Jackson

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 640d, CT4
Country flag
Porsche is known for underestimated numbers for acceleration they claim for its car.
CT4 claimed to reach 1-100 km/h for 5.1 (0.3 seconds faster than RWD)

Who had a chance to measure real acceleration in the wild? I suspect it should be around 4.7 - 4.8.
Sponsored

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
I'm trying to find the youtube video I recently watched which showed it doing the time in 4.7, but for the life of me can't locate it. Definitely faster than Porsche lets on, like all their cars.

ElectricSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2021 Taycan 4 CT in Crayon
Country flag
Porsche is known for underestimated numbers for acceleration they claim for its car.
CT4 claimed to reach 1-100 km/h for 5.1 (0.3 seconds faster than RWD)

Who had a chance to measure real acceleration in the wild? I suspect it should be around 4.7 - 4.8.
Related, I'm curious about real world range (from InsideEVs, Bjorn or someone used to making consistent range tests) of the CT 4.

It's not uncommon for Porsche to under-evaluate the range of the lower-spec models to not make
the more expensive specs look like worse deals ...

RallyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT
Country flag
Related, I'm curious about real world range (from InsideEVs, Bjorn or someone used to making consistent range tests) of the CT 4.

It's not uncommon for Porsche to under-evaluate the range of the lower-spec models to not make
the more expensive specs look like worse deals ...
And also not to run afoul of any regulatory investigations.

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a35385367/2020-porsche-taycan-4s-by-the-numbers/

C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 3.4 sec
100 mph: 8.1 sec
130 mph: 13.9 sec
150 mph: 20.1 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 3.9 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 1.7 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 2.1 sec
1/4 mile: 11.7 sec @ 120 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 155 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 147 ft
Braking, 100–0 mph: 289 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.03 g

That's for the 4S sedan though - with the 4S CT being a tad bit heavier, you might lose 0.1-0.2s, but both cars are already heavy, so I don't think it will be too big of a difference.

CT4 I haven't seen any metrics on yet.

For reference, below is what C&D got for the Turbo S sedan (all metrics should be similar for the Turbo as well, since the extra HP is only used on launch control so only affecting the 0-60 really).

C/D TEST RESULTS
Rollout, 1 ft: 0.2 sec
60 mph: 2.4 sec
100 mph: 6.0 sec
130 mph: 10.5 sec
150 mph: 15.2 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 2.9 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 1.1 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 1.6 sec
¼-mile: 10.5 sec @ 130 mph
Top speed (mfr's claim): 162 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 155 ft
Braking, 100–0 mph: 306 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.99 g

Last edited:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't think Porsche is underestimating their 0-60. Their numbers are just the real ones. The magazines are overestimating and they usually use rollout.
I had a Macan S that Porsche listed as 5 sec 0-60. Every magazine claimed 4.5-4.7sec. I had measured mine multiple times, I never got under 5sec. Same thing with my Taycan 4s. Porsche's numbers are the real ones assuming you measure without rollout.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
I don't think Porsche is underestimating their 0-60. Their numbers are just the real ones. The magazines are overestimating and they usually use rollout.
I had a Macan S that Porsche listed as 5 sec 0-60. Every magazine claimed 4.5-4.7sec. I had measured mine multiple times, I never got under 5sec. Same thing with my Taycan 4s. Porsche's numbers are the real ones assuming you measure without rollout.
Hmm, somehow I don't think your anecdote disproves decades of Porsche under reporting performance numbers. This is pretty common knowledge. Was that will launch control?

Youtube is just littered with Porsche videos from all models consistently beating their 0-60 speeds. Often these are just regular guys and not magazine reporters.

I've had 3 Porsche's myself. My 718 Boxster S was rated at 4 seconds with launch control, consistently hit it in 3.8. My wife has a 2019 Cayenne E-hybrid, 0-60 in 4.7 but consistently can hit 4.5 in launch. My 4S hits the mid 3's just about every single time in launch.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hmm, somehow I don't think your anecdote disproves decades of Porsche under reporting performance numbers. This is pretty common knowledge. Was that will launch control?

Youtube is just littered with Porsche videos from all models consistently beating their 0-60 speeds. Often these are just regular guys and not magazine reporters.

I've had 3 Porsche's myself. My 718 Boxster S was rated at 4 seconds with launch control, consistently hit it in 3.8. My wife has a 2019 Cayenne E-hybrid, 0-60 in 4.7 but consistently can hit 4.5 in launch. My 4S hits the mid 3's just about every single time in launch.
I haven't seen mid 3s for my 4S.
How do you measure these numbers? What tool do you use? Is it from a standstill?

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
I haven't seen mid 3s for my 4S.
How do you measure these numbers? What tool do you use? Is it from a standstill?
I use a G-Tech meter that'll give you 0-60, 100, and quarter mile times.

It's always from a standstill in launch control. Rolling starts are usually quite a bit slower.

Greenmachine

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 Range Rover, Tacoma
Country flag
I measured 4.8 secs with launch control on CT4 on the highest quality Swiss speed tarmac ?
That’s very encouraging for people like myself who have ordered a CT4. I originally wanted a 4s but downgraded my order to get an allocation this year and quite frankly wouldn’t ever be trying to race it. I was concerned that it wouldn’t feel fast enough for a Porsche even if my family hates going that fast anyway. How is it accelerating for overtaking?

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
That’s very encouraging for people like myself who have ordered a CT4. I originally wanted a 4s but downgraded my order to get an allocation this year and quite frankly wouldn’t ever be trying to race it. I was concerned that it wouldn’t feel fast enough for a Porsche even if my family hates going that fast anyway. How is it accelerating for overtaking?
I would describe the acceleration as violent!

Although of course the 4S is even faster I don’t “feel” any difference in the “acceleration experience” from what I remember when I test drove the 4S coupe. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. It is just such a pleasure to drive.

Last edited: