PSA, Very Useful Information Regarding 12V Battery Issues and a Potential Solution.

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
While this was posted on another forum and the information was provided to 992 owners, this may prove useful to Taycan owners too. Please take the time to read. Might be worth a sticky too.

Bottom line up front (BLUF). Anti-gravity batteries has a feature on their lightweight lithium battery which has incorporated a much more user friendly system to awaken their batteries, a key fob!

Antigravity;17361178 said:
We, Antigravity Batteries make aftermarket lightweight Lithium Batteries for Porsches and all other Cars too, so I'll add some information to this excellent post about what is going on with a Lithium Battery if over-discharged and they go into Protection/Sleep mode and shut down. I'll add a few things about Chargers too.

A high quality Modern Automotive Lithium Battery, like Porsches latest Lithium Battery, or Antigravity's Lithium Batteries have what is called a Battery Management System (BMS) inside the Battery. It is basically a Circuit Board that has settings programmed to put the battery into a Protection Mode if Over-Discharged, Over-Charged, Short-Circuited and other potential issues that could damage the Battery. For an Over-Discharge scenario (the most common issue) the battery usually goes into what we will call a SLEEP MODE where it basically shuts itself down so that any load or parasitic draw on the battery cannot continue to drain the battery. The reason the Lithium Battery does this is because it protects the battery's Lithium Cells from being damaged. The fact is ANY type of Battery be it Lead/Acid, or Lithium is damaged by being over discharged below a certain voltage usually in the 8-9v range, but being conservative the Lithium Batteries are usually set to go to Sleep//Protection Mode in the 11v~12v range since that is basically safely away from being damaged yet still has some power left within the battery.

So when the BMS goes into Sleep/Protection Mode and shuts down the battery due to being Over-Discharged, it will need to be awakened by seeing sufficient Voltage and Current to know it can WAKE-UP to be operative and accept a charge again. So in effect the Battery's BMS needs to see a certain voltage to awaken and then begin charging. It is usually about 12.5v or above, so connecting a battery source that has that is 12.5v or above to your Lithium battery for a few seconds will usually will awaken it. But keep in mind a Modern Charger will in most all circumstances NOT awaken your Lithium Battery because if the Charger does not see Voltage at its clamps then it will not put out any Charging Voltage/Current. So simply Connecting most Modern chargers will NOT work because these modern chargers have a safety feature that does not allow them to put out energy UNLESS they see some voltage at their clamps to recognize they are connected to a battery. Additionally Modern Chargers start at a very low voltage then ramp up to higher voltage and current... so they are not starting at 12.5v which is needed to awaken the BMS. The same is true for many of the small Lithium Jump Starters because they have built in protections at the clamps..., so they also will not send energy to the clamps unless they see some voltage from a battery. But some of these new Lithium Jump Starter such as our Antigravity MICRO-START models do have a bypass button to press that will allow voltage to the clamps and in most cases can awaken the Lithium Battery. Also note that SOME Charger companies are now putting a BMS RE-SET button on their Chargers that will send the appropriate PULSE of energy to awaken the BMS on a Lithium Automobile Battery. In fact we developed this with Optimate Chargers because we wanted a Charger that could do this on the fly.... meaning you simply press a specific "BMS RESET" button located on the Charger and it provide a PULSE of energy to the Battery to specifically awaken the Battery's BMS from it's SLEEP/PROTECTION mode... the Optimate unit is called the TM-271 that has this feature.

So I just wanted to explain that to awaken a BMS on most Lithium Batteries requires Voltage to be applied to the terminals that is usually above the 12.5v range to wake it up, and just putting a charger on it won't do it because of the Chargers safety features.

Now to toot our own horn a bit.... at Antigravity Batteries we have incorporated a much more user friendly system to awaken our batteries. You can do it Wirelessly with the Keyfob that comes with our Battery, or use the Button that is located directly on our Battery to wake it up manually. So with our Lithium battery you never would be locked out of the Frunk or have to use the Fuse box area since you can wake up it up with our Wireless Keyfob. And last our battery has a RESERVE that allows you to start the Car even after its fully discharged which Porsche Battery can't do. Unfortunately the new Porsches using their new Lithium Battery have a LIN BUS system that plugs into the Car itself to transmit voltage data and information so you cannot use aftermarket Batteries as a replacement yet.
Sponsored

OP
OP
F16HTON

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
I spoke with the folks at Antigravity Batteries and provided them with the OEM 12v battery part number, 9J1-915-105-EY.

They are going to research and get back to me what will be the most suitable replacement option they have.

Will report back when I receive the reply.

Reactions: 1AX

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
I spoke with the folks at Antigravity Batteries and provided them with the OEM 12v battery part number, 9J1-915-105-EY.

They are going to research and get back to me what will be the most suitable replacement option they have.

Will report back when I receive the reply.
The last sentence could be a problem- Unfortunately the new Porsches using their new Lithium Battery have a LIN BUS system that plugs into the Car itself to transmit voltage data and information so you cannot use aftermarket Batteries as a replacement yet.

mziegler38

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2019 991.2 C4S
Country flag
The last sentence could be a problem- Unfortunately the new Porsches using their new Lithium Battery have a LIN BUS system that plugs into the Car itself to transmit voltage data and information so you cannot use aftermarket Batteries as a replacement yet.
Read the reply. Do you believe the 12v battery does not get charged

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
Read the reply. Do you believe the 12v battery does not get charged
Not quite sure what you are asking- I did read the entire thread from @F16TON and the item I was concerned about in regards to an after market battery solution was the last sentence in the email from Anti-Grav battteries to F16TON. It will be interesting to see their reply if the have a Taycan compatible battery.