the car. Go through the motions again of unlocking, power on, check if in private mode or remained disabled.
Thanks W1NGE

Actually the car is not in private mode (according to the settings in the PCM), so it should be fine. But the Connect App and the Web Application both indicate that the car is in private mode. Therfore I can not connect to the car.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Thanks W1NGE

Actually the car is not in private mode (according to the settings in the PCM), so it should be fine. But the Connect App and the Web Application both indicate that the car is in private mode. Therfore I can not connect to the car.
Your OTA-module probably corrupted itself.
It's a known issue.
That means a visit to the dealer I'm afraid.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks W1NGE

Ok, and you have good reception where the car is (normally)?

Before pressing the nuclear button perhaps try uninstalling the app (log out of it first) and reinstalling. It could be the servers are out of sync and need a kickstart.

OP
OP

Nautilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, X7 50i
Country flag
Ok, and you have good reception where the car is (normally)?

Before pressing the nuclear button perhaps try uninstalling the app (log out of it first) and reinstalling. It could be the servers are out of sync and need a kickstart.
That worked!

Now that you mention it, I have actually bad reception in the garage where the Taycan is, Sometimes it connects, sometimes it looses connection. Maybe this is the cause for some of the issues I encounter. I need to fix that.

Thanks for your help!

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi everyone

Mine did the same thing yesterday (while I was out). All services went offline and I couldn't re-enable it. Last night, the car finally let me re-enable it, buy like you, the app was still stuck thinking the car was in private mode (and none of the connected services in the car, like Apple Music, actually worked). I believe it happens when their cloud servers offline and the car is left disconnected unexpectedly. Seems they don't handle that case well.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Mine did the same thing yesterday (while I was out). All services went offline and I couldn't re-enable it. Last night, the car finally let me re-enable it, buy like you, the app was still stuck thinking the car was in private mode (and none of the connected services in the car, like Apple Music, actually worked). I believe it happens when their cloud servers offline and the car is left disconnected unexpectedly. Seems they don't handle that case well.
Link to information about no remote access from app/website supposedly due to privacy mode enabled and/or no LTE: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...ssues-using-my-porsche-app.17709/#post-272507

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
The specific situation of the app thinking the car is in private mode, and the car NOT being in private mode, does happen regularly. Typically it seems to happen when you are communicating with the car and you hit some bad signal coverage, eg when you are on a train.

In my view this is a bug. The system should be resilient to temporary poor signal and should recover without waiting for us to get back and unlock the car.

Suggestion: each time it happens, shake your phone to get the report screen and report it as a bug.

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The specific situation of the app thinking the car is in private mode, and the car NOT being in private mode, does happen regularly. Typically it seems to happen when you are communicating with the car and you hit some bad signal coverage, eg when you are on a train.

In my view this is a bug. The system should be resilient to temporary poor signal and should recover without waiting for us to get back and unlock the car.

Suggestion: each time it happens, shake your phone to get the report screen and report it as a bug.
in this case I am home where the app has very good connectivity. The car is connected, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say it has a strong signal in the garage. It does normally work enough that I can get status for things like charging and I can lock/unlock remotely when needed too.

I totally agree that they need to handle connectivity issues much better than they do, especially in the car. There is no cellular network that will provide 100% continuous coverage, yet the PCM seems to assume that it will be always connected. When it isn’t, especially when first turned on, things tend to get into a mess.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I have – the relatively rare – remote parking option. I recently came out of a shop to find cars parked right up beside both side of my Taycan.

Ah – I thought – perfect opportunity to use remote parking! I'll just use my phone to reverse my car out of the spot and then can hop in easily.

Whip, out my phone: privacy mode activated. Damn it!

bluedonkey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Pulled the car out of the garage yesterday to get the kids' bikes out, and lo and behold everything was back to active, the car no longer felt it was in private mode. The app on my phone is still stuck showing the car in private mode (unless it has gone down again overnight - I'll take a look later when I can get away from my desk for a few minutes).

Donlam

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron, Porsche Taycan rwd 23
Country flag
I have – the relatively rare – remote parking option. I recently came out of a shop to find cars parked right up beside both side of my Taycan.

Ah – I thought – perfect opportunity to use remote parking! I'll just use my phone to reverse my car out of the spot and then can hop in easily.

Whip, out my phone: privacy mode activated. Damn it!
Try unlock and lock the car with remote fob. Privacy mode will be deactivated. It works for me.
Sponsored