Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cadillac Escalade, Lincoln, Maserati
Country flag
Hi all,
My first posting.
The Taycan is our first electric car, first Porsche.
Anyways, my other half keeps asking this question that I do not know how to answer.
If regenerating is on or range is on and you are driving downhill, by the time you reach the end of the mountain, can the car have gained more battery than when it start its descend, in other other words, can you "charge" the car going downhill, even if it is a minimum amount or will it be just like the other posting said, your are "loosing less".
Sponsored

TIM

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes!
Country flag
Hi all,
My first posting.
The Taycan is our first electric car, first Porsche.
Anyways, my other half keeps asking this question that I do not know how to answer.
If regenerating is on or range is on and you are driving downhill, by the time you reach the end of the mountain, can the car have gained more battery than when it start its descend, in other other words, can you "charge" the car going downhill, even if it is a minimum amount or will it be just like the other posting said, your are "loosing less".
I can confirm that you vehicle can charge the going downhill (I live uphill and when I arrive downhill I gained 1-2%: it's a 7 km long road with an altitude difference of about 650m)

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
+1 - yes EV's w/reneration (Audi Etron, Taycan, Tesla, Bolt) all can go downhill and both not lose or even gain battery power - in particular in California the grape vine (HWY 5 south/north bound) are "nearly free" for the downhill segment of the trip - keep in mind Mother Nature balances her books and you can not get more than you put in - i.e. you used power going up hill (say 100 units of energy) but you may gain back 30-60 units of that "100 units" spent on the downhill segment…

even not losing battery (i.e. start uphill @72% battery and arrive downhill at 72% battery) is "winning" cause you basically ran the car (radio, heating/cooling, etc…) and covered some distance for zero % battery "cost" - so even if you do not gain battery capacity - covering distance for "zero cost" is a win…

it's really very very cool

HWY 80 south bound from Tahoe to Sacramento in Northern California is also a great place where EV going downhill makes the cost for the distance covered virtually zero or less (gain some power)…

OP
OP
karamello

karamello

First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can confirm that you vehicle can charge the going downhill (I live uphill and when I arrive downhill I gained 1-2%: it's a 7 km long road with an altitude difference of about 650m)
Thank you for your insight!

OP
OP
karamello

karamello

First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
+1 - yes EV's w/reneration (Audi Etron, Taycan, Tesla, Bolt) all can go downhill and both not lose or even gain battery power - in particular in California the grape vine (HWY 5 south/north bound) are "nearly free" for the downhill segment of the trip - keep in mind Mother Nature balances her books and you can not get more than you put in - i.e. you used power going up hill (say 100 units of energy) but you may gain back 30-60 units of that "100 units" spent on the downhill segment…

even not losing battery (i.e. start uphill @72% battery and arrive downhill at 72% battery) is "winning" cause you basically ran the car (radio, heating/cooling, etc…) and covered some distance for zero % battery "cost" - so even if you do not gain battery capacity - covering distance for "zero cost" is a win…

it's really very very cool

HWY 80 south bound from Tahoe to Sacramento in Northern California is also a great place where EV going downhill makes the cost for the distance covered virtually zero or less (gain some power)…

OP
OP
karamello

karamello

First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you for your insight. I have not gained the courage as of yet to drive on Hwy 5 since we still are having the "charging issues" on EA. Once this is resolved we will take a long trip and probably going either on 101 to the bay area or taking 5.

Gubbjaevel

First Name
F
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TaycanT'20
Country flag
Edit: Read the 1st question wrong. Others have already answered adequately.

Last edited:

SYN_Skydance

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s and MG ZS EV
Country flag
When driving either my BMW i3 or my Volvo T8 hybrid on my regular journey home from work, which was downhill for the second half of the journey, would result in having more charge in the battery when I arrived home than when I was only half way back.

Both cars have much more aggressive regen than my Taycan. I’m not sure how much battery life goes back into the Taycan‘s battery from just coasting but using your bakes will certainly increase the battery charge level, on a downhill journey.

When things turn back to normal, Covid wise, I’ll be able to further test the battery state in my Taycan.

TIM

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes!
Country flag
@daveo4EV you remark was insightful, so to give the overall picture for the same road 7 km long, 650m elevation:
Downhill ~ -30 kWh / 100 km
Uphill ~ 100 kWh / 100 km

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
One note, probably obvious: If you have charged your battery to 100% then go on a long downhill drive, you may not get any benefit. However if it's cold outside (or if the battery is cold) the regen could power interior heating, your music, and pre-heating the battery for more efficient driving once you have completed the downhill (set drive mode to Sport Plus).
Sponsored