First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Doesn’t that just heat the cabin?
No it also warms the battery, that is why it sets the timer for an hour - 500kg of battery takes a lot more heating than a few grams of air and leather - the cabin warms in 10 mins IME.

It also pre-warms the battery if you use a timer with departure time and temperature, though I haven’t done it without the cabin heating too. Last time I let it run the full hour the battery temp went from 4C to 16C, so from very low capacity to near normal during the hour.

OP
OP

faithnomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST 4S
Country flag
No it also warms the battery, that is why it sets the timer for an hour - 500kg of battery takes a lot more heating than a few grams of air and leather - the cabin warms in 10 mins IME.

It also pre-warms the battery if you use a timer with departure time and temperature, though I haven’t done it without the cabin heating too. Last time I let it run the full hour the battery temp went from 4C to 16C, so from very low capacity to near normal during the hour.
Ok thank you - I didn’t realize that. How much kWh does it burn doing this?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok thank you - I didn’t realize that. How much kWh does it burn doing this?
I haven’t looked but I have only done it on the timer when plugged in, it will be a lot since the charge got to the set level 1 hour before then the heating started and that was at around 7kW, so maybe 7kWh as an estimate???

DGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS Rubystar, Fiat 500e La Prima Cabriolet
Country flag
I haven’t looked but I have only done it on the timer when plugged in, it will be a lot since the charge got to the set level 1 hour before then the heating started and that was at around 7kW, so maybe 7kWh as an estimate???
yeah, it's in the 5-8khw range based on my experience, and of course the temperature in or outside of the heated or unheated garage

OP
OP

faithnomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST 4S
Country flag
yeah, it's in the 5-8khw range based on my experience, and of course the temperature in or outside of the heated or unheated garage
Ok - but then you don’t damage your battery s much and gain by consuming less while driving ?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok - but then you don’t damage your battery s much and gain by consuming less while driving ?
The main thing is cold batteries have lower capacity so the range will be less whilst the battery warms up and I find the acceleration less - though that could be expectation bias.

DGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS Rubystar, Fiat 500e La Prima Cabriolet
Country flag
i keep the room temperature 18c in my garage, and the battery temperature is around 14c +/-, so I don't need to set up a timer to preheat the battery/car.
Sponsored