louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Half of the population is below average.

Lots of websites to take advantage of the science-challenged.
Sponsored

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
Half of the population is below average.

Lots of websites to take advantage of the science-challenged.
That’s rude, although I can’t tell which side you think is being taken advantage of. Reputable, peer reviewed, multimillion dollar long term studies have shown that cell phone radiation causes cancer in rats: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/new-studies-link-cell-phone-radiation-with-cancer/
You can assume they don’t apply to humans for whatever reason but you don’t have as much scientific ground to stand on as you might think.

As for EVs, notice how many don’t have AM radio? That’s because the electric motors generate radiation (which is just EM waves) that interferes with reception. So it is absolutely true that electric cars expose you to more radiation than ICE. Yes it’s non ionizing, but so is cell phone radiation.

Don’t get me wrong, this isn’t stopping me from getting a Taycan, but there’s no reason to denigrate the scientific literacy of people who are skeptical. Being skeptical is how we discover new things.

OP
OP

stevie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bmw
Country flag
@Tay Tay - thanks ? - wise words - it won’t stop me getting a Taycan either but like any educated individual I like to know all the facts before I commit to anything - have a Merry Christmas ?

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Thanks all good advice - it was less around the components in the cabin - lights etc it was more about the batteries that line the base of the car and on which the passengers sit - I know a normal phone battery emits radiation so wandered what such a significant amount of batteries would do with an EV
For just the battery itself (EV or phone), this is a DC component, so it is sitting there at 0 Hz. No switching frequency means no EMF!

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Physics teacher here. There are two types of radiation, ionizing and non-ionizing. The only way non-ionizing radiation can hurt you, is by heating you up (like a microwave oven does to food). Ionizing radiation (alpha, beta, gamma, x-ray etc) hurts you in several ways (destroying tissue, destroying DNA) in large amounts but is not present in electric fields.

If electric fields were a problem, MRI machines would be dangerous, they are not. In addition, the energy in your car is stored chemically, and cannot emit any radiation when the cells are full. Energy is only transmitted when the motor is asking for power.

If you are worried about electromagnetic fields, I would spec the car without a seat heater since that is the electric device closest that is most likely to heat you up.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Physics teacher here. There are two types of radiation, ionizing and non-ionizing. The only way non-ionizing radiation can hurt you, is by heating you up (like a microwave oven does to food).
From Scientific American (link in my previous post):

The ionizing radiation given off by sources such as x-ray machines and the sun boosts cancer risk by shredding molecules in the body. But the non-ionizing radio-frequency (RF) radiation that cell phones and other wireless devices emit has just one known biological effect: an ability to heat tissue by exciting its molecules.

Still, evidence advanced by the studies shows prolonged exposure to even very low levels of RF radiation, perhaps by mechanisms other than heating that remain unknown, makes rats uniquely prone to a rare tumor called a schwannoma, which affects a type of neuron (or nerve cell) called a Schwann cell.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
from the headline of the SciAmerican’s article…the article starts out by drawing it’s own conclusions into question. To date there is no convincing evidence non ionizing EMF present any dangers.

but skeptics say the evidence from rat studies is not convincing

Wendal

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Taycan 4s
Country flag
Life is too short, maybe the food we eat will kill us first before the car or phone.

Go buy the damn car already. You will not regret.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
Still, evidence advanced by the studies shows prolonged exposure to even very low levels of RF radiation, perhaps by mechanisms other than heating that remain unknown, makes rats uniquely prone to a rare tumor called a schwannoma, which affects a type of neuron (or nerve cell) called a Schwann cell.
A schwannoma is a usually benign nerve sheath tumor composed of Schwann cells, which normally produce the insulating myelin sheath covering peripheral nerves.

This doesn't worry me at all.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score