philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
Here is my data - Scenario is that we just did a trip from Seattle to Bend OR - route was through Salem and then across the 20 pass.

To Bend - Weather was FULL BLIZZARD through the hwy 20 pass
- 361 miles, 9:12hr driving time, 40mph avg, 1.7 mi/kwh - used 212kw total. ~2.1hr charging
- Temps hit -26F in the pass and a good section of the pass was 1 ft snow covered, so a lot more energy was used to heat the cabin, battery and push through the snow
- Main risk of the trip was if the charging station in lost full power - we would have been stranded in a little town in severe weather. I did have to break off a layer of ice on the Chargepoint station in Mill City - that was very close to a failed trip\emergency\very angry wife!! :\

Back to Seattle - Roads were mostly clear through the pass - compact ice patches - once we got to the i5 it was very rainly through Portland and only let up until we got into the sound area
- 363 miles, 9:24hr driving time, 40mph avg. 2.1 mi/kwh - used 173kw total ~ 1.9hr charging

Charing - We used a mix of charging networks
- EA mainly on the i5 stretches - EA is very dissapointing all up - there are always broken stations and it never gets charging rates close to max - even the 150s i only saw 80 being dispensed. I only had one time where the 350 gave me 200 for 5 mins (green lightning bolt), but then it fell to 80. Some stations wouldnt unlock the charger for a good minute - why?!?! id hit stop on the booth and white solid light for a while.. why is that so hard??!
- Chargepoint - Main one for the mountain pass was Mill City - I LOVE CHARGEPOINT! All stations working, super quick to negotiate charge, app gives you data AND instant disconnect. The stations were 62wh and would ALWAYS hit that. Also used the ChargePoint in Bend and worked the way it should!

EA is faster on average at 1.8 kw/minute vs ChargePoint 0.94 kw/min, but its advertised as 4-5x faster, NOT 2x! EA was the only network where I had to wait for a charger as well - i didnt do the math to see how that impacted overall time charging+waiting, but then it starts to even out more. I need to look up faster ChargePoint chargers for my next trip - Revelstoke, but the wife wants to rent an ICE for that one! The main thing that is holding her back is the Taycan with our winter tires is much much safer than a rental on all seasons.

Hope this helps!

phil.
Sponsored

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag
haha - note - I lived in Toronto before Seattle